Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:45 AM

12 posts, read 47,570 times

Advertisements

I was hoping some of you could provide some insite related to these two counties. My husband is looking at a position in Fairfax County (Chantilly area) which may within 2 years move to Prince Williams County.
We love the area, and would relocate however, I was hoping to get some insites to the different areas.
I have been reading the blogs and was hoping to be able to narrow things down.
We drove around and looks at the different neighborhoods in Ashburn (like it but it may be a bit far out). We looked at South Riding (seemed like another neighborhood). We also thought we may look in Centerville - in efforts to stay within Fairfax County but possibly be a bit more affordable.

What is your opinions on Prince Williams County - we drove through some beautiful neighborhoods throughout and in a town called Bristow.

Anyway any opinions would be appreciated. We have a 4 years old so we are concerned with school districts and I am not a stay at home mom. I work in the legal field.
Thanks.

Last edited by jsbower; 08-27-2008 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 AM

218 posts, read 546,973 times
I live in Prince William county and have been living here since 2001. Dumfries to be exact. Prince William county is beautiful. My husband works in Chantilly and I work in Tysons Corner. We commute everyday. I woudl suggest Manassas area. There is Manassas City, Manassas Park and then Manassas. I think Manassas Park is the one you should stay away from, but I'll ask around cuz I heard some distrubing things about that. I live close to Manassas off 234 and its nice. Bristow, Gainesville and haymarket are all nice and are sprouting new communities and getting alot of new reail and business there.

Any community off of the 234 area is nice, Lake Ridge, and Woodbridge off the Sprigss rd, hoadley rd and Ridgfield Blvd area nice as well. If you look over on the other side of 95 whihc has dumfries, and woodbridge, I would suggest Southbridge, Princeton Woods, Eagles Pointe, Port Potomac, Powells Landing, Potomac club....well pretty much any community near cardinal dr, rt 1 from Northern Virginia community college on south to Dumfries is great. We are experiencing alot of new developments in real estate, schools and shopping.

As for the schools, Prince William schools are great not as great as Fairfax county but we are still great. We have alot of christian private schools, montessori and new and improved elementary schools.

You can find great affordable homes now. many new communities used to be $700K+ but since the real estate bubble popped and many going into foreclosures and short sales you can get alot of home that are less than 2 years old or new home construction for $200K-400K.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
PWC has the VRE and Omnibus. Loudoun has 1 bus to DC.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Arrogance View Post
I live in Prince William county and have been living here since 2001. Dumfries to be exact. Prince William county is beautiful. My husband works in Chantilly and I work in Tysons Corner. We commute everyday. I woudl suggest Manassas area. There is Manassas City, Manassas Park and then Manassas. I think Manassas Park is the one you should stay away from, but I'll ask around cuz I heard some distrubing things about that. I live close to Manassas off 234 and its nice. Bristow, Gainesville and haymarket are all nice and are sprouting new communities and getting alot of new reail and business there.

Any community off of the 234 area is nice, Lake Ridge, and Woodbridge off the Sprigss rd, hoadley rd and Ridgfield Blvd area nice as well. If you look over on the other side of 95 whihc has dumfries, and woodbridge, I would suggest Southbridge, Princeton Woods, Eagles Pointe, Port Potomac, Powells Landing, Potomac club....well pretty much any community near cardinal dr, rt 1 from Northern Virginia community college on south to Dumfries is great. We are experiencing alot of new developments in real estate, schools and shopping.

As for the schools, Prince William schools are great not as great as Fairfax county but we are still great. We have alot of christian private schools, montessori and new and improved elementary schools.

You can find great affordable homes now. many new communities used to be $700K+ but since the real estate bubble popped and many going into foreclosures and short sales you can get alot of home that are less than 2 years old or new home construction for $200K-400K.
I would stay away from anything off of Rt.1 if you are looking for good schools. Stick with Gainesville or Nokesville if you pick PWC, otherwise go to Fairfax.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM

9 posts, read 41,990 times
If schools are important I would stick with Fairfax County. House prices in PW are lower so that may be a consideration, but I think overall that Fairfax schools are better and the people are more tolerant.

I grew up in Fairfax, lived in Prince William, and now live in Arlington. I think Fairfax has great resources (parks, recreation centers, etc.) and has well-developed community services. PW is still developing (and you can tell, with all of the new communities that spring up everywhere).

Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 AM

12 posts, read 47,570 times
THank you all for your comments. Does anyone have any opinions of Louden County as well?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 AM

105 posts, read 351,996 times
Prince William is known as P-Willy. That should give you some idea right away.

P-Willy is a lower cost of living area. At the Wawa at Leesylvania there are local fisherman who sell crabs out of a pattywagon(they are very good mind you). You will not find this in Fairfax county. Two very different counties.

Fairfax cnty. you will find alot more higher end restaurants, example: Tims Rivershore restaurant in PW, shirts are optional(though this is one of my top 5 restaurants). The malls in PW are far inferior to Pentagon City, Fair Oaks, Tysons Corner I & II. ect.

Correct me if I am wrong but there are still trailer parks in PW. There are none in FFX cnty.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Regarding Prince William County - for your husband's commute, looking in Bristow, Gainesville, and the northern part of Manassas (zip code 20109) would all be fine. The schools are pretty decent to excellent across the board, certainly equivalent or better to those in Centreville. Once you narrow things down a little more I'm sure folks can give advice on particular school districts - I know Brentsville and Battlefield HS districts are considered primo, and Stonewall Jackson rates pretty well also, particularly for their IB program. Obviously with a 4 year old HS isn't on your minds, but good high schools typically have good elementary and middle feeder schools.

Some of this may depend on your commute as well - you didn't mention where you'll have to commute to?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but there are still trailer parks in PW. There are none in FFX cnty.
There are still a few trailer parks in Fairfax County (and one in Fairfax City)....so I'm sure Prince William must still have them.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:00 PM

55 posts, read 199,584 times
I was born and raised in Fairfax. I now live in Bristow, VA in PW County. My husband and I have been here just about 5 years. First, the cost of homes is far cheaper here then in Fairfax thus one of the reasons we choose here. I've owned in the past in Fairfax and felt like a slave to a mortgage and that is not my style of living (but I was also single then).

We do not have children as we married later in life, but if I did have kids - I would honestly choose living in Fairfax County over PW UNLESS we lived where we do now. Don't take me wrong, there are some good schools in PW but the newer neighborhoods, etc. in this area has brought about some really good schools. Yes, the roads aren't the greatest right now but they are working on them and things have improved traffic wise whether people think so or not. The next phase down on 29 is going to take about 4 years and that is going to be pretty bad but the quality of stores, etc. that they have brought into this area is superior compared to Manassas, etc. Although I will throw in a HUGE plug for my favorite store in Manassas which is FLOWER GALLERY! Really, really nice store.

As far as a mall in PW - what a joke. Manassas Mall is so sad. I shop most of the time at Fair Oaks if I need to go to a Mall or the Leesburg Outlet Mall which is quite nice. I'm not a fan of Potomac Mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia