Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You find that to some degree any place, and certainly in any metro area that has a lot of transitional people. "What do you do" is a standard conversation opener.
I always thought that was true, until I moved to a smaller midwestern community. But when I meet people here who aren't connected with the university where my DH works (and which is the largest single employer in the area), they don't usually mention what they do for a living, or ask me what I do. And, when I do ask, I'm always surprised that NONE of them is a lawyer, lobbyist, diplomat, or journalist.
But there are LOTS of doctors and people who work at companies that actually make things. Stunning. Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
I always thought that was true, until I moved to a smaller midwestern community. But when I meet people here who aren't connected with the university where my DH works (and which is the largest single employer in the area), they don't usually mention what they do for a living, or ask me what I do. And, when I do ask, I'm always surprised that NONE of them is a lawyer, lobbyist, diplomat, or journalist.
But there are LOTS of doctors and people who work at companies that actually make things. Stunning. Who knew?
But wouldn't that be true, more or less, in smaller communities throughout the US?

OP, are you inquiring about Fairfax City, Fairfax Co., or the unincorporated (yes, there are incorporated towns in Fairfax Co. - see Vienna) parts of the latter with a Fairfax mailing address?

Fairfax County is huge and diverse (not just in racial terms - in that sense, Fairfax City is diverse, too) and includes lots and lots of "census-designated areas" with kinda-sorta (and that's being very generous, mind you ) their own identies - McLean, Springfield, Annandale, Reston, Clifton, unincorporated Fairfax, Fort Hunt, etc. Fairfax City, on the other hand, is a cute (I and my family think so, anyway!) incorporated community that has way more to do with GMU, in many ways, than the non-GMU areas surrounding the 'city.' It's like there's a communication/awareness gap of sorts between the two.. mostly in the Fairfax County > City direction. That's not a complaint, actually.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Fairfax City, on the other hand, is a cute (I and my family think so, anyway!) incorporated community that has way more to do with GMU, in many ways, than the non-GMU areas surrounding the 'city.'
I can't wait to see your photos of Fairfax City. You've gotten me intrigued about this little town.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 PM

24 posts, read 64,386 times
Default Well, hold on a second.

First of all, working in Fairfax doesn't necessarily mean living in Fairfax.

If you do decide to live in Fairfax, then expect to pay higher than average rent, but not nearly as high as you'd find in McLean or north Arlington near courthouse/clarendon.

The advantage is that you have zero commute and therefore, traffic.

If you can afford it, I would recommend living in Fairfax, especially if you are working there. There are surrounding communities, Centerville, Reston, Herndon, and Oakton, but I wouldn't necessarily rate them better than Fairfax for any reason.

Other people tend to live elsewhere and commute into Fairfax. The cheaper places to live are Warrenton, Manassas, Manassas Park, and Woodbridge. Mind you, they are cheaper for a reason.

Oh, and Fairfax taxes are annoying. For example, the county will tax your vehicle as well as the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia