Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:14 PM

7 posts, read 17,696 times

Advertisements

I found out I will be working West of the Dulles Airport and would like some advise on good school districts and nice areas to raise a family. We have 3 children, 9th grade and younger, and we do not want them in a huge school where they will feel lost. My husband and I have looked into the Leesburg area and are also checking into Purcelville. We have decided Ashburn is nice but a little more congested than we would like. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the better schools are in Loudon County? We would like an area where our children would feel safe walking to a friends home in the neighborhood, etc. We also like a home town feel. We currently live in a town with sidewalks where we enjoy walking around with our dogs. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:51 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Pretty much all of the schools in Loudoun County are good. There's some minor differences in test scores here and there, which can be found on the website for Loudoun County Public Schools, but as a whole, the school system is pretty solid with few weak spots, particularly at the high school level.

As far as a hometown feel, unfortunately that's hard to come by in Northern Virginia, at least in regards to what I think of as a hometown feel in the sense that the area is fairly transient (people not forming strong attachments) and newly-developed (strip malls and subdivisions as opposed to traditional downtowns) and geared towards the automobile (few people out walking; residential areas isolated from retail and other areas, and requires a car trip). However, within individual communities, even the planned subdivisions, you can forge your own community. That all depends on the neighbors that you live around really. You could very well live on a very tightly-knit cul-de-sac where neighbors trade recipes and kids play with one another at all hours of the day. It's tough to predict.

Safety-wise, it shouldn't be a problem to walk the dog late at night, or have your kids out late walking to a friend's home. Loudoun County is incredibly safe. There's some iffier parts of Sterling, and a few random apartment complexes in Leesburg that aren't so hot, but even what crime exists in these places in largely petty. Of course, it's still best to use basic street smarts while living here in keeping your doors locked, perhaps avoiding night visits to the ATM, and just being mindful of your surroundings, especially at night.

The size of the schools in the area may be an unavoidable issue. Many Loudoun County schools are already overcrowded and considering the fact that the county is the second fastest-growing county in the nation, it's going to be very difficult for the county to keep up with the breakneck growth and build enough schools to support the population. As such, even schools that have smaller enrollments today, probably will be increasing dramatically in just a few years. At Loudoun Valley High in Purcellville, there are over 2000 students, compared to 1300 at Loudoun County and 1600 at Heritage, both in Leesburg.

I would actually recommend expanding your search to include South Riding. I don't generally recommend it because I find it to be in an inconvenient location for commuting purposes, but if you're commuting to the west of Dulles, then it might be an ideal location for you. There's lots of families in this area. The community was designed to be more walkable and "homey" than your average sprawl-burb in Northern Virginia. There's sidewalks, homes are closer together, and there's a sort of "village green" (albeit surrounded by a strip mall). The local high school, Freedom High also has just under 1000 students, which is unheard of in this area, although like I said, you can count on that to increase greatly in the coming years.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:33 AM

689 posts, read 1,615,122 times
I agree w/dullnboring, South Riding would be a good option, given what you've described. My husband are hoping to move there this year, largely b/c of the homey, family feel. Leesburg has grown so fast that if Ashburn is too congested for you, you would probably be disappointed in Leesburg, too. Purcellville is more rural, but is changing fairly quickly. Coming into town on Rt. 7 can be a really bad drive, though. Even though you're working by Dulles, I'd still keep the northern VA adage of "live close to where you work" in mind. As far as smaller schools, you really won't get that in this area unless you go private. It's just growing too fast.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Leesburg more congested than south riding?? South Riding and Ashburn are like twin communities IMO!

We moved here (leesburg) from PA and I was amazed to find the neighborhoods (although wayyyy to close together) incredible active. My 3 kids are always out riding the bikes, walking the dog etc... most neighborhoods here have biking trials and walking paths etc...

The overcrowding at the Local HS' is a problem and who know when they will get the new one built.

Luckettes is a fast growing area with newer homes on larger lots (loads of people fleeing leesburg to luckettes) It has a nice "country feel" but you have to come in rt15 for EVERYTHING and traffic is getting really bad from battlefield out past lucketts. Purcelville is a great little town. Hamilton is very nice as well olderhomes on bigger lots. The new HS will ease the overcrowding of LoudounValley...someday.

As far as crime goes it's everywhere... here mostly cars are broken into (in parking lots) and a few robberies more stores than houses. petty crime. Honestly the only violent crime I've heard of out here is spousal!! We really steered clear of Sterling (for living)... good shopping but crime is on a rise.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM

If you're responding to my post, I didn't say Leesburg was more congested than South Riding. I said Leesburg was as congested as Ashburn, imo. Which it sounds like you agree with! If travelingmom wants to avoid congestion, Leesburg is not the answer. But neither is most of northern VA. Even the small towns like Hamilton and Lucketts require using 15 and 7, which are really over-traveled. There are just too many people in the area.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 17,696 times
Thanks for all your replies. I have not heard of Lucketts - will check into this and Hamilton as well. Does anyone know approx. how long it would take to travel from Fredericksburg to West of Dulles? I didn't know if there would be any back roads or whether this would be a viable option.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
I wouldn't recemmend that commute. Without traffic that is about an hour and 15 minutes easily. You may want to look at Arcola, Aldie or Brambleton. They are in the area west of Dulles.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:28 AM

David is very right -- you'd go crazy in a very short period of time. With rush hour traffic, it's at least 2 hours each way, and you do not want to drive I-95 or the beltway if you don't have to. Lucketts is basically a no stoplight town, you should know that before you get too far. If you actually want a town proper, look at Purcellville, Lovettsville or Hamilton. That being said, keep in mind that you're just adding more miles to your commute, and if you have to be to work at 8:30 or 9, you'll be driving with thousands of other people each day. I'm not sure where you're from, but when you get here to check things out, be sure to listen to WTOP (several different frequencies) for traffic -- the fact that this area gives traffic updates all day long and all weekend long should be a strong indicator of what an issue congestion is!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:29 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Fredericksburg would be a hell of a commute!! A beautiful town but alot of driving and no direct way to Dullas. Go and visit for a weekend instead.

I'll say again that Leesburg gives you a town a real old historic downtown. Yes there is traffic at commute times and getting through old town can be a hassel, but easy to avoid. It's safe and has great schools, I have 3 girls and I have been so pleased with the school system. Yes it's safe...very safe.
We choose it over Ashburn because it is a REAL town not a planned community like Ashburn & South Riding.

I'll give you some other ideas: Middleburg may have what you want, but it's expensive. Catharpin (don't know about the schools) Philomount and Bluemount.
Arcola is going to be a mess when the Bldg project starts there. (I went to Arcola elem and used to ride horses to Pangles store!! how times change!)

I will say that the majority of the schools here are great Loudoun Co has taken notes from Fairfax Co and seems to be trying to improve on that. Housing right now has slowed tremendously so that is good for you as the market isn't as crazy as it was 2 years ago.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:42 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
One thing is for sure no matter where you live. You must find and know alternate routes for every trip you take. If not, you'll be doomed to follow the rest of the sheep that take 7, 66 and the toll road everywhere they go and then do nothing but complain about traffic. Traffic is very bad in some places around here, but is almost always avoidable if you know a few different ways to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia