Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:02 PM

354 posts, read 855,072 times

Advertisements

I used to work for a defense contractor called**** and my job was the biggest waste of tax payers dollars you can imagine! Their was about 20 people in our office and maybe me and three other people actually had work to do. In fact their were two people that had practically no reason to be there. They literally had no function at all just a title. I am not bragging when I say that myself and a few others are the only ones that did any work. The "work" I did was so easy and pointless anyone could have done (but no one had to do it really) and I was supposed to be an "engineer". My coworkers would have to do work from time to time and they would get so angry and stressed out it was unreal! They literally couldn't handle even simple tasks because they were so used to surfing the web and chatting for forty hours a week! I quit after about a year and a half just because it was so mind numbingly boring it was affecting my sanity!

It was honestly like just a welfare program that existed only to create jobs. Hardly any of my coworkers had any background on what we doing. Example: One woman was the head of software safety but her background was that she had an Economics degree and worked in a book store LOL! I have found very few of my coworkers in the business world to be "worthless" but in the contracting world that was the standard.

The saddest part was when I was leaving they were still hiring! More of our tax dollars down the drain…….

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-06-2009 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: edited per member request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:53 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,326,599 times
There is A LOT of waste in Defense, but there's also a lot of waste everywhere. There are also many people/things/projects that are questionable too. The truth is DoD pumps a lot of money into the economy: $651.2 billion worth of money, and many millions into the local economies of the Washington Metro area. IMO rather have the waste, than have nothing at all.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:03 PM

33 posts, read 111,008 times
No... it sounds like you worked at a backwards ass facility with no government oversight. FYI, it is a felony offense to charge government labor hours improperly, i.e. "surfing the web and chatting for forty hours a week".

Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borge View Post
No... it sounds like you worked at a backwards ass facility with no government oversight. FYI, it is a felony offense to charge government labor hours improperly, i.e. "surfing the web and chatting for forty hours a week".
Trust me when I say that improperly charging goverment hours was only one of many felonies occuring there.

You might be right about it only being my facility because that was the only contactor I ever worked for and it is hard to imagine all or even most places being that bad! Also we shared an office with SAIC employees that workrf on another contract and they appeared normal.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I used to work for a defense contractor called ***** and my job was the biggest waste of tax payers dollars you can imagine! Their was about 20 people in our office and maybe me and three other people actually had work to do. In fact their were two people that had practically no reason to be there. They literally had no function at all just a title. I am not bragging when I say that myself and a few others are the only ones that did any work. The "work" I did was so easy and pointless anyone could have done (but no one had to do it really) and I was supposed to be an "engineer". My coworkers would have to do work from time to time and they would get so angry and stressed out it was unreal! They literally couldn't handle even simple tasks because they were so used to surfing the web and chatting for forty hours a week! I quit after about a year and a half just because it was so mind numbingly boring it was affecting my sanity!

It was honestly like just a welfare program that existed only to create jobs. Hardly any of my coworkers had any background on what we doing. Example: One woman was the head of software safety but her background was that she had an Economics degree and worked in a book store LOL! I have found very few of my coworkers in the business world to be "worthless" but in the contracting world that was the standard.

The saddest part was when I was leaving they were still hiring! More of our tax dollars down the drain…….
If you think contractors are bad, the actual government workers are even worse.

Whatever the case, there have been no terrorist attacks on American soil since 9/11, so something, somewhere, must be working.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-06-2009 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: quote edited per member request

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,326,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post

Whatever the case, there have been no terrorist attacks on American soil since 9/11, so something, somewhere, must be working.
You've been watching too much Fox news

Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
If you think contractors are bad, the actual government workers are even worse.

I don't understand what does 9/11 have to do with defense contractors being a waste of money? The Department of Homeland Security is mostly responsible for preventing terrorist attacks not the Department of defense.

Please explain you answer

Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,039 times
Sounds like ***** let you go. My guess, they found posts like this one, and decided that you were a bitter employee and a security risk.

(I must fess up, I heard the story already from someone at *****, and no, I am not outing the OP. He's done that on his own.)

One of the hardest working people I've ever known was a VP at ***** and another was a programmer who put in amazingly long hours. Both of them did important work to keep us safe and our soldiers and sailors safe.

But if you have a problem with *****, report it to your Congressman, the ****** rainmaker and ******Vice President, Gerry Connelly. If not for him, ******would not have the 4 towers at Tysons and all those Defense contracts. Nor would he have the big VP office on the 14th floor, and the salary that went with it. He wouldn't be where he was today without ****** support and vice versa. They've been scratching each other's backs for years.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-06-2009 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: edited for privacy per original poster's request

Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
You've been watching too much Fox news
Really?

Where was the last bombing on American soil since 9/11? Pray tell.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I don't understand what does 9/11 have to do with defense contractors being a waste of money? The Department of Homeland Security is mostly responsible for preventing terrorist attacks not the Department of defense.

Please explain you answer
Hahahahahaha.................Homeland Security! What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia