Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 12:23 PM

354 posts, read 855,575 times

Advertisements

I left NoVa in 2007 and Defense Contractors were building new office building and hiring like crazy. Has this changed since Obama promised to reform the industry? Are defense contractors starting to be laid off or is it business as usual? What do you see happening now and/or in the next year or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 12:42 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Most DoD contractors I'm aware of are still hiring (albeit apparently more slowly than in years past). SAIC in particular is going to be booming soon. They have relocated their corporate headquarters to McLean from San Diego and plan to go on a hiring spree.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 PM

Do you think most of them are hiring to replace workers that quit or do you think that the industry is actually expanding? I know that the turnover rate for most contractors is horrible.

Do you think they are replacing all the people that quit? I was thinking that not replacing everyone that quits would be a good way for a lot of them to avoid layoffs.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:57 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Do you think most of them are hiring to replace workers that quit or do you think that the industry is actually expanding? I know that the turnover rate for most contractors is horrible.

Do you think they are replacing all the people that quit? I was thinking that not replacing everyone that quits would be a good way for a lot of them to avoid layoffs.
I think working to improve rentention would be a better overall strategy for contractors to reduce the costs of training new individuals, assisting them in obtaining necessary security clearances, recruiting, etc., and then those cost savings could result in reduced layoffs. My Federal agency has high turnover in this region. Their solution? Throw money at the problem by offering a sign-on bonus. If you have a habitually higher-than-average turnover rate then perhaps the problem is systemic, and an employer should try to find out just what, exactly, is making so many leave.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I think working to improve rentention would be a better overall strategy for contractors to reduce the costs of training new individuals, assisting them in obtaining necessary security clearances, recruiting, etc., and then those cost savings could result in reduced layoffs. My Federal agency has high turnover in this region. Their solution? Throw money at the problem by offering a sign-on bonus. If you have a habitually higher-than-average turnover rate then perhaps the problem is systemic, and an employer should try to find out just what, exactly, is making so many leave.
Improving turnover rates definetly would benefit any company. I work in HR and it is very very expensive to hire someone and the more skiled they are the more expensive it is.

What I was trying to say in my post is that a lot of Defense Contractors may not have to implament layoff just because so many people leave anyway. If 100 people leave an office every year then they may only hire 90 people to replace them. If the industry shrinks they would have less people to find contracts for avoiding a layoff.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
If Obama is doing anything about it, I'm not seeing it. Perhaps this involves future weapons systems. Existing business is humming along just fine.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:11 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Do you think most of them are hiring to replace workers that quit or do you think that the industry is actually expanding?
I don't know for sure, but with the economy the way it is, I don't think as many people are quitting jobs these days. (I know a lot of people who want to quit their jobs, but that's a different thing...)

Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 AM

66 posts, read 199,676 times
Unless you are working on a program directly supporting a government customer, most defense contracting is project based. If someone quits, most employers will try to fill the position. First because they need to finish the project on time, and second because it is a billable position (if cost-plus contract). I have seen very few engineers laid off. The ones that are have found positions relatively easy. There are fewer people moving around, but still the qualified people have found jobs.

Don't really know if defense contracting is actually shrinking, however it seems as though intel contracting has increased.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 AM

738 posts, read 2,957,684 times
My company has not done any layoffs during the economic turmoil, their cut-back was to suspend their 401k contribution match due to the stock values going down. Everything else is business as usual, and sales are increasing at higher rates than usual actually.

We also have a 99% employee retention rate, which is unheard of in this industry. I think maybe 2 people have left our office in the 2 years I've been here.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Last year we were very worried that my husband might be laidoff. But now he's been put on a new project and things are looking very definite. Last winter I was spending a lot of time on the Frugal Living forum, trying to figure out how to save as much money as possible just in case my husband got laid off and was out of work for a long time. Not that we were struggling, we had plenty of savings, but the country seemed about to go into a depression and we didn't know what to expect.

This winter things have really changed. Myhusband's job is much more secure. In fact, we've decided to buy a house in Cascades. We're selling the house we have now to my son, who's getting married. As much as we've loved our starter home and our neighborhood, it's exciting to be moving up (and a smart time to buy). A large factor in this decision is the realization that the defense industry is going to stay strong for at least another 3-4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia