Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times

Advertisements

In college my roommate would get hers when going out to Shenandoah. She got a jug of "regular" unpasteurized cider and then one of hard cider that they fermented. She promised us that if it exploded she'd clean up the mess (it didn't, but the top blew off all the time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Another place I'm going to check out - Potomac Vegetable Farms in Vienna (with a bigger "production farm" in Purcellville) - someone on donrockwell.com said they used to sell the unpasteurized stuff:

Potomac Vegetable Farms

Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Yeah, I know we're still in the middle of summer, but I want to make sure I ask this before another fall season passes us by (plus, I hate hot weather and am already dreaming of jumping in piles of leaves on smoky-scented NoVA afternoons) -

Where is the best place to get unpasteurized apple cider around here? (Preferably near Alexandria, but if, say, there's a place with famous unpasteurized cider out in western Fairfax Co. or such, I'd love to hear about it, too.)

(And if you tell me it's dangerous to drink, I will just laugh and not reply to your post. )
I just drove past a farm in Purcellville that had it. It's a pyo farm on Colonial Hwy. If you come off rt 7 onto rt 287, turn left toward Purcellville. Right at the light on Colonial Hwy and it's almost immediately on your left. Just found the website: Crooked Run Orchard They had a sign out yesterday that advertised unpasteurized apple cider.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Another place I'm going to check out - Potomac Vegetable Farms in Vienna (with a bigger "production farm" in Purcellville) - someone on donrockwell.com said they used to sell the unpasteurized stuff:

Potomac Vegetable Farms
I was at their stand in Purcellville on Sunday. I didn't see any cider but I wasn't looking for it either. I'll ask them when I'm there later this week.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I just drove past a farm in Purcellville that had it. It's a pyo farm on Colonial Hwy. If you come off rt 7 onto rt 287, turn left toward Purcellville. Right at the light on Colonial Hwy and it's almost immediately on your left. Just found the website: Crooked Run Orchard They had a sign out yesterday that advertised unpasteurized apple cider.
Woo hoo! My Saturday's planned, then.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 PM

Glad I could help! Head down the other way on RT 287 and stop at Sunset Hills Vineyard for a glass of wine. It's a beautiful place, well worth seeing. Beautiful views too. If the owners are around, Mike and Diane, they'll give you a tour and explain everything they did to renovate the place.
http://www.sunsethillsvineyard.com/

It's on route 287, between route 7 and route 9. Turn at the balloons!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 AM

518 posts, read 1,451,036 times
Hill High Orchard in Round Hill, VA. I used to go here each fall, growing up. I just looked it up and it still exists! I was afraid Round Hill had since been swallowed by subdivisions.
You can still go apple picking there; great pies; cider; apple candy. (peanut soup also... I think.) Go here. you won't regret it.

And in the spring, many local farms have strawberry picking, but I don't remember that being all that fun.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Sunset Hills Vineyard and Hill High Orchard both sound incredible - this is shaping up to be the nicest NoVA fall I've had yet (if I can get roomie to drive west on some three-day weekends)! *Happy dance*!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia