Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 29,204 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from the West Coast to the McLean/Tyson Corners area for work and trying to figure out the best place to live. Originally I was looking solely in the McLean area but now have been thinking more and more about living in Arlington/Ballston Corridor area to be closer to DC so I can get there easily on the weekends.

I have friends who live in DC and don't want to be cut off from that area by living farther away in the suburbs. I'm in my 20s and also would like to live in an area where there are younger professional singles as I've heard the median age in McLean is in the 40s and it is mostly families.

My main worry is the commute. If I lived in McLean, my daily commute to work wouldn't be a problem. 10 minutes at worst, I imagine but if I were to live farther away, I know that would greatly increase my commute time. I'd like my commute to be no more than 20, 25 minutes each way. I was living in LA which has the worst traffic in America so I've discovered what my limits are and 20, 25 minutes is it.

So I'd like to hear what people think preferably from personal experience. Does anyone do a commute from Arlington or Ballston to Tysons? If so, what do you think? Also, if you live in McLean, how often do you go out to DC and what is the commute out there like if going on the weekends or late nights on weeknights?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:31 AM

323 posts, read 508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohogrand View Post
So I'd like to hear what people think preferably from personal experience. Does anyone do a commute from Arlington or Ballston to Tysons? If so, what do you think? Also, if you live in McLean, how often do you go out to DC and what is the commute out there like if going on the weekends or late nights on weeknights?
I do the Ballston -> Tysons commute. With no traffic (i.e. holidays, leaving before 7, etc.) I can get to work in 12 minutes. On average, leaving around 7:30 or 8:00 it takes 20-25 minutes. You'll need to learn the backroads to avoid the parking lot on 66 in the evenings, but all in all it's a very easy commute. Living in Arlington will also save you lots of time outside of work since nearly everything is a very short drive or walk away.

You'll need to also consider what lifestyle you want to live - Arlington is a much more urban, busy place. It has its own nightlife and I find a lot of people prefer to go to the bars and restaurants in Arlington rather than metro to DC. McLean outside of business hours is very sedate.

For ease of access to nearly all of the NoVA area, Arlington can't be beat.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:44 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Given the requirements, I'd concur with <guyincognito> across the board, and would suspect many others would/will also...

Old 05-31-2009, 11:52 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Quote:
... I have friends who live in DC and don't want to be cut off from that area by living farther away in the suburbs. I'm in my 20s and also would like to live in an area where there are younger professional singles as I've heard the median age in McLean is in the 40s and it is mostly families...
I don't live in McLean, but I believe your impression of that area is correct. Also, you pretty much have to go by car to get anywhere, and the traffic is very congested. You would have to drive to DC and then find a place to park, not always that easy. Ballston/Clarendon, is indeed popular with a 20's population and has its own nightlife and activities. Plus it has METRO subway stops close together, where one can easily catch a train and pop into and out of DC. No parking hassles, and you can arrive at one station and return from another.

Quote:
... So I'd like to hear what people think preferably from personal experience. Does anyone do a commute from Arlington or Ballston to Tysons?
I frequently travel from my home in Ballston to Tysons or nearby Vienna in the morning and take a route that is surprisingly uncongested (probably jinx it by writing about it here ) and that is Glebe Rd to Old Dominion Dr through McLean to Rt123 and Tysons. Old Dominion is two lane, rolls along well and is not too stressful. I don't know about the notorious I-66 which even when not congested can be kinda nerve wracking. There is also the Metrobus Rt 23 which runs from the Ballston METRO station to Tysons. It also takes the Old Dominion route, is frequent and quick. I have taken it from Ballston to Tysons and it's about 20 minutes.

Metrobus 23 A,C Mclean-Crystal City (http://www.commuterpage.com/art/metrobus/23.htm - broken link)

Hope this is helpful and this is a very helpful forum here too. You'll be getting some good advice from others

Old 05-31-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks for your responses. I think my biggest problem is that I can't test out the traffic for myself and I find the reports of Tysons traffic to be WILDLY uneven. I've heard the commute from Ballston Corridor is 20-30 minutes tops from a few ppl but then I'll read other reports where "you could live down the street from Tysons and it takes 30 minutes to get home" so I don't really know what to think. I've seen some great places in McLean but will now start looking at more places in Arlington/Ballston more seriously.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I frequently travel from my home in Ballston to Tysons or nearby Vienna in the morning and take a route that is surprisingly uncongested (probably jinx it by writing about it here ) and that is Glebe Rd to Old Dominion Dr through McLean to Rt123 and Tysons. Old Dominion is two lane, rolls along well and is not too stressful. I don't know about the notorious I-66 which even when not congested can be kinda nerve wracking. There is also the Metrobus Rt 23 which runs from the Ballston METRO station to Tysons. It also takes the Old Dominion route, is frequent and quick. I have taken it from Ballston to Tysons and it's about 20 minutes.

Metrobus 23 A,C Mclean-Crystal City (http://www.commuterpage.com/art/metrobus/23.htm - broken link)

Hope this is helpful and this is a very helpful forum here too. You'll be getting some good advice from others
Thanks for the specifics, quiet walker, I'm going to copy and paste this and try it out when I get there next week!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
A lot will depend upon exactly where in Tyson's you will be working. It's a large area, and some office complexes are better located for quick entry and exit, using back roads, than others. The closer you are to Arlington (and the further from the retail area), the easier it will be to get to and from Ballston.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
A lot will depend upon exactly where in Tyson's you will be working. It's a large area, and some office complexes are better located for quick entry and exit, using back roads, than others. The closer you are to Arlington (and the further from the retail area), the easier it will be to get to and from Ballston.
I'll be across the street from the Galleria on Greensboro off International Dr.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
From what I can tell in my brief time here Route 7 (Leesburg Pike) and Chain Bridge Road are the two most congested arteries in Tyson's Corner. I took Route 7 West home the other day after my Alexandria Photo Tour and got snagged in a traffic jam due to an accident in the EASTBOUND lanes! It took me 30 minutes to get from one end of the district to the other, whereas it normally takes like 5 minutes on off-peak hours. Avoid these two roads, and you should cut out most of your commuting stress. I, too, would recommend Ballston to you. Arlington is such a nice walkable community.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:36 PM

715 posts, read 2,085,945 times
Quote:
I was living in LA which has the worst traffic in America so I've discovered what my limits are and 20, 25 minutes is it.
If you think LA is bad, this area can be worse. Ignore the stats...this is your reality.

LA is also lucky that they don't need to deal with the 4 seasons as we do. Snow, ice, torrential downpours, fog, tornadoes, etc. You name it, we got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia