Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:12 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musincy View Post
I second Falls Church... just make sure it's in the city proper (zip code 22046). Good schools, safe, very family-oriented. Lots of stores and restaurants to walk to, Tysons is close enough for more shopping, and the metro will get you into DC quickly. Good luck in your search.
There are plenty of very nice neighborhoods in Falls Church (in the county) outside Falls Church City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There are plenty of very nice neighborhoods in Falls Church (in the county) outside Falls Church City.
True, but the schools are not as good as those in the City of Falls Church.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
True, but the schools are not as good as those in the City of Falls Church.

Even if you're making that statement based on test scores, that's probably still an overgeneralization. For example, Haycock Elementary and Longfellow Middle are both in Falls Church (in the county) and very good. And, while SAT scores at Mason are about 35 points higher than at neighboring Marshall in Falls Church (in the county), that difference is no greater than the difference between the scores at Marshall (or, for that matter, Madison) and those at well-regarded Robinson in Fairfax.

There are plenty of reasons to like Falls Church City, and the quality of the schools - assuming one is comfortable with the small size of George Mason - is one of them. However, one could live in any number of county neighborhoods with Falls Church addresses and still send one's children to very good schools.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:23 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,069 times
I'm sure all of Falls Church (for the most part) is great but my good experience was within the City of Falls Church near Route 7 and West St. Some areas along Lee Highway weren't as nice and the feel of the communities was different. Not bad, just different from the ones closer to the Metro and city proper. Check it all out and find what works best for you.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
The Sleepy Hollow neighborhood near Seven Corners (Annandale address) is really nice and pleasant.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:22 AM

184 posts, read 491,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Oh, I completely agree... I used to live in one of those areas. I didn't mean to sound like there was anything wrong with them, it just sounds like Falls Church City would be a good fit for what they're looking for. It's a good little community that you can walk in and get to know your neighbors. I never meant to bash the areas surrounding the City.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 16,139 times
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I hadn't really considered falls church, but will definitely look into it. Living in DC prior to my move now, I was sad to leave Adams Morgan that I love, but also not interested in living along the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor since it seems to primarily is made up of singles, young couples without kids, and rental properties. If anyone has suggestions for very specific neighborhoods within North Arlington, let me know too. The closer to DC, the more comfortable I will feel!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM

87 posts, read 209,520 times
Check out www.fcps.com to find all the info on public schools in Fairfax County. Choose "Locate Your School" by address, and they give you detailed profiles. Very helpful.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM

87 posts, read 209,520 times
Williamsburg Village and Country Club communities are among sought after and family friendly ones in Arlington.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Cherrydale, Lyon Park, and Lee Heights in No. Arl. seem very family friendly to me when I visit friends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia