Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 16,238 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good preschool for my daughter? She'll be 3 next year. I know it's late now since it's already September, but in case they have an openings, or even something to keep in mind for next year.

I'm looking for a half-day twice-per-week program, preferably in Alexandria/Springfield/Kingstowne/Burke -- so not a full time daycare, more of just a preschool.

I would definitely appreciate any advice -- it seems there are so many preschools and it's too confusing! We are not affiliated with any church, but I'm open to anything (as long as the teachers are good, school is clean, etc).

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 AM

428 posts, read 1,114,718 times
When we still lived in Alexandria, we'd checked out and were seriously considering these:

Prince of Peace Lutheran School (http://extra1948.net/SchoolSubsite/index.htm - broken link) (at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church on Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield)

Annandale United Methodist Church (near the intersection of Gallows and Columbia Pike in Annandale)

Our next-door neighbor was a big fan of this one:

Church of the Resurrection (Episcopal; on Beauregard Street in Alexandria between Seminary and Braddock)

Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
I highly recommend Burke Presbyterian Preschool. It's located in Burke near the intersection of Ox Rd and Burke Centre Parkway (behind the Kohls). They have a holistic approach to child development and very low staff turnover (the director and many teachers have been there for over 10 years). I know they have openings this year in the young 3's, but your child would need to turn 3 by December 31st and be potty trained.

Prince of Peace and St. Stephen's are very popular. They are worth checking out early if you plan to enroll your daughter next year.

BTW, the MOMS group in Burke holds a preschool fair in late January at the Burke Fire Station. Almost all the preschools in Springfield and Burke are represented. It's a great way to get information on the schools' requirements and meet with the directors before enrollment starts in February. Look for announcements in the public library or local papers.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:52 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
My child went to Franconia Baptist Preschool. We're not religious, but I didn't feel like they were indoctrinating. Their staff were nice and my kid had fun. They are convenient to Springfield, Alexandria, and Kingstowne, located on Franconia Rd near Van Dorn.

School, Preschool, Kindergarten, Children, Youth

Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,256 times
One thing to consider...if you plan on being in the same location when your daughter starts school AND plan to use daycare when she does is to get a school that provides transportation to the elementary school. If you don't intend to use before and/or after care when she is in school then no worries.

Just something to think about...there is enough trauma when starting KG don't need to add another change to the mix.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,232 times
Springfield Methodist and Bush Hill Presbyterian were both excellent when we used them. Springfield Methodist had a two-year-old class.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM

I've checked out all these websites -- they all look great actually. I don't know how people go about choosing a preschool!

Do you think it's better to go to a "non church affiliated" preschool, or one of the places mentioned, or does it matter? We are not any of these faiths (Asian, actually). In a church-affiliated school, are the majority of the students members of the church?

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Any advice would be great! And slduvall, thanks for the suggestion -- as of now, we don't plan on using daycare but of course that all depends on the economy at the time!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m's mom View Post
Do you think it's better to go to a "non church affiliated" preschool, or one of the places mentioned, or does it matter? We are not any of these faiths (Asian, actually). In a church-affiliated school, are the majority of the students members of the church?
That's a matter of personal preference. Many preschools are affiliated with a church; however, faith is expressed in very basic, general terms so it wouldn't matter what denomination you practice. But there are preschools not affiliated with any faith if you prefer that. And no, you don't have to be a member of the church to enroll a child in the preschool.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
My son went to The Springs Montessori on Backlick Rd. in Springfield. He left about 3 years ago when he entered first grade. We were happy with it.

The Springs-A Montessori School (http://www.springsmontessori.com/html/springs.html - broken link)

Old 09-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Two other questions actually --

one -- is it better to attend a preschool which has kindergarten there as well?
two -- i've heard the name "co-op" preschool, does anyone have any thoughts on these?

thanks again for everyone's advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia