Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 AM

320 posts, read 711,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
Why does it matter if they are Black? Is there a quota that must be met for TJ? Did I miss something? I guess I should be glad to see that I can relax because my sons will be getting preferential treatment. *rolls eyes*
Hmmmm....there is no quota but I think FCPS is embarrassed by the amount of money spent to increase the numbers of black students and failing EVERY year! I would also say that those black/hispanic kids who get into TJ would have gotten in anyways without all the added help.

And yes, it is easier for a black student with decent grades to get into a college where white/asian students with similar grades would be rejected. Once again, race plays a factor and is it fair -- no but that is how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 PM

10 posts, read 29,848 times
Default St. Paul's School in Haymarket

[quote=car54;10934915]Kindergarten is too early to be worrying about TJ....most 5 year olds, no matter how precocious, will get into TJ. A lot of very good students don't get into TJ. I wouldn't set the kid up for a major life failure at age 13.

No but getting a child off to a solid start is critical. Does anyone have any information about St. Paul's School in Haymarket, Va.?

I know about their preschool, but I am interested in communicating with parents who have sent their children to St. Paul's elementary grades.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:39 PM

10 posts, read 21,820 times
Kindergarten is not too early to be thinking about high school. Everything I read about early childhood years stresses the importance of early literacy. The earlier the better. Their exposure to literacy before kindergarten lays a foundation for the enjoyment of reading. Waiting until middle school is much too late. We are spending a lot of time looking at schools in Haymarket, where we will be moving next fall. We have a three-year old and a kindergarten student. We are narrowing our choices down to two schools for our three-year old: St. Paul's School and Haymarket Baptist.

We have studied all the options and will be touring the schools shortly. If anyone has children at these two schools, please share your experience with us. We know how important these early years are to their love for school.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times
Threads like this make me so glad we were only up here for two years. *sigh. Y'all are so lost.

I have five kids. My oldest is in college and on his way to law school. I've been doing this a long time. I have five healthy, happy kids. One of the five is highly academically gifted. She started college in the 8th grade. I never pushed her or any of the other kids like you folks do up here. No wonder so many kids in Northern Virginia are on anti-anxiety and anti-depression drugs.

People are so worried about getting their kids into the best schools that they lose sight of the really important stuff. And the kids suffer.

Go ahead and spend all your time at work. Focus your efforts on getting your kids into the best schools. Don't worry about down time. Don't worry about actually spending time with your children...you can outsource that to the highest bidder while you spend all day at work. Someone's got to pay for that house in best neighborhood...for your cars....for private school....

I fear that in a few years, society is going to see the results of this type of parenting.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
What - you mean the keys to a happy life are not (1) St. Paul's School in Haymarket and (2) an NRV home, but good chicken tenders?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I have five kids. My oldest is in college and on his way to law school. I've been doing this a long time. I have five healthy, happy kids.
Amazing how when you get a bit older and especially after the kids are grown you realize how pointless is the stuff the younger parents fret to death over. Which school you sent your kids to means little compared to other things like what you discussed with them at the dinner table or what you did with them on vacation. How many grown kids have you ever heard say how wonderful their parents were because of the schools they sent them to? Not usually at the top of the list.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM

696 posts, read 1,695,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Amazing how when you get a bit older and especially after the kids are grown you realize how pointless is the stuff the younger parents fret to death over. Which school you sent your kids to means little compared to other things like what you discussed with them at the dinner table or what you did with them on vacation. How many grown kids have you ever heard say how wonderful their parents were because of the schools they sent them to? Not usually at the top of the list.
Yes indeed!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 PM

477 posts, read 736,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Wonderful point. that reflects well on my current situation where I am going crazy about choosing an elementary school for my kids..

Old 11-06-2010, 08:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRider View Post
Wonderful point. that reflects well on my current situation where I am going crazy about choosing an elementary school for my kids..
I also find it amusing when parents worry about which pyramid their child's kindergarten is in, considering the fact that the average American moves every five years. Chances are as their income grows a family will likely be relocating by the time the child gets to the ninth grade.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
Averages are misleading. The typical family with school-age children does not move every five years, even in the relatively transient DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia