Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:53 PM

26 posts, read 126,317 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from Ventura, CA, with 6+ years experience working with at-risk and developmentally challenged infants and toddlers. I've worked as a clinic aid/school instructional aide or paraeducator/behavior therapist/speech-language therapy aide/ and early intervention.

My husband will be working a Govt job in Mclean. We know what to expect with rent, as its very comparable to living in SoCal. However, I'm growing concerned about pursuing my Master's in Speech Language Pathology because there doesn't seem to be any programs tied to any of the NOVA universities.

Will I be stuck doing a correspondence, distance-learning program?
I like UMD, but that would be out-of-state and long commute from Nova. People say that UDC isn't a reputable public university, but as far as DC goes, its the only one that offers the Grad Program with my special interests.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
U.S. News: Best Graduate Speech-Language Pathology Programs (2008) : The Consus Group Rankings

Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 AM

Yes, thanks Claremarie, I've already looked into that but I was hoping for more of a local perspective from other SLPS working in the school systems or private clinics. I'm looking to find out why SLPS chose their grad programs and to see how it helped them gain employment in local schools. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:25 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
From the list linked above: 30. Gallaudet University. That's in DC. It's not limited to the deaf, especially for a program like that. A friend of mine is an audiologist and went to gallaudet.

That said, if you have such a specialized program, make the sacrifices and go where you need to go, do what you have to. If I recall, you don't have kids yet, so if you need to be gone all day, which grad school does to you, you can. Heck, i spent three nights a week in falls church while my husband is up north of Baltimore. Also, with such limited options, I would bet there will be other students from nova for team projects and carpools.

That all said, if I were you two, I'd seriously contemplate a second car. Without a purple line, it's so hard to use metro to go around dc as you have to go into downtown and back out

Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
donita,
Your question is probably too specific for this forum. See if you can find an online forum devoted to this particular specialty (I know there are a number of such sites for grad programs in economics and law). Based on the list, it looks like UMd is by far the best bet for a local bricks and mortar program, though the Galludet program would probably have some unique aspects worth considering, as it is the premier school for the hearing-impaired in the country.
And I agree about the second car.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Thanks, you two! I have already been trying to get this info through the ASHA forum (American Speech Hearing Association) but haven't learned anything too specific yet. Out here in SoCal, I earned my BA in Communication Disorders & Sciences at Cal State Northridge. It isn't in the top rank among California universities for most degrees, however its CDS and SLP program is considered THE best for future SLPs in Los Angeles and surrounding counties. There is quite a demand out here.

I was hoping to hear more about the demand in Nova and DC, and maybe I will learn yet from the other forum I'm exploring for SLP career opportunites.

Yes, we'll probably get a second car. We were just hoping to get by without one.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
"However, I'm growing concerned about pursuing my Master's in Speech Language Pathology because there doesn't seem to be any programs tied to any of the NOVA universities."

George Mason is the only university with it primary campus in Northern Virginia. All the others have satellite campuses that offer masters programs in business and IT related subjects.

Is the location of the teaching hospital a consideration in your choice of schools? ... Because the hospitals affiliated with University of Maryland and Johns Hopkins are both in Baltimore. Galludet and GW are both located in DC and accessible by subway. College Park is on the Metro Green line but you need to take the shuttle bus to the campus.

GWU Hospital lists Speech Therapists as a Critical Need job. Master's degree is required.

https://uhs.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/...gi?jobid=15643

Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Ichoro, thanks - I've looked into George Mason and they don't offer SLP programs, and you're right about the satellite campuses that offer everything but my degree.

The location in nova is necessary because of my husband's job in Mclean area. The dilema is our financial constraints, he's taking a pay cut for this govt. position and in 1-2 years we're starting a family (I'm 33). We can pay rent between $1100 - $1500.

It would be ideal if:
1) it was reasonable living space and commute for us both
2) if the Grad school wasn't an expensive private university, because what matters in my field is whether or not one can pass the comprehensive exam for certification not so much which university you got your degree.
- hospitals aren't a consideration, because I'll be specializing as a school-based SLP (one who assesses and treats school age children with articulation/phonological disorders, stuttering, learning disabilities, cognitive communication disorders, cultural linguistic disorders)

I have always thought I'd end up at UMD, but since learning about how expensive it is and taxes, I'm starting to hesitate. Wouldn't it be too difficult for my husband to commute from MD to Mclean anyway?
I can't afford Howard, and GWU sounds great...but expensive,too. I hesitate about the expensive ones, because I'm also learning about how financial aid and scholarships are hard to come by in this economy.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
If I were you I'd move to Rockville/Bethesda and have your husband commute to McLean each day. It would not be a horrible commute - about 45 minutes or so. Then you can get in-state tuition at UMD after establishing residency. Your commute to College Park would be about 35 minutes or so (less during non-rush hour times). Many people commute over the river (from MD to VA or VA to MD), so it's not that big of a deal. Not the best commute, but not the worst either.

One problem is that Bethesda is very expensive. Rockville is farther north so it would be farther for both of you. If I were you, I'd concentrate on looking in the area around Grosvenor Metro/Democracy Boulevard/Tuckerman Lane. Parts of the area are considered Bethesda (20817) and parts are Rockville or what some residents like to call North Bethesda (20852). That whole area is near the beltway and would be pretty easy access to both of you. Rents are kind of high but there are many condos so you may be able to find something in your range. If you're willing to put up with an older development, there's a place called Parkside right at Grosvenor Metro. It is a huge garden style complex. But since they are old, they are often cheaper than newer developments. I think it's all condo. There's also a big high-rise development by Grosvenor plus a low-rise one there. Might be called Grosvenor something? I know at least some are condos. Some might be apartments. Also there are a bunch of developments on Tuckerman Lane. One is the Gables - also condos. I haven't lived in that area for 10 years so I can't be sure of the rents, but it is a very nice area and pretty convenient. Hope this helps some.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:31 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If I were you I'd move to Rockville/Bethesda and have your husband commute to McLean each day.
I was just going to suggest that as well. 45 minutes might seem like a lot, but that's fairly standard for many commutes in the area. You could even easily find a place in Virginia where it'll take him longer than that to get to work in McLean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia