Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Whom Do You Intend to Vote for Next Governor of VA?
Creigh Deeds (Democrat) 38 46.91%
Bob McDonnell (Republican) 43 53.09%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times

Advertisements

I don't start political discussions, but respond to them if someone else does. So I'll leave it up to consensus on whether they're a good or bad addition to the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
McDonnell all the way!

I've always wanted to own liquor stores. To insure choice locations, I have made the maximum campaign donation allowed by law in the names of every member of my extended family! So, I have Annandale sewn up....but if y'all want a store, you better get those checkbooks out!

And I'm sick of hearing about "the thesis"....he was just a kid of 34 when he wrote that. Sheesh, I'd hate to have every stupid thing I said and did in my youth held against me!
Here's what I say about the thesis. On one hand at age 34 he was not a "kid". He was a grown man with his own mind. On the other hand this was a thesis that he was turning in for a grade. There have been plenty of papers that I've turned in that were written to please a particular professor versus being heartfelt.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
I'm voting for Deeds, even if I think he's a terrible candidate. Why?

Because I don't think having a trio of extreme social conservatives who think that we should all abide by their Catholic beliefs is fair to those of us who aren't extremely conservative Catholics.

Because setting up toll plazas at state borders, while revenue-generating, causes additional traffic problems and/or is easily avoided (see Delaware for the former).

Because the state GOP has been bound and determined for decades to bite the hand (NoVA) that feeds the entire state because we are "fake" Virginians.

Because I have this weird notion that government services require taxpayer dollars. Virginia doesn't even provide that many services, and we have a budget shortfall, so we have to raise taxes.

Like Terrence81 said, the state GOP basically hates me. I'm agnostic, gay, from Northern Virginia, pro-immigration and multiculturalism, etc. Even if McDonnell has better fiscal policies, and he very well might, I'm not going to forget the xenophobic/homophobic/hyper-religious Republican Party that I've grown up with.

And Cuccinelli? That man makes McDonnell look like an ACLU member on social issues. And he's legitimately a Northern Virginian, which is even scarier.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I'm voting for Deeds, even if I think he's a terrible candidate. Why?

Because I don't think having a trio of extreme social conservatives who think that we should all abide by their Catholic beliefs is fair to those of us who aren't extremely conservative Catholics.

These bible thumpers aren't Catholics....in fact, they despise Catholics.

Kaine however, is a Catholic, I believe.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
These bible thumpers aren't Catholics....in fact, they despise Catholics.

Kaine however, is a Catholic, I believe.
McDonnell and Cuccinelli are both Catholic, and extremely conservative socially. Kaine is also a Catholic, you're correct, but he's a Catholic cut from very different cloth.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Without choosing sides, I was wondering if someone could explain the benefit of selling the liquor stores? Not trying to start something, I'm just curious. It sounds like we get some money in the short run, but we lose something that consistently produces revenue. Or am I missing something?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Without choosing sides, I was wondering if someone could explain the benefit of selling the liquor stores? Not trying to start something, I'm just curious. It sounds like we get some money in the short run, but we lose something that consistently produces revenue. Or am I missing something?
That's my understanding of it. It makes up for our current deficit but will hurt us in the long run. I think the counterargument is that maybe Virginia will impose regulations/taxes on these new private businesses in order to keep generating revenue, but that doesn't sound like a very Republican idea.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
That's my understanding of it. It makes up for our current deficit but will hurt us in the long run. I think the counterargument is that maybe Virginia will impose regulations/taxes on these new private businesses in order to keep generating revenue, but that doesn't sound like a very Republican idea.
Thanks! Also, do they have a buyer lined up (and... is it one of McDonnell's friends?) If they hold a public auction for them, I might be for the idea. I have a few dollars to invest and I wouldn't mind owning one of those stores.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Selling the stores would bring in a half billion dollars which would be dedicated to transportation spending, as would the continuing stream of money from the sales tax on liquor and the sale of licenses, I believe. It would also get the state out of the business of running liquor stores, which currently happens in only a minority of states anymore.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Thanks! Also, do they have a buyer lined up (and... is it one of McDonnell's friends?) If they hold a public auction for them, I might be for the idea. I have a few dollars to invest and I wouldn't mind owning one of those stores.
Limbaugh?? LMAO - since he can't get the Rams.

Back to the topic - I want to vote for Deeds, I just wish he would come across with a clearer plan. I think we all need to realize that in order for anything to be done, taxes will need to be raised - I dislike the lying that candidates do about that issue and the voters that aren't realistic and just hear "higher taxes" and get outraged.

As for both of them: STOP the negative ads and just run ads telling us what you are about, what you believe in and what you want to accomplish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia