Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

Need lawyer recommendation for civil matter in NOVA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:20 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
It would help if you could be more specific. "Civil matter" covers such a wide scope that it's hard to give an informed recommendation. For example: personal injury lawsuit, medical malpractice, estate administration, employment dispute, lease or contract review/negotiation, divorce/custody matter, real estate matters, neighbor dispute, business-to-business problem?

Don't want to pry into details, but just helping you narrow the field so you get useful replies.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
It would help if you could be more specific. "Civil matter" covers such a wide scope that it's hard to give an informed recommendation. For example: personal injury lawsuit, medical malpractice, estate administration, employment dispute, lease or contract review/negotiation, divorce/custody matter, real estate matters, neighbor dispute, business-to-business problem?

Don't want to pry into details, but just helping you narrow the field so you get useful replies.
I was invited to stay at my nephew's house while I was going through a divorce, when I moved out he refused to let me take my personal belongings, it seems he developed a taste for my stereo equiptment and wide screen TVs, ,along with many other items worth over $10k
I'm living on a small pension right now can't even really afford a black&white tv and portable radio, mean while my nephew is making over $100k working for government
He said I was not allowed back in his house without written permission and that now my belongings are considered abandoned by Virginia.
Spoke to Loudon County sheriff's department they said I needed to get a lawyer and file papers
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family.
I have been going through alot with the divorce and everything, I really did not need this added stress

Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,383,369 times
Wow, your nephew sounds like a real @sshole! You will need to fill out a warrant in detinue which is a civil claim for personal property. Go to this website The Official Website for the Supreme Court of Virginia you can fill out the warrant online and print it. The website also has instructions. You may want to consider representing yourself if money is a problem. But I would recommend an attorney if you can afford it because it sounds like your nephew can definitely afford one.

I don't practice in NOVA (yet) so I don't know an attorney to recommend. Whether your property is abandoned or not is up to the fact finder (judge or jury) to determine. Given the circumstances you just described I would say your property was NOT abandoned. Now if your nephew found your electronics in a pile next to a dumpster, he could win an abandonment argument. But under the facts you just described your nephew is full of crap!!

You may want to consider approaching the police or sheriff's dept. (not sure which one runs law enforcement up there) and ask them to take out criminal charges for theft. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia