Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 PM

172 posts, read 563,895 times

Advertisements

So where's the best place to find a nice Christmas tree? And when's the best time to purchase one so that it won't be completely dried up by the time Christmas rolls around? Our "fake" tree is in the garage behind a million moving boxes & we don't feel like rummaging thru to find it, so we're going w/a "real" tree this year. I'm kinda nervous b/c I know they can catch fire easily, so I want to get it at the right time & keep it hydrated. Are there some fun tree farms to visit, or should we just go the local tree lots & get one? This is a new adventure for us. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 05:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
I have a friend who just loves this place near Point of Rock in MD. It really sounds like a fun adventure to go there. I'll e-mail her and see if I can get the name for you.

We do the fake tree bit. Years ago I won a 18-foot one in a charity event (the sort that you see in hotels). Much fancier than anything I'd ever buy, but since I won it and since I also happen to have a two-story family room, that's what we've been using for the past 12-13 years. It's going up today, and it'll take us the entire week to decorate it. Once we get it done, let me tell you that sucker stays up! Some years we've been known to keep it up until Valentine's Day.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:22 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,383 times
We go to Ticonderoga Farms each year.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:59 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
We go to Ticonderoga Farms each year.
thanks. that looks really nice!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:06 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,118 times
For Loudoun County:
Christmas Trees

We've bought trees from Day Star Farm twice and been happy with them. I hear good things about Snickers Gap, too.

As long as you keep the tree watered (it will require a LOT of water the first few days so check frequently, i.e., several times a day) it should last through New Year's if you cut it yourself. If you buy a pre-cut tree it's hard to say because you don't know when it was cut. If it will be several hours after cutting your tree before you put it in the stand with water, right before you put it up cut about 3/4" off the trunk to allow the tree to absorb the water better.

You can learn more about the types of trees and how to care for them from the National Christmas Tree Association (http://www.christmastree.org/home.cfm - broken link) website.

The Loudoun countryside makes the trip a pretty one. If you're going to be driving pretty far, you should bring bungee cords to attach the tree to the car or make especially sure that the tree is attached securely so it doesn't slide around (obviously you should do that regardless of how far you're driving but be extra sure if you're going far!). Lay a blanket between the top of the car and the tree to avoid excess sliding and scratching of your car. Also bring gloves for protecting your hands when you cut and handle the tree.

Most of all, bring a camera and have fun!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,118 times
Post Caring for Your Fresh Christmas Tree

National Christmas Tree Association: Tree Care Tips (http://www.christmastree.org/care.cfm - broken link)

How to Care for Your Farm-Grown Fresh Christmas Tree

When a Christmas tree is cut, over half of its weight is water. With proper care, you can maintain the quality of your displayed trees. Below are a number of tips relating to the care of displayed trees:
  1. Displaying trees in water in a traditional reservoir type stand is the most effective way of maintaining their freshness and minimizing needle loss problems.
  2. Make a fresh cut to remove about a 1/2-inch thick disk of wood from the base of the trunk before putting the tree in the stand. Make the cut perpendicular to the stem axis. Don't cut the trunk at an angle, or into a v-shape, which makes it far more difficult to hold the tree in the stand and also reduces the amount of water available to the tree.
  3. Once home, place the tree in water as soon as possible. Most species can go 6 to 8 hours after cutting the trunk and still take up water. Don't bruise the cut surface or get it dirty.
  4. If needed, trees can be temporarily stored for several days in a cool location. Place the freshly cut trunk in a bucket that is kept full of water.
  5. To display the trees indoors, use a stand with an adequate water holding capacity for the tree. As a general rule, stands should provide 1 quart of water per inch of stem diameter. Devices are available that help maintain a constant water level in the stand.
  6. Use a stand that fits your tree. Avoid whittling the sides of the trunk down to fit a stand. The outer layers of wood are the most efficient in taking up water and should not be removed.
  7. Keep displayed trees away from sources of heat (fireplaces, heaters, heat vents, direct sunlight). Lowering the room temperature will slow the drying process, resulting in less water consumption each day.
  8. The temperature of the water used to fill the stand is not important and does not affect water uptake.
  9. Check the stand daily to make sure that the level of water does not go below the base of the tree. With many stands, there can still be water in the stand even though the base of the tree is no longer submerged in water.
  10. Drilling a hole in the base of the trunk does not improve water uptake.
  11. Use of lights that produce low heat, such as miniature lights, will reduce drying of the tree.
  12. Always inspect light sets prior to placing them on the tree. If worn, replace with a new set.
  13. Do not overload electrical circuits.
  14. Always turn off the tree lights when leaving the house or when going to bed.
  15. Monitor the tree for freshness. After Christmas or if the tree is dry, remove it from the house.
  16. Go to The National Christmas Tree Association and type in your ZIP code to find a recycling program near you.
  17. Never burn any part of a Christmas tree in a wood stove or fireplace.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:24 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,309,590 times
Don't cheap out on the tree stand. We once had a plastic one that (unbeknownst to us) had the tiniest hairline crack in it. The tree was looking poorly even though we'd been watering the tree like crazy, and then we realized that the carpet (and padding, ugh) beneath the tree skirt was soaked.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:08 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
We do the fake tree bit. ... but since I won it and since I also happen to have a two-story family room....
Same here -- I used to get a fresh tree every year. But now I have a house with taller ceilings; that, and the whole trouble of hauling the thing home, setting it up, keeping it watered, keeping the cats from climbing it, dragging it out, etc.

However, I did make sure that my fake tree looked as "real" as possible .

I do like the look and smell of fresh trees though. I am thinking of a second tree, but one that's manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Once we get it done, let me tell you that sucker stays up! Some years we've been known to keep it up until Valentine's Day.
Hey, are you from New Jersey??? Only kidding! Alot of folks up in NJ have the holiday stuff up all the way into February. In fact, I think some people just keep the stuff up all year round!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
In fact, I think some people just keep the stuff up all year round!
One of these years, that's what I'm going to do.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 PM

172 posts, read 563,895 times
Thanks for the info - very helpful! My MIL is flying in next weekend, so we're going to wait for her & drive to the tree farms on Sunday - I think she'll like that. I can't wait - haven't had a real tree since I was in elem. school (not THAT long ago ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia