Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I currently living in Orange County, CA, and am getting ready for a job transfer to my company's McLean office. I have read a lot of threads about the area but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Basically I won't be able to check out the area before I relocate, so it is imperative that I pick the right place to live before I get there, as I don't want to get stuck in a place I can't stand. The following is what I am especially looking for:

1) Walking distance to the Metro, as I will be working in the District quite a lot. This is the most important feature.

2) At least a "quasi urban" feel. I'd like at least some sort of a downtown area with shops and restaurants. I don't want to have to trek to big suburban shopping malls or strip centers any more than I have to (I know that NoVa has a lot of them).

3) Prefer a medium sized apartment complex to a "mega" complex, but that's not a #1 priority. Would prefer mid-rise or high-rise living.

4) An area that is safe enough to walk around at night.

5) I prefer an area a bit more formal rather than laidback - a place where there a nice restaurants to get dressed up for, and the like.

From what I gather, Arlington sounds like the right area for me, but I'd appreciate your input. Or, are the Maryland areas like Silver Springs or Chevy Chase a better fit for me?

And if you can recommend any apartment complexes that come to mind fitting these specs, please advise.

Thanks in advance for all your help! I am so excited about moving and can't wait to start the next chapter of my life in the DC area!

Last edited by Curbed Enthusiasm; 12-04-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Clarendon. Don't go to MD.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:56 PM

330 posts, read 877,759 times
Check out Ballston, Clarendon, Rosslyn, Crystal City, Old Town Alexandria, Falls Church, and Bethesda. You may also consider the city as well - DC.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
If you have a big budget, Bethesda is wonderful - a nice size "city" completely walkable with tons of restaurants and some shops including grocery stores. Can walk to the Metro. There is a bike path that goes straight into Georgetown. It is lively every weekend with a nice mix of singles, couples, and families. I loved living there.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Chevy Chase is not a bad option, either, though Silver Spring is not as upscale as Bethesda or Chevy Chase.

In VA, Arlington would work, especially Rosslyn and other nearby areas that offer proximity to Georgetown for more restaurant options. And, in parts of Rosslyn, you can get a view of the river, the city, or Georgetown.

You can either walk across Key Bridge to Georgetown, or you can take a shuttle bus from the Metro, should you not want to drive. There is no Metro station in Georgetown, with the closest being Foggy Bottom, or Rosslyn on the Virginia side. Foggy Bottom is fine if you're want to be in the vicinity of the Four Seasons and don't mind a walk, but it's further away from places on M, Prospect, Wisconsin, K Street, etc.

Arlington tends to have more casual/business casual dining establishments, as does Falls Church, not that there is a dearth of fine dining options, but such establishments are not as plentiful as in the District.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-05-2009, 05:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
You might even like being right in McLean or Falls Church.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 26,196 times
Sounds like you should consider Arlington or Bethesda. Both cities are rather spread out and not all areas will meet your needs. But if you conduct your search around the metro lines you should find what you're looking for.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:27 AM

313 posts, read 551,423 times
Arlington hands down, unless you'd just want to actually live in DC. You're gonna pay for the features you want, but sounds like money isn't much of an issue. Expect to pay 1800/month for the features that you are describing, which coming from Orange County, I suspect you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia