Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 AM

15 posts, read 36,258 times

Advertisements

We are a young family with 2 children (ages 2 and 4) relocating to the DC/NoVa area for 2 years. We are overwhelmed with the options and opinions from various sites and are looking for some direction in our search for a home. We are looking for a single family rental home (need yard for our dog).

Our top requirements are:
-close to metro or transit as husband's job will be near L'Enfant plaza
-good elementary school as our oldest child will start Kindergarten next Fall.
Our rental range would be in the $2000-$2500 range.
I will be a stay at home Mom with our youngest child so we would love to be in an area that is family/child friendly. Our original search directed us towards Gainesville due to the newer/larger homes and lower prices. This is, however, out of the question because of the commute time to L'Enfant.

Where would you suggest we search for our rental? Any information is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahki74 View Post
We are a young family with 2 children (ages 2 and 4) relocating to the DC/NoVa area for 2 years. We are overwhelmed with the options and opinions from various sites and are looking for some direction in our search for a home. We are looking for a single family rental home (need yard for our dog).

Our top requirements are:
-close to metro or transit as husband's job will be near L'Enfant plaza
-good elementary school as our oldest child will start Kindergarten next Fall.
Our rental range would be in the $2000-$2500 range.
I will be a stay at home Mom with our youngest child so we would love to be in an area that is family/child friendly. Our original search directed us towards Gainesville due to the newer/larger homes and lower prices. This is, however, out of the question because of the commute time to L'Enfant.

Where would you suggest we search for our rental? Any information is greatly appreciated!
What is your husband's max preferred commuting time? You may find you need to compromise between land and commute in such an expensive area as this.

My best suggestion in terms of convenience would be Kingstowne (22315). It's definitely family-friendly and has all of your typical midscale shopping and restaurant chains. Your husband would be a short bus/kiss-and-ride away from two Metro stations. Actual train time would be 30-35 minutes, including a quick transfer for the Yellow Line to L'Enfant Plaza. The catch? Your budget would afford you townhomes.

A slightly less convenient but comfortable alternative might be West Springfield/Burke although I'm not knowledgeable on the rental prices for SFHs there. Burke has a Virginia Railway Express commuter train that goes directly to L'Enfant Plaza.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-30-2009 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM

216 posts, read 632,752 times
A friend of mine lives in Manassas Park near the VRE and says the schools are good there. It will be slightly less than an hour commute to L'Enfant and you can get a lot more for your money there.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times
If you are looking in Prince William County, I would stick to Gainesville if good schools are a priority. Some other areas might be okay, but it is hit-or-miss.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:17 AM

15 posts, read 36,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
What is your husband's max preferred commuting time? You may find you need to compromise between land and commute in such an expensive area as this.

My best suggestion in terms of convenience would be Kingstowne (22315). It's definitely family-friendly and has all of your typical midscale shopping and restaurant chains. Your husband would be a short bus/kiss-and-ride away from two Metro stations. Actual train time would be 30-35 minutes, including a quick transfer for the Yellow Line to L'Enfant Plaza. The catch? Your budget would afford you townhomes.

A slightly less convenient but comfortable alternative might be West Springfield/Burke although I'm not knowledgeable on the rental prices for SFHs there. Burke has a Virginia Railway Express commuter train that goes directly to L'Enfant Plaza.
I would say that my husband's max commute time would be 1 hour each way. With that said, we really don't know if that is a reasonable expectation? Is there an average "rule of thumb" commute for the area? Obviously he would rather have the shortest possible commute but I guess finding the perfect balance is what we are hoping for.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and pointers. Keep 'em coming!!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahki74 View Post
I would say that my husband's max commute time would be 1 hour each way. With that said, we really don't know if that is a reasonable expectation? Is there an average "rule of thumb" commute for the area? Obviously he would rather have the shortest possible commute but I guess finding the perfect balance is what we are hoping for.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and pointers. Keep 'em coming!!
There are a number of families here, often with a stay-at-home spouse, who desire a newer single family home with a "typical" amount of suburban spaciousness. Such families often find themselves in Loudoun or Prince William Counties, which are definitely over an hour commute from DC, even by train.

Loudoun, which has the Dulles Airport/Tech Corridor and Tysons Corner job/retail center nearby, is generally more expensive than PW but still less than comparables further in Fairfax/Alexandria/Arlington.

Prince William, which is far from most job centers and has the notoriously slow I-66 and I-95, also has a relatively high number of foreclosures. That doesn't mean that there aren't nice places to live here.

As mentioned before, the Virginia Railway Express will mitigate the commute from PW. If he wants/needs to be in his car, he should either negotiate a flexible schedule to arrive at work before 7:00 or after 9:30... or learn about the slugging (http://http://www.slug-lines.com/ - broken link)lifestyle.

From Loudoun, his best bet would be to take the county's express commuter bus into DC. He may have to hop on the Metro briefly (<10 minutes) after that.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
From Loudoun, his best bet would be to take the county's express commuter bus into DC. He may have to hop on the Metro briefly (<10 minutes) after that.
If I remember I could take a look at the route number, but a Loudoun bus passes me every morning on my way to work, as I'm crossing Independence Ave near L'Enfant.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
If I remember I could take a look at the route number, but a Loudoun bus passes me every morning on my way to work, as I'm crossing Independence Ave near L'Enfant.
Oh that's good news for the OP then!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:38 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
It depends on how much yard and how big of house, and how new of house, you want. I, for one, value not having to commute an hour each way to work and it boggles my mind each time I see people recommend Manassas, Gainesville, or Loudoun county to someone who will be working in downtown DC. And then we get to have more threads about how terrible traffic and commuting is in Northern Virginia.

There are plenty of family friendly places nearer to DC. You'll get less housing space, smaller closets, etc, for the money, but you won't be spending as much money or time commuting. Most schools in Northern Virginia are good, and you stated your oldest is starting kindergarten next year, and you're only staying in the area for 2 years? So your child will get only to 1st or 2nd grade by the time you leave for another location? In that case, I wouldn't get too concerned about school A versus school B.

I think the Kingstowne suggestion is a good one.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
it boggles my mind each time I see people recommend Manassas, Gainesville, or Loudoun county to someone who will be working in downtown DC. And then we get to have more threads about how terrible traffic and commuting is in Northern Virginia.
It's a viscious cycle. LOL! They sound like 22152 folks to me. The school and commuting options (especially to L'enfant) will be extremely difficult to beat, especially for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia