Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 PM

110 posts, read 248,156 times

Advertisements

So I had my sit down with the VP yesterday and laid it out...

"I want to relocate to VA/DC as soon as my current project is done."
I was just straight up and told him that I'm done w/ So Cal. I want to live somewhere where family values and a sense of community aren't just quaint little catch phrases. I want to live where history goes beyond Mexican adobe houses, CA indians and The Gold Rush. I'm done with my tax dollars going to support the 2nd highest paid teachers union in the nation, only to receive the 47th best service from the CA school system. Blah, blah...

I was told "Sorry to see you go but at least you're staying with the company. I'll see what I can do. No guarantees. Times are tough. The economy..."

Only to find out this morning that the request went straight to the top in DC and.... "Pending... blah, blah... We think we can make this happen and possibly pretty soon"

I'm so stoked! Clark is a big company with a lot of corp. B.S. like any other. But it was refreshing to see that they care about each and every employee and their families and their wishes.

So thanx ya'll for all the traffic and housing info and advice on where to live.
It appears it will come in handy.

If this does happen quick I'm going to have to rent and buy a little later I guess.

See ya on the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 PM

151 posts, read 693,356 times
congrats

Old 01-08-2010, 01:11 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Sorry, we're full.

. . .

(Just kidding. Welcome to NoVA. )

Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymax View Post

"I want to relocate to VA/DC as soon as my current project is done."
I was just straight up and told him that I'm done w/ So Cal. I want to live somewhere where family values and a sense of community aren't just quaint little catch phrases. I want to live where history goes beyond Mexican adobe houses, CA indians and The Gold Rush. I'm done with my tax dollars going to support the 2nd highest paid teachers union in the nation, only to receive the 47th best service from the CA school system. Blah, blah...

I was told "Sorry to see you go but at least you're staying with the company. I'll see what I can do. No guarantees. Times are tough. The economy..."

Only to find out this morning that the request went straight to the top in DC and.... "Pending... blah, blah... We think we can make this happen and possibly pretty soon"

I'm so stoked! Clark is a big company with a lot of corp. B.S. like any other. But it was refreshing to see that they care about each and every employee and their families and their wishes.

So thanx ya'll for all the traffic and housing info and advice on where to live.
It appears it will come in handy.

If this does happen quick I'm going to have to rent and buy a little later I guess.

See ya on the east side.

From your attitude, you should fit in very well in NoVA/DC.

Posts that will appear this morning: Homeowners promoting their neighborhood and schools and putting down "certain" areas.

(I moved here at the height of the housing bubble--to a very snobby neighborhood off the GW Parkway. That was a real eye opener into the nature of people here.)

Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times

Don't forget to bring your warm cloths brymax

Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Welcome to Nova. Life here is good, I definitely love living here. But... it may not be quite what you're idealizing. Some neighborhoods have a sense of community, others do not. If that's a big reason you're moving here, make sure you meet a few of your neighbors so you end up in one of the areas that does have a strong community.

As for history... well.... there are pockets of history here (especially near Alexandria or Leesburg, or in a few really old small towns out on the edge of the burbs). But... most of Nova is young, in fact still being built. Ironically, many of the areas that have a strongest sense of community were just empty fields 20 years ago.

There are a few places that have both qualities--look carefully, and you can find them. Leesburg, Hamilton, and Warrenton are some towns that might work. Waterford is one place you might really like--but could have a horrid commute. It can be a very long haul unless you're working in Leesburg area.

Waterford Photos

Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 AM

110 posts, read 248,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post

Don't forget to bring your warm cloths brymax
Yeah, a couple of the guys I work with are transplants from the DC area and they're constantly bustin my chops saying "1 DC winter and you'll be back".

It probably will be tough. I've never lived anywhere but So Cal. Born & raised here.

Being in construction makes the winters that much more difficult. Why just the other day here on my project in downtown LA it was like 43 degrees in the morning. I had to put a wind-breaker OVER my sweater. It didn't get back up to like 66 degrees for 2 hours.
That was a rough morning.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Yeah, a couple of the guys I work with are transplants from the DC area and they're constantly bustin my chops saying "1 DC winter and you'll be back".
Well, FWIW, we're getting our token nasty winter of the decade out of our system this year. So we'll probably have a few mild winters coming up.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:14 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
I want to live somewhere where family values and a sense of community aren't just quaint little catch phrases... I'm done with my tax dollars going to support the 2nd highest paid teachers union in the nation, only to receive the 47th best service from the CA school system.
What exactly is your image of life in Northern Virginia? Or have you lived here before?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Quote:

"I want to relocate to VA/DC as soon as my current project is done." I was just straight up and told him that I'm done w/ So Cal. I want to live somewhere where family values and a sense of community aren't just quaint little catch phrases.

So thanx ya'll for all the traffic and housing info and advice on where to live. It appears it will come in handy.

See ya on the east side.
Family values and sense of community "aren't just quaint little catch phrases." And you want to move HERE? Metro Washington, DC?

This is the center of the political arena of the United States of America. Quaint little catch phrases are abundant.

Where is Clark Corp.? What is your budget for housing? Housing and traffic information are important issues here, even if you have plenty of money.

Have you done any research on this area before requesting this move across the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia