Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8p View Post
I joined two today. One is a Euchre group and one is for ladies in their 20s and 30s to just do different stuff like movies, happy hour, game night, coffee, etc. I've enjoyed meetup in the past with some mommy groups but now I'd like to meet some nice people and NOT talk about our kids all the time.
What is Euchre?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
k8p

141 posts, read 394,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
What is Euchre?
a card game, played mostly in the midwest. It's fun!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM

I tried my first meetup group today. It was much bigger than I expected, about 20 or so people showed up. Everyone seemed nice. Mostly people in their mid 30s and 40s. A few in their 20s and a few in their 50's. And one guy about my age.

It was a very pleasant afternoon. I especially liked that I was invited back to more events, but there was no pressure at all. Nobody expected me to give out my phone number or commite to attending x amount of meetings or pay dues to officially join a club. I'll definitely do a few more activities with this group.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:41 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
I have tried it and the particular group I was with didn't work for me...but I think the concept is awesome. I was a part of a single mothers group and found that I was much more independent/self-sufficient/experienced than other mothers in the group. Instead of being a part of a "safe haven" of other people like me, I felt like it was a ***** session while eating crappy food. Give it a shot and keep going to other groups if you find you don't like the one you're in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The answer is: it depends. Some groups I've seen are purposely age-specific (e.g. "Social Activities for 30-49 Year Olds") while others are vague ("Travel Club"). I'd say that if you decided to join Co-Ed Flag Football, then more power to you! But I've also seen an "Alexandria Sunday Brunch Club" that I'm sure attracts adults of all ages. FWIW, I sometimes go to a international language Meetup where I see people from their 20's to 50's (and probably beyond).

So I say find what you like, show up and see what happens.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 AM

204 posts, read 665,824 times
I joined a Labrador Retriever meetup group last year and have gotten together with the group 6-8 times. (with our dogs of course) It's been great. I was a new dog owner, so this group has served a few purposes for me: exercise/socialization for my pup, informational for me, new friendships not based on my kids. They only meet at public places. The group's moderator is fantastic, she really puts a lot of time into scheduling great activities and communicating with the group.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:38 PM

257 posts, read 565,535 times
I did meetup when I was in grad school in Cincinnati. I played in a poker league that would rotate between three people's homes (it was a blast). I also did a couple of dining out groups -- one happened to be a lot of middle aged divorced females. (At the time, I was a mid-twenties single male.) Although I do socialize well with older people, I was surprised at what an absolute blast it really was.

Now that I'm married and out here, I've been trying to keep my eye open for couple-oriented meetup groups. So, if there are any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
I did meetup when I was in grad school in Cincinnati. I played in a poker league that would rotate between three people's homes (it was a blast). I also did a couple of dining out groups -- one happened to be a lot of middle aged divorced females. (At the time, I was a mid-twenties single male.) Although I do socialize well with older people, I was surprised at what an absolute blast it really was.

Now that I'm married and out here, I've been trying to keep my eye open for couple-oriented meetup groups. So, if there are any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Tonight there's a meet-up group hiking around South Lakes in Reston. Meet at the S Lakes Starbucks at 6:30. Couples and singles belong to this group.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:38 PM

21 posts, read 36,506 times
I joined a few Meetups the first year I moved to D.C., as a way of meeting people. I have since steered away from the groups that focus solely on going out and socializing, and more towards ones based on specific activities (like hiking, trying new restaurants, etc.). I'm in a 20s & 30s Girls Dinner Date group, a few for single professionals, the Jazz & Blues group, a running club that meets in my neighborhood, and a few of the hiking ones.

It's a nice way to get out of the house and meet people, but I've only made a handful of friendships from Meetup. I've found it difficult to meet people I really "click" with, but that's part of the reason I keep going and trying different groups. It's also been a great way to explore different areas of D.C. that I would have never known about.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:57 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
The only sort of meetup group I'd consider trying would be one that focused on a very specialized hobby (or sport or whatever). The general social/PARTAY! ones sort of weird me out. I mean, if you were seeking those sorts of interactions, couldn't you just go to a bar and 'partay' with whatever random people happened to be there?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
The only sort of meetup group I'd consider trying would be one that focused on a very specialized hobby (or sport or whatever). The general social/PARTAY! ones sort of weird me out. I mean, if you were seeking those sorts of interactions, couldn't you just go to a bar and 'partay' with whatever random people happened to be there?
Hanging out at bar gets expensive, plus random people at a bar often are "with" other people and don't want to party with you. I think you're likely to meet a lot more people at a meet-up than at a bar, and meet-ups are a way to meet people without a focus on drinking. But I'm with you, the best groups are the ones that focus on a special interest. I tried a hiking group, and liked it quite a bit. Saw a trail in Reston that I'd never been on before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia