Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:34 PM

216 posts, read 632,752 times

Advertisements

I'll see what I can do about the photos when it gets warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Interesting...I know when I was going to move to that area back in the late 90's, my coworker who lived in Virginia for many years, insisted that I only live in McLean. He said it was very safe and a decent commute to where our offices were. Wasn't McLean one of the first planned communities in NoVa?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM

100 posts, read 218,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I like McLean. I like it a lot, especially when I drive downhill on Kirby Road. McLean is great--but, IMO, no nicer than Great Falls. Or most of Falls Church. Or Vienna. Or Wolftrap. Or any number of other nice neighborhoods.

So here's a mystery....

I know many people moving here from my old neighborhood in southern California. I can't tell you how many of them tell me they want to find a house in "either Georgetown or McLean." I ask them why, and they say "everyone knows those are the two best neighborhoods" but they rarely know reasons beyond that.

I'm intrigued--how did McLean get such a sterling reputation? I don't begrudge the reputation, just wondering how it came to be. Is it because people hear it mentioned in the news (movie stars and politicians live there). Or are the schools really that much better that people in California know about it? Or... maybe some other reason altogether?

What do you guys think?

1) shorter commute to DC
2) best schools
3) safe

Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Wasn't McLean one of the first planned communities in NoVa?
I don't think "planned" is one of the words that most people would associate readily with McLean. Reston was one of the first planned communities in NoVa. McLean by comparison is about as well organized as spilt milk...but it works once you get used to it....

Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Oh, yes...it was Reston. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I wonder what it's like to live in McLean with all that construction work at Tyson's. Has it affected the traffic in McLean (or, just in the immediate Tyson's area). The reason I'm wondering is, traffic was one big reason McLean had such a great rep. People moving here liked that it was so convenient to the Tysons, office buildings (in particular the CIA) and shopping. If traffic is now really bad in McLean then that could hurt it's "sterling" reputation with people moving in these days.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I wonder what it's like to live in McLean with all that construction work at Tyson's. Has it affected the traffic in McLean (or, just in the immediate Tyson's area). The reason I'm wondering is, traffic was one big reason McLean had such a great rep. People moving here liked that it was so convenient to the Tysons, office buildings (in particular the CIA) and shopping. If traffic is now really bad in McLean then that could hurt it's "sterling" reputation with people moving in these days.
Part of Tysons has a McLean address, and part of it has a Vienna address, so the construction surely impacts those traveling to the McLean part of Tysons, whether from McLean or other areas. Otherwise, I don't think the construction work in Tysons is having a great deal of impact on those living in the residential areas of McLean or those commuting between McLean and Arlington or DC.

Overall, given the continued population growth in the region and the construction in areas like Tysons, the inner suburbs like Arlington and McLean arguably are even more attractive to a lot of people. I know that some of the real estate statistics that I've seen have suggested that Alexandria, Arlington and McLean have fared better during the downturn than Great Falls, which is further out.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I agree with JEB77. While part of Tysons has a McLean address, I don't really consider that "McLean." In fact, I mostly think of McLean as the part inside the beltway where the downtown area is. McLean has some of the area's wealthiest residents, along with a decent commute to the city, and schools with the highest test scores. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

If anything, the improvement in the Tysons area will only increase the value of McLean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia