Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM

43 posts, read 214,675 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the traffic pattern/hours of rush hour are - on I-495 in virginia between the Dunn Loring/I-66 area and the Springfield area (to connect to 95) ??? I really have no idea. I'm interested in 6 am, 10 am, 3 pm, 6 pm and 8 pm. I'm only familiar with the patterns on 95 and 395.

.... and that there IS NO pattern on I-66 (or do I have that wrong?)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,631 times
The inner ring of the Beltway goes clockwise, the outer ring is counter-clockwise. Traffic is bad every day.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee11 View Post
Can anyone tell me what the traffic pattern/hours of rush hour are - on I-495 in virginia between the Dunn Loring/I-66 area and the Springfield area (to connect to 95) ??? I really have no idea. I'm interested in 6 am, 10 am, 3 pm, 6 pm and 8 pm. I'm only familiar with the patterns on 95 and 395.

Thanks!
3pm and 6pm- YUCK!!!

6am- beginning of rush hour, might be a little rough

10am and 8pm- end of both rush hours so-so

Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
From Dunn Loring to Springfield, the issue will be with afternoon traffic that tends to slow between I-66 and Braddock Road. In the morning, there's no problem at 6, 8, 10, etc., save for construction delays that may be implemented with HOT lane construction. It's a reverse commute to Springfield in the morning, since all the traffic is headed to Tysons.

Now, if you were planning on getting on I-66 to get to 495, that's an issue in the morning, so I would suggest picking up The Beltway from Fairview Park, or Route 50, depending upon location in Dunn Loring.

Between 3 and 8, the traffic can be fine until about 3-3:30-4, depending upon day, but then has some slowdowns, with the worst traffic generally from about 5-6:15-30 or so. There can be lasting delays until 7, but generally traffic will begin to lighten up after that, and it might be heavy traffic, but generally moves without delay after 7. At 8, you would not have an issue, most days, save for delays due to HOT lane construction that might impact the overnight traffic, but that's generally later at night when it does occur (not every night).

Now, in reverse, from Springfield to Dunn Loring, the morning traffic is bad until about 10, then lightens. Afternoons can be tricky, but if there is an issue, it's generally between 66 and Tysons where the delays begin, but sometimes it's Route 50. If you need to get back to Dunn Loring, again, I would avoid I-66 in the afternoon/evening, since it's faster to exit at 50 or Gallows Road, and take side streets to Dunn Loring.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
[quote=Tee11;12642251]Can anyone tell me what the traffic pattern/hours of rush hour are - on I-495 in virginia between the Dunn Loring/I-66 area and the Springfield area (to connect to 95) ??? I really have no idea. I'm interested in 6 am, 10 am, 3 pm, 6 pm and 8 pm. I'm only familiar with the patterns on 95 and 395.

You might want to consider alternate routes for the rush hour times. I-66 is inexplicably slow at times when there shouldn't be that much traffic. It is one of the worst interstates I have ever seen. I have found that the beltway moves much faster than I-66. The HOT lanes are causing a problem though... I'm still not sold on the idea because there's too much money involved. I have heard that the tolls will be very high during rush hour. I don't think its reasonable (or morally right) to charge that much money for people to drive a few miles on the beltway.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
From Dunn Loring to Springfield, the issue will be with afternoon traffic that tends to slow between I-66 and Braddock Road. In the morning, there's no problem at 6, 8, 10, etc., save for construction delays that may be implemented with HOT lane construction. It's a reverse commute to Springfield in the morning, since all the traffic is headed to Tysons.

Now, if you were planning on getting on I-66 to get to 495, that's an issue in the morning, so I would suggest picking up The Beltway from Fairview Park, or Route 50, depending upon location in Dunn Loring.

Between 3 and 8, the traffic can be fine until about 3-3:30-4, depending upon day, but then has some slowdowns, with the worst traffic generally from about 5-6:15-30 or so. There can be lasting delays until 7, but generally traffic will begin to lighten up after that, and it might be heavy traffic, but generally moves without delay after 7. At 8, you would not have an issue, most days, save for delays due to HOT lane construction that might impact the overnight traffic, but that's generally later at night when it does occur (not every night).

Now, in reverse, from Springfield to Dunn Loring, the morning traffic is bad until about 10, then lightens. Afternoons can be tricky, but if there is an issue, it's generally between 66 and Tysons where the delays begin, but sometimes it's Route 50. If you need to get back to Dunn Loring, again, I would avoid I-66 in the afternoon/evening, since it's faster to exit at 50 or Gallows Road, and take side streets to Dunn Loring.
Thank you so much for all the details! I am trying to find out whether there is such thing as a "reverse commute" on that part of the beltway, so as far as I understand going south towards Springfield is fine in the morning but bad in the afternoon, and going north from Springfield towards the I-66 interchange is bad in the morning or after the interchange with I-66 in the afternoon.
I hope I got that right now. Now someone mentioned bad NIGHT traffic!!! I didn't even ask about that because I assumed it was fine in both directions! But I would need to travel north sometimes at around 2-3 am, is that bad???

Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
3pm and 6pm- YUCK!!!

6am- beginning of rush hour, might be a little rough

10am and 8pm- end of both rush hours so-so
LOL, that about describes it!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
You might want to consider alternate routes for the rush hour times. I-66 is inexplicably slow at times when there shouldn't be that much traffic. It is one of the worst interstates I have ever seen. I have found that the beltway moves much faster than I-66. The HOT lanes are causing a problem though... I'm still not sold on the idea because there's too much money involved. I have heard that the tolls will be very high during rush hour. I don't think its reasonable (or morally right) to charge that much money for people to drive a few miles on the beltway.
Yes, I know I-66 appears the most unpredictable.
I also have my doubts about the HOT lanes becasue I read that there will be only very few onramps and exits and they will not be the same in both directions. Also they are to be completely separate ramps from the highway, meaning, it sounds like you have to decide in advance whether to get on it, no chance to get on it when you're already on 495... we'll have to see.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Quote:
I hope I got that right now. Now someone mentioned bad NIGHT traffic!!! I didn't even ask about that because I assumed it was fine in both directions! But I would need to travel north sometimes at around 2-3 am, is that bad???
The inner loop (northbound) beltway should be moving pretty well between Springfield and I-66 at 2-3am weekdays. But there is construction with a lot of night work throughout that corridor and it is difficult to predict exactly when backups may occur, especially at the I-66 interchange. Once the construction is done there should be no issue for you.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all the details! I am trying to find out whether there is such thing as a "reverse commute" on that part of the beltway, so as far as I understand going south towards Springfield is fine in the morning but bad in the afternoon, and going north from Springfield towards the I-66 interchange is bad in the morning or after the interchange with I-66 in the afternoon.
Not always, just when there is scheduled overnight HOT lane work. And, since it's usually broadcast in advance, it's possible to take an alternate rout that might only add 10 minutes to your trip at 2am.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia