Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,965,593 times

Advertisements

My beautiful garden took quite a hit from this snow storm. I did what I could. I'm not really supposed to go trudging around in 3 foot deep snow but I was there for a few hours, saving what I could. Sadly, the casualties include the following:

These magnificent photinias were almost 15 years old. They were a particulr pride and joy. I may be able to save the one in the middle but it will be about a third of its size. Heartbreaking.

I'm sure I have another photo of the cherry tree. It was so pretty. But right now all I can find to remember it is this photo of a few branches. Sadly, broken branches are mostly what I have left. The tree essentially split in two places, and one large branch peel a long strip of bark down the whole tree. I'll try to save the tree but I'm pretty sure it's a goner.

The top of this perfect pine tree cracked and fell off. I'm sad about the tree, but grateful it missed the house. I'm nervous about a few other trees that could cause some damage if they fall over tonight.

My rose garden has a whole bunch of rose bushes, some of them very old. I hope a few of them survived but I suspect there's been a lot of damage here. Won't know for weeks, of course. the whole garden is buried right now. The poor little dogwood tree is bent over badly, but I think I saved it.

This rose bush snapped into pieces. But, hopefully I can trim it way back and save it.

I know my losses are small compared to some of the damages everyone is facing. I mean nobody died, and I can buy new plants. But my garden meant a great deal to me. So I wanted to take a moment say R.I.P. to some beautiful plants that I spent years caring for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,095 times
Oh no. But hopefully most of it will bounce back. Pretty garden though!! Just plant lots and lots of new flowers, they'll keep your attention away from the trees. I hope those roses made it!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Oh no. But hopefully most of it will bounce back. Pretty garden though!! Just plant lots and lots of new flowers, they'll keep your attention away from the trees. I hope those roses made it!
Sometime gardens can surprise you. I've seen them bounce back before, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. And planting new trees can be a good thing. I guess I'm done mourning, I just wanted to take a moment to feel a little sad. But hey, it could be a lot worse.

And you're right--this year I'll go crazy putting in marigolds and even if I have to cut the older plants back it will all still be beautiful.

But I'll tell you, I'm ready for winter to be over. Really, really, really ready.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Sometime gardens can surprise you. I've seen them bounce back before, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. And planting new trees can be a good thing. I guess I'm done mourning, I just wanted to take a moment to feel a little sad. But hey, it could be a lot worse.

And you're right--this year I'll go crazy putting in marigolds and even if I have to cut the older plants back it will all still be beautiful.

But I'll tell you, I'm ready for winter to be over. Really, really, really ready.
My parents and grandparents are all amazing gardeners (even my brother!!). Where they live, they get about double this snow every year. Granted, it doesn't snow all in one day but their gardens have a tendency to bounce right back. The apple and plum trees might lose a small branch every year but that's about it. So let's keep our fingers crossed!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:14 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,894,449 times
photinias are extremely hardy...when spring comes cut them way back (before they bud) past the "break" line and by summer you will be amazed at how much new growth you will have.
Same for the roses...really prune them back after the last frost, they will do great.

The pine sadly will never be the same, but it probably won't die. We lost the top 4ft off a 30ft in pA once and it was fine...just not a pretty!

All your perinenails will be ok...If your bulbs had started to "peek" out just leave them some may bloom some may not, but the bulb will be good to go next year.

Good luck

Old 02-06-2010, 03:48 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,897 times
Beautiful photos, you're a great gardener -- I feel for you. But I agree that many of your plants may surprise you in their comebacks.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,453,092 times
We've lost two trees so far, and another two aren't looking too good.

On a related note (and certainly a casualty of the blizzard), I understand from my wife - who heard via Facebook - that the roof collapsed on the ice skating rink in Dale City.

Last edited by GreenGene; 12-31-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,674,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
We've lost two trees so far, and another two aren't looking too good.

On a related note (and certainly a casualty of the blizzard), I understand from my wife - who heard via Facebook - that the roof collapsed on the ice skating rink in Dale City.

I heard that too! It was scrolling along the bottom of the TV on Channel 7 news.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks you guys. And yes, when seen in the perspective of collapsed buildings my losses aren't that big.

On a positive note... hey, at least I finally found a way to stop those pesky solicitors from leaving pizza ads on my front door. Nobody's walking up my front steps from quite a while. We ran out of places to dump the snow from the driveway, so the front steps are now buried in about 6 feet of hard packed snow.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
on a positive note... Hey, at least i finally found a way to stop those pesky solicitors from leaving pizza ads on my front door.
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia