Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 AM

111 posts, read 574,834 times

Advertisements

I am considering attending the Northern VA Community College in Springfield, VA for two years and am looking for affordable neighborhoods ($350k for small house?) with good schools, which from reading these forums and cost of living stats seems to be an oxymoron for nova. I have one child entering 6th grade.
I grew up in VA Beach and was looking to relocate back there (from Littleton, CO where I currently live), but my family in the area is extremely negative on that idea, due to schools, high crime, high cost of housing, traffic, etc. Another consideration is that my daughter's side of the family is in San Fran, so nova would put us closer to Dulles airport with direct flights whereas in south virginia, she'd have to take a connecting flight. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Is there a specific reason you'd have/want to go to the Springfield campus? If I understood correctly, you're looking to attend as a student? They have campuses all around but I know only some have certain programs (such as nursing). I really like their Loudoun campus in Sterling, it's small and very close to Dulles if you're planning on flying often. Good luck!!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:03 PM

111 posts, read 574,834 times
Yes, I will be a student. The Springfield campus is I believe the only one where the healthcare program I'll be taking is offered, but I don't mind a minute commute to get there (hopefully not much more than 30-40 minutes ), especially since I won't have to attend every day. I'll be looking for healthcare jobs when I graduate, especially at hospitals. Also open to suggestions on any good, family-oriented neighborhoods to look for rentals (where I could buy something in my budget down the road).

Last edited by lovesunnydays; 02-27-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 09:16 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
I suggest the Annandale or Burke areas -- easy commute to Springfield and close to the medical establishments surrounding Inova Fairfax.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Generally, the schools in this area are quite good. You really can't get a "bad" school, though some are A++++ while other's are B+/A-. I can't comment specifically on the schools (others can add on), but that's my general view from being here a few years. It's not like where I grew up where there was definitely a school you wanted to avoid if possible.

You might want to look into the homes in the Rose Hill area of Alexandria. Also possibly Virginia Hills (off Telegraph Rd). North Springfield might be another option. All of these have older, 1950's style homes, but they're very cute neighborhoods with easy access to the NoVA campus.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:31 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The medical campus is also very convenient from Lorton, Springfield, and West Springfield. You should be able to find a smaller house or a townhouse in West Springfield around your price point. In Lorton, you could definitely find a newer garage townhouse for between $300-$350k. Springfield has some areas that are not as nice, in the immediate mall vicinity, partially due to congestion, and older housing stock that might not be as well maintained.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Lorton seems to be making quite the comeback. There was a time it wasn't that appealing, but that seems to be changing big time. I'm glad, it always seems like a pretty place to me.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Lorton seems to be making quite the comeback. There was a time it wasn't that appealing, but that seems to be changing big time. I'm glad, it always seems like a pretty place to me.
Indeed. The prison ruined Lorton, but now with the park taking its place along the Occoquan, a good regional middle/high school, and newer housing stock, Lorton is taking its place as a desirable area.

City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-02-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Indeed. The prison ruined Lorton, but now with the park along the Occoquan and a good regional middle/high school, and newer housing stock, Lorton is taking its place as a desirable area.
It's been many years since the prison was there, right? I think you're right that that's the factor that changed the general attitude. Maybe after 5-6 years the fact that a prison was once nearby stops being an issue.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's been many years since the prison was there, right? I think you're right that that's the factor that changed the general attitude. Maybe after 5-6 years the fact that a prison was once nearby stops being an issue.
I think the final phase of the close-out occurred around 2001. It really has made a huge difference in the area, especially since the prison was DC's prison.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia