Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM

216 posts, read 633,190 times

Advertisements

Check out the part of Alexandria near the intersection of 395 and King St, and the adjacent Fairlington. There may be some condo rentals there. That area has a bit more of a residential feel than Landmark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 02:31 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
I recommend Monticello-Lee on S. Washington St in old town. You should be able to find a 1 BR for right around $1400. Its an old complex, but they recently did some upgrades, and (Jose) the maintanence guy is great. Its a relaxed environment in a great neighborhood. Each building is 3 stories, and it is fairly quiet there. the good thing is that you are 6-7 blocks from King St, and 5-6 blocks from the Potomac river. There are a couple other apartments down S. washington that are W/I your price range as well.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 PM

28 posts, read 93,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildinginva View Post
Check out the part of Alexandria near the intersection of 395 and King St, and the adjacent Fairlington. There may be some condo rentals there. That area has a bit more of a residential feel than Landmark.
Thanks, that reminds me.. any feedback on renting from a private individual versus a big management company? I guess it depends on the specific circumstances, I know some companies seem to be better liked than others. I'm just trying to balance my options here and think pros/cons. Also, what about condo/mid-rise vs. high rise?

Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl7 View Post
Thanks, that reminds me.. any feedback on renting from a private individual versus a big management company? I guess it depends on the specific circumstances, I know some companies seem to be better liked than others. I'm just trying to balance my options here and think pros/cons. Also, what about condo/mid-rise vs. high rise?
After 5 years in my high-rise, I'm through with high-rises. I'm sticking with gardens.

And I'd go with a private individual, we've always had better luck renting from private renters and they are more willing to work with you.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM

216 posts, read 633,190 times
I've heard many people say that condo rentals can be a better deal than apartments. As to mid vs. high rise, I think it's a matter of preference. Some high rises (esp. condos) come with some kind of security system at the door or a manned front desk, whereas garden-style condos don't have that. Some of the high rises, although not all, may also have more amenities (pool, fitness room etc.) but that really varies.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:04 PM

28 posts, read 93,589 times
Yes I've noticed security level differs. Well, I guess crime can happen anywhere but I guess I felt safer if I were slightly less isolated. Then again, maybe not if people are coming and going and there are too many residents that there's always an unfamiliar face.

Amenities, on the other hand, are an iffy point with me. They're not so critical that I would weight my decision heavily on them. And sure they're nice but don't know how much I would try to take advantage of them. Then again, if I have to pay a couple hundred in amenity fees at corporate-owned buildings I better make full use huh?

Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl7 View Post
How's the commute from Pentagon City to Old town Alexandria during the work week? The area looks great because it's close to shopping and metro. Rent is a bit pricier..but it's trade-off, I guess, because most of the other places I was considering are not at all within walking distance to the metro.
About 10 minutes if you catch all the lights wrong, maybe 15 if you're on the far catty-corner end of Old Town from Pentagon City and you still catch all the lights wrong.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
You can find rent for less than $1400 in Old Town. There's an older complex in the southeast area of Old Town called Hunting Point I believe where rent is as low as 1000-1100 for a one bedroom as earlier ago as last year when I was looking. Not sure what the rates are now.

Like I said, it's an older place but I liked it. I wanted a garage for my motorcycle, so that's why I passed.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 27,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
As someone who lives in the Landmark/Lincolnia area, I would say, it would depend on where you came from of whether you consider it sketchy or not. If you are from picket-fence surburbia, you'll probably be intimidated. If you grew up in a decent sized city like I did (Hampton, VA) you'll be fine. I think that Landmark has more bang for the buck than anywhere inside the beltway.
I've lived in Alexandria my whole life and grew up around Landmark and many other areas in Alexandria. The Landmark area has gotten worse and worse over the years.

The crime rate , esp. near S. Whiting has shot way up. Mugging, stabbings, and murders.

I also lived right outside Hampton for a year, so I hear ya! But for a young single female, coming home at night, you do NOT want to put yourself in an area that has such a high crime rate.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
You can find rent for less than $1400 in Old Town. There's an older complex in the southeast area of Old Town called Hunting Point I believe where rent is as low as 1000-1100 for a one bedroom as earlier ago as last year when I was looking. Not sure what the rates are now.

Like I said, it's an older place but I liked it. I wanted a garage for my motorcycle, so that's why I passed.
Yes, you are correct I rented a 1Br there for $1140, and it included utilities. Its older, and not right in the heart of old town, but it is otherwise ok... and, the pool is great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia