Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times

Advertisements

I just filled out my Census form and wow, I think this form is written very poorly... the first half of the question asks about skin color and the second part asks about ethnicity/origins (which are all part of the same question mind you). This doesn't make sense at all.

And in my family... I have someone who is a naturalized citizen from Africa, but he is not black. So, is he an African-American? Technically, yes. But on the census form, No, because that is linked with the Black race.

Plus there is no category for me to put him in... he is not white either. I had to write him in in Other.

And then how do I classify our children, who do not look white like me, and have double nationality? (Frustrated I just listed them as white, but it begs the question).

Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
I think you should call up the guberment census dept. and ask them - we pay their salary so they should help you out

Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
I just filled out my Census form and wow, I think this form is written very poorly... the first half of the question asks about skin color and the second part asks about ethnicity/origins (which are all part of the same question mind you). This doesn't make sense at all.

And in my family... I have someone who is a naturalized citizen from Africa, but he is not black. So, is he an African-American? Technically, yes. But on the census form, No, because that is linked with the Black race.

Plus there is no category for me to put him in... he is not white either. I had to write him in in Other.

And then how do I classify our children, who do not look white like me, and have double nationality? (Frustrated I just listed them as white, but it begs the question).
Your family member from Africa should probably go with the closest definition to his ethnicity. As I mentioned in another census thread, I haven't opened mine up yet. But if "check all that apply" is an option, I would use that for your children. Otherwise, I suppose "Other" is the best option there too.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,636 times
I can sympathize. My friends who are Arab or Persian never really know how to answer these questions, either. "Other Asian" seems very strange to someone from the Middle East, who doesn't really consider themselves Asian, and African-American isn't a great label to describe someone from Egypt, given that Americans typically use black and African-American as synonyms (as reflected in the Census).

I'm actually really surprised that after eight and a half years after 9/11, the government is still kind of clueless with regard to Americans from the Middle East and North Africa.

Also...sorry if you were referring to someone who was not an Arab from North Africa. Based on your "from Africa, but not black" comment, I just assumed. Anyways, there are many groups that are poorly defined by the 2010 census, you and your family are not alone!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:35 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Aside from that...they want a phone # in case they have "questions"....what could they POSSIBLY question on the form? Nuts!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Are you aware that legally you are required to answer only the first 2 questions? That's all I answered and All I intend to answer.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Aside from that...they want a phone # in case they have "questions"....what could they POSSIBLY question on the form? Nuts!
LOL, didn't you hear that's the newest plan for how to pay off our national debt? Sell the phone numbers fo telemarketers! (Yes, I'm joking...)

Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post

Many of my friends are simply writing in "American" and refusing to answer the race question. Why does the government need to know that anyway? What difference does it make?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:28 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Are you aware that legally you are required to answer only the first 2 questions? That's all I answered and All I intend to answer.
Actually, that's wrong.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Many of my friends are simply writing in "American" and refusing to answer the race question. Why does the government need to know that anyway? What difference does it make?
Well we all know that NOVA is a rather ethnically and racially diverse region. I personally would be curious to know what the stats were for that. And with the influx of (legal) immigration, I think it would help to have a more accurate analysis of how things are trending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia