Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,227 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm contemplating a job that would have me traveling from Howard county to Tyson's Corner. It's VERY early and we haven't talked flex schedules or anything to aid in the commuting, but I thought I'd ask here just how bad the situation is - and the options I would have as far as commuting (mass transit or otherwise).

If I can change my schedule, would a 7AM workday start or a later start (9:30/10) be preferable?

I'm also debating the need to move. Family has put some roots down in the Howard Co / Maryland area and would prefer not to move, but if push comes to shove and the job is worth it, I'm sure a move would be on the table.

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I would want the earlier hours if I were making that commute, not only for the traffic in the morning, but to beat some of the delays on the American Legion and the top side of The Beltway in the afternoon. You do have some options, however, in the afternoon, either going through McLean to join 495 at Georgetown Pike, or taking 123 to the GW Parkway to join 495 at the American Legion, if traffic is especially bad from Tysons to the bridge.

If the bridge and top side of The Beltway are bad, it can be faster to go through DC. If you take 123, cross Chain Bridge, follow Canal (Clara Barton Pwy north of the bridge) to a left on Arizona (there's a reversible lane on this stretch, so it might be one lane inbound, not one and a turn lane -- depending upon time of day). Follow Arizona up the hill, turn left on MacArthur (watch your speed -- cameras). Follow MacArthur to a right on Loughboro Road (including some more speed cameras), then a left on Dalecarlia Parkway (with even more speed cameras -- watch you speed). Follow that to the traffic circle, and then take the Connecticut Avenue exit. You will pass Chevy Chase County Club on your left, and The Beltway is about 2 miles away. Connecticut can have traffic, but on really awful days when it can take over an hour to get to the same point in traffic, that route can save 30-40 minutes.

Later in the morning, you get into road construction hours on The Beltway, so that can be an issue with the start time closer to 10. Plus, if there was a terrible delay, the residuals can last into the ten o'clock hour, whereas if you planned to be in the office by 7, you would avoid the majority of the heaviest delays.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-04-2010, 10:17 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffEaglz View Post
OK, I'm contemplating a job that would have me traveling from Howard county to Tyson's Corner. It's VERY early and we haven't talked flex schedules or anything to aid in the commuting, but I thought I'd ask here just how bad the situation is - and the options I would have as far as commuting (mass transit or otherwise).

If I can change my schedule, would a 7AM workday start or a later start (9:30/10) be preferable?

I'm also debating the need to move. Family has put some roots down in the Howard Co / Maryland area and would prefer not to move, but if push comes to shove and the job is worth it, I'm sure a move would be on the table.

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.
Go with 7 AM. I've commuted that stretch numerous times from Arlington to clients in Maryland and the Outer Loop is VERY congested even at 9 or 10 am. If you start work in Tysons at 7 you will likely be traveling on the Beltway between 95 (depending on where in Howard you are coming from) and the Legion Bridge at around 630ish. Traffic will be somewhat heavy but moving at or above the speed limit. Usually after 730 all bets are off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia