Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:14 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times

Advertisements

Everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion, of course, but for those of you who genuinely do not understand why some people "stigmatize" or refuse to shop at Wal-mart, check into its history of labor and employment law violations and pending cases. Check into the issues with suppliers. Some people find what Wal-mart has done or is doing offensive and, if they can afford it, prefer to shop at stores which may not be perfect but which, they may perceive, behave better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
oh BS, those people don't shop at walmart because they have a high and mighty attitude and don't want to mingle with the dirty masses

Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I think the land is just too expensive in Fairfax County to open a Wal-Mart; that's my guess.

Alicia, a new Walgreens opened up a few months ago in Vienna. We now have a CVS, Walgreen's, Rexall, and Rite-Aid all within a 1/2 mile of each other.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
I wonder why Walgreen's didn't enter this market decades ago?

When I went to work at the Pentagon in the 70's there was a Walgreen's on the Concourse....as far as I know, it was their only store in this area. It turns out that store opened in 1943 (shortly after the building opened)...and operated up into the 80's, when Rite-Aid took it's place. CVS later outbid Rite-Aid, and is there to this day (I think...I retired in '02). The CVS manager once told me that that tiny store is the most profitable in the entire chain of 1000's of stores. The place WAS packed most of the day...

Anyway, I don't think there's a dime's worth of difference between drug store chains....they all just dump pills in a bottle and bill your insurance company....my co-pay is the same at all of 'em.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:57 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just noticed they're putting a new Wal Mart in on Highway 1 near Kings Crossing. At one time there was talk of a Wegmans but guess we just don't rate that or a Trader Joes. There's already another Wal Mart down the highway about 3 miles. Between this and the new trailer park under discussion it just seems we're not making much progress at our end of the county. The lower rent properties drive the retail along there even though there are a lot of farily upscale neighborhoods close by along the parkway. You want anything decent you're still going to have to drive into Old Town. Very disappointing.
Is Kings Crossing where the old Michaels used to be? I noticed there is construction there but I travel on (terrible but I don't know street names sometimes) the "side" street N. Kings Highway? to avoid Rt. 1 some. Anyway, I've read through these posts and some say a Super Walmart which we don't have and I've heard both good and bad about. Honestly, I don't go into our Walmarts here anymore (haven't in yrs.), I have in other states and they are totally different (never been in a Super Walmart though). I'd love to see a Wegman's, I hear great things but I haven't gone out of my way to see the Fairfax one. Trader Joe's might have been another good option. Some think TJ's is high-end but if they'd ever go in one, sometimes produce and dairy is less than the chains, many items are extremely reasonably priced.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just noticed they're putting a new Wal Mart in on Highway 1 near Kings Crossing. At one time there was talk of a Wegmans but guess we just don't rate that or a Trader Joes. There's already another Wal Mart down the highway about 3 miles...

I'd bet that the new WalMart is intended to replace the old store...that's how they do things.

I drag my banjo down to Southwest VA occasionally (to show them local boys how it's done!) and in this one town, Wally built a brand new Superstore right across the street from an older store. When the new store opened, the old one closed immediately. Pretty smart, if you ask me, they don't miss a single sale during the construction!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
...Trader Joe's might have been another good option. Some think TJ's is high-end but if they'd ever go in one, sometimes produce and dairy is less than the chains, many items are extremely reasonably priced.

That's not the least bit surprising, considering that Aldi's owns Trader Joe's. The Albrecht brothers (of Germany) made their billions by deep discounting.

Aldi=ALbrecht DIscount

Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Walgreens is open in Springfield, too, and Centreville. They are building new stores/rebuilding spaces, however, to meet their store model, which can be expensive. In Fairfax City, the original location was a Harris Teeter, and Walgreens bought out the lease from the landlord, forcing Harris Teeter to close.

Another WalMart on Route 1? Good grief...that's not necessary. There's one in Kingstowne and the one already on Route 1, but I guess it's going to be the closest WalMart to DC -- not unlike the Target at Potomac Yards.

The grocery options are rather limited in South Alexandria/Mount Vernon, since it's a schlep to Old Town for Trader Joe's and Balducci's, or Duke Street for a Whole Foods from South Alexandria and Mount Vernon. The Fort Hunt Safeway is also so small, from another time, though it has been renovated, but it's Safeway, Giant, or Shoppers in the immediate area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'd bet that the new WalMart is intended to replace the old store...that's how they do things.

I drag my banjo down to Southwest VA occasionally (to show them local boys how it's done!) and in this one town, Wally built a brand new Superstore right across the street from an older store. When the new store opened, the old one closed immediately. Pretty smart, if you ask me, they don't miss a single sale during the construction!
You're showing the boys on the Crooked Road how it's done?! Have you ever played with Wayne Henderson? That man knows his way around a guitar. I LOVE the music down the Crooked Road.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 PM

323 posts, read 508,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
oh BS, those people don't shop at walmart because they have a high and mighty attitude and don't want to mingle with the dirty masses
Moderator cut: image removed

I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

Last edited by Marka; 01-10-2014 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia