Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,943 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family is considering moving to South Riding or Ashburn and I was wondering about my possible commute times and the difference between the 2.

I'd plan on taking the Dulles Toll Road to the Beltway to 270 to get to work.

I know there are 3 or so exits to the Toll Road in Ashburn, but it looks like there's really only one way to get to the Toll Road from South Riding - Old Ox Rd, which appears on google maps to be red (meaning heavy traffic) pretty often. Just wondering how much extra time that adds going that way to the Toll Road.

Also, is there any word on when the Loudoun County Pkwy will be finished from Rte 50 to Ashburn?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,977 times
Terrible commute. I used to do it...I live in Ashburn. It would take me an hour and a half to get to Bethesda. Never again, lol! Good luck!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Terrible commute. I used to do it...I live in Ashburn. It would take me an hour and a half to get to Bethesda. Never again, lol! Good luck!
That must be at peak rush hour. I have some flexibility on when I can come into the office, so i usually leave between 8:30 and 9:00 (currently from Springfield). I would hope that would help keep the communte under an hour...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 AM

16 posts, read 54,286 times
I can't speak for the full duration of the commute, but to get to the toll road Ashburn will be the better bet. If you can afford to splurge on the Greenway (aka Greedway) then you'll be able to zip right to the toll road in just a few minutes from nearly anywhere in Ashburn. In South Riding you're mostly stuck with taking Route 50 to get anywhere, which can be a total nightmare. The wait just to get on 50 West in the evenings from 28 South is horrendous. Don't get me wrong, Ashburn traffic isn't fantastic during rush hour, but it's the far better of the two. It doesn't seem like there are many plans to improve things along 50 either, whereas roads are constantly being built in Ashburn to try support some of the new development and eventually metro will come through (in about 6 years) to alleviate some of the pain.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk32 View Post
Also, is there any word on when the Loudoun County Pkwy will be finished from Rte 50 to Ashburn?
The last I'd heard was 2011. Toll Brothers is on the hook to finish it up. I don't know if that's still the target, since it depends on their new construction in Loudoun Valley Estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia