Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM

29 posts, read 36,476 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I have a one or two year job assignment coming up close to Valparaso. I would like to find upscale ~rental~ housing arrangements since I don't expect to be in Indiana permanently. Nice House or apartment seems ideal to our situation. Anyone out there familiar with this type of housing market in NW Indiana? We are a dual income family who enjoys lots of variety: movies, theatres, cute local eateries, shopping, etc. - we don't have kids just one small dog.

Additionally, could you recommend any reliable web sites that will give me some good detailed information about rentals and life style options there in the Valaparso area? We are moving from the West Coast and so far, have spent about 2 hours in Northwest Indiana.

Any info, guidance, caveats from the locals will certainly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Hi merclo,

I grew up in Valparaiso (locals call it "Valpo"), and will be heading back to the area in the near future to be closer to family.

You'll be happy to know that Valpo has a really awesome, very walkable, very clean downtown. I daresay it's probably the best in Northwest Indiana. There are a ton of locally-owned restaurants ranging from cute little cafes to more upscale/fine dining and everything in between.

As far as theatres and similar entertainment go, there's the Chicago Street Theatre. There's also the Memorial Opera House. For movies there is Cinemark.

There are many parks, biking/walking trails, etc.

Valpo is about an hour's drive from Chicago, which makes for an easy weekend destination or day trip. The Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is a big draw for people in the entire region, and it's about 15 minutes north of Valpo.

As far as housing, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a rental, depending on your budget. The more "upscale" subdivisions tend to be in north, south, and west of the the central area (Aberdeen, Sylvan Manor, Manchester Meadows, Walden Woods). But really you'll find nice houses and condos everywhere in the city. There is also Shorewood Forest and Lake of the Four Seasons but they are a bit further out and more in between Valpo and Crown Point.

It can be sort of difficult finding housing online (definitely not as easy as it is out here in California) but craigslist does yield a few results that match what you are describing. Honestly though, your best option might be to drive around the area. Not sure how feasible that is though...

Valpo has grown quite a bit since I was a kid. It's definitely more suburban than it was, but still has a quaint, small-town sort of feel to it. The one negative is that there is no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in the area. You have to go to Chicago or the IL burbs for that. IMO the area is long overdue for at least one of them. Anyway, hope this info was helpful.

Last edited by Bluefox; 04-04-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 02:53 PM

26 posts, read 41,074 times
Default Still interested?

Is the move to NWI still in your future or have you taken the plunge?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 PM

29 posts, read 36,476 times
Yup - took the plunge and actually purchased a home in a sub division called Aberdeen...moved in last summer. Living here has been an adjustment for sure but one thing we truly love is how friendly and just plain decent every one is.

Come Spring I just need to find a convenient farmers market (in addition to the one in Chesterton)

Thanks to all who gave such great info to my earlier inquiries. I used your input to navigate after we moved in.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:45 AM

26 posts, read 41,074 times
Default Good on you!

Downtown Valpo will have a fairly decent market on tuesdays and Saturdays during the late spring thru summer.

Blueberry picking in Wanatah is fun and freezer-filling.

Aberdeen is a very nice subdivision for every age and family size. I have several clients and friends who live there. Anything else you are looking for I may be able to help. You see, I work in a salon! Everything comes through at one time or another.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana