Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
Gary is the second most liberal city in the U.S.; with Detroit Michigan coming in at number one. Kinda tells its own story.
Is that why everyone hates Chicago so much too? I'm sure it ends up somewhere in the top 10 of liberal cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,645 times
it's definitely up there as one of the most liberal... it's definitely got its fair sharw of problems, but overall as a city it's no Gary or Detroit, and that was my point

Old 04-09-2011, 01:26 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,324 times
Interesting posts since I last visited this thread a while back!

Has anyone been following the NWI Times series on Youngstown and its comparisons with Gary, or the Metropolitan Planning Council's recent efforts?

Here are some bits of news from the city:

Northwest Indiana to reinvest in Gary, urban core — Metropolitan Planning Council
Gary and Region Investment Project — Metropolitan Planning Council

/ News / Special-section / Rust-belt-resurgence / Youngstown - nwitimes.com
Census: Gary's loss turns Hammond into region's most populous city

Bill Nangle: Diversity is the strength of Northwest Indiana
Marquette Park design earns award

Old 04-09-2011, 02:40 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times
I am trying to figure out how someone that says he grew up in Chicago has no idea how bad Gary is. Unless perhaps he grew up in Englewood or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQBound84 View Post
I am a single male that just got out of a relationship. I grew up in Chicago and miss the charm of middle America and the Midwest. Rent in Chicago is a little to high for my budget and Cincy is right down my alley when it comes to afford ability. Is Cincy a pretty decent city and would I be making a good decision to move here? Is their a decent singles scene here, (since I just got out of a relationship?). P.S. How is the job market?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/5758466-post1.html

Old 05-24-2011, 04:38 PM

196 posts, read 658,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
All those LA murders were spread out over a HUGE land area.People in northern LA County are not affected by what happens in Compton or the Valley. Its completely different worlds. Gary is small. When crime happens in Gary it is more likely to affect more people. Gary today may not be as bad as it was 10 years ago. But if a place has shi**y government, shi**y schools and a shi**y reputation, then its probably a shi**y place to visit. I dont know about you but I know when I step in a pile of sh*t and I dont like doing it!
Most of L.A.'s murders happened in South Central, Compton, and Watts.

They're NOT spread over a large area.

They happened in the same cluttered area in South L.A.

And I agree with you, the government, schools, and reputation does stink, but that doesn't justify you slandering and making up things about a city you don't live in.

Gary has a lot of problems. Random violence against innocent people is not one of them.

Most of Gary's violence is residual violence from Chicago's gangs and Chicago's drugs. People dump bodies in Gary all of the time. People from Chicago regularly come here and rake up trouble all of the time. It's not even people who live here a lot of the time.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:12 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post

And I agree with you, the government, schools, and reputation does stink, but that doesn't justify you slandering and making up things about a city you don't live in.

Gary has a lot of problems. Random violence against innocent people is not one of them.

Most of Gary's violence is residual violence from Chicago's gangs and Chicago's drugs. People dump bodies in Gary all of the time. People from Chicago regularly come here and rake up trouble all of the time. It's not even people who live here a lot of the time.
No, most of the time IT IS people from Gary. SOME of the time it is people from (as in they still reside in) Chicago.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:

sure, keep believing that

Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Quote:

You are right bubba. I've never spent even 1 minute in Gary. So what do I know?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:58 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Most of Gary sucks and is NOT safe. I grew up in Gary (Capt. Dan and I were neighbors) and I presently work in Gary. Much of the city is ugly, blighted and dangerous. There is a handful of bright spots, and some good people trying to turn things around, but politicians have wasted countless millions lining their pockets (and their family members' pockets) instead of using the money wisely for the city's benefit. I don't see the city ever making a big comeback, although perhaps there's a glimmer of hope in the new city administration.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 PM

196 posts, read 658,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
No, most of the time IT IS people from Gary. SOME of the time it is people from (as in they still reside in) Chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
sure, keep believing that
How would you know?

IF you truly lived in Gary, which I have my doubts at this point, then you'd see that a good half of the cars driving around Gary have ILLINOIS license plates.

Half of my neighbors are from Chicago and I've lived here most of my life. Most of the people I grew up with who are from Gary moved out a LONG time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
You are right bubba. I've never spent even 1 minute in Gary. So what do I know?
Do you live in Gary TODAY?

When is the last time you lived in Gary?

I'm typing this as we speak IN Gary.

In a few minutes I'm going to Walgreens IN Gary.

I'm gonna ride around the beach later on IN Gary.

I'm not pulling stuff out of my ass based on what Gary was like 30 years ago or what I've heard from people I know. I live here, work here, and play here and have for most of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana