Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 34,286 times

Advertisements

Moving from Seattle WA, to Munster IN

We are moving in less then 4 weeks! We just got notice 2 days ago.

We are trying to plan the trip. So far we have rented a moving truck with tow package for our car.

The problem we are having is how often to stop and get a hotel. We were thinking to map quet out 10 hours and stop there for the night. Should we reserve the hotels in advance?

We are also traveling with our two babies (4 year old cats) and worried about how they will handle the trip. We plan to keep them in the cab of the truck with us in a kennel. Can they wait 10 hours to use the bathroom?

Also we have already set up a g-sale since we had been anticipating this move for quite some time. How soon should we start really packing things like the kitchen etc…

Any help would be really appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
When cats are stressed out, the one thing they do is hold it forEVER!!!!!

I'm hoping you have a place to go once you get to Munster???

Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I would strongly recommend you make reservations in advance for hotels that permit pets--especially cats.

Yes, four weeks left, it's time to start packing. Start with the things you rarely use like artwork/photos, etc. The last time we moved I took at least four weeks to pack because of the interruptions of day to day life. Of course I tend to over do it on bubble wrap, etc.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 34,286 times
[SIZE=3]I’m really starting to 2nd guess my move to IN. I have always been told that the people in that area are really nice. But it looks like instead it’s full of really bitter people. I hope someone can prove me wrong...[/SIZE]

Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,566 times
Default move to Indiana

sorry you have been given the wrong opinion of Indiana people. I moved here about 16 years ago and have found that the people here are very helpful. They have opinions but what is great is they listen to yours. Good luck with moving your babies. I have 5. They will hold themselves but please make sure they are secure in their kennels when you leave. If they get out of the vehicle they will bolt and it will be very hard to find them. You will enjoy the weather, we have sun! Have a safe trip!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 PM

17,364 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2Chicago View Post
[SIZE=3]I’m really starting to 2nd guess my move to IN. I have always been told that the people in that area are really nice. But it looks like instead it’s full of really bitter people. I hope someone can prove me wrong...[/SIZE]
Alrighty.

Here's the deal - no one is bitter.

BUT ... your superior attitude will not get you a warm welcome in NWI.

And I know, you're going to say, "I don't have a superior attitude!" but you do. It's there - it's not only what you said but how you said it.

Here's another example ... you just said "I hope someone can prove me wrong ..."

But ... we don't have to prove anything to you.

Last edited by Chuckity; 07-30-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Put a small litterbox in the carrier. It is cruel and unusual to expect anyone to wait 10 hours to hit the head.

One of our cats gets very nervous when first put into a vehicle. First thing she neds to do is go, 1 or 2.

Then she's fine, she is very interested in traveling.
Second cat just gets into the rhythm of the road and sleeps most of the time.

Good luck.
Anything negative you hear about Indiana folk is probably rumormongering by Seattleites whose political outlook disallows any disagreement.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 AM

S2C ... look, we hoosiers are friendly. We are helpful, AND, we also like living here. Let me scenario it out for you.

You will find a nice walking partner and one day, they will suggest you HIKE at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. You will say exactly what you said here ... there aren't any mountains here, how can you hike? See, it's like saying "why buy a mountain bike in Indiana, there aren't any mountains" (borrowing from a friend!). Am I making an impact here?

You came here with good and honest questions, which we answered nicely, but then you dismissed us immediately when people here (I used to live in NW Indiana, Chuckity currently does and rrah grew up there and plaidmom relocated to Indiana after living in several places around the country), we tried, some nicer than others, to tell you that yes, Indiana doesn't have mountains, but we still have hiking. You can minutiae it all you want, but you did come at us with an air of superiority because "you are from Seattle". That, S2C, does not play well in this state. Indiana is a get what you give place. We are as friendly as you are, but we don't suffer dismissive people. Lord knows I know that! I've been trying to get these Koltz fans off my back for YEARS!!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 AM

211 posts, read 947,423 times
Another definition for hike: a long walk usually for exercise or pleasure, walk a long way, as for pleasure or physical exercise

Doesn't say anything about mountains. The Dunes have alot of paths and trails you can hike on and I'm sure you'll meet people. I moved to Indiana last Sept from Chicago and find people very friendly for the most part.

You can go on this site and get some free information for things to do in Indiana. I ordered the brochures and they came pretty quickly.
IN.gov: Tourism & Transportation (http://www.in.gov/core/tourism.htm - broken link)

Good luck with your quick move and welcome to Indiana.

Last edited by cd771; 07-31-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 AM

And Shadowcaver is an avid outdoorsperson ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana