Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 AM

9 posts, read 19,240 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving to Oahu this summer and I would like to compile a list of excellent reads on Hawaii or the Pacific Islands. I have already read "So, you want to live in Hawaii" for the basics, but I am now really not looking for travel or living in Hawaii guides. Rather, I am interested in literature that is enjoyable to read, but also will give me a good understanding of the islands.

I am starting with "Hawaii" by James Michener, and maybe will follow that with "Tales from the South Pacific" - his Pulitzer Prize winning work.
I also recently read J. Marteen Troost's 2 books on living in Vanuatu, Kiribati, and Fiji called "Getting Stoned with Savages" and "Sex Lives of Cannibals" - both were very funny. I didn't learn much about Hawaii from them, but I got an interesting perspective about living in those areas of the South Pacific.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinky View Post
Here are a few:

Non-fiction
1. "Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen" by Lili'uokalani
2. "Native Land and Foreign Desires" by Lilikala Kame'elehiwa
3. "The Shoal of Time" by Gavan Daws
4. "Broken Trust" by Samuel P. King and Randall W. Roth
5. "Ben: A Memoir, from Street Kid to Governor" by Benjamin J. Cayetano
6. "West of Then" by Tara Bray Smith

Fiction
1. "The House of Many Gods" by Kiana Davenport
2. "Mililani Mauka" by Chris McKinney
3. "Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers" by Lois-Ann Yamanaka
4. "The Descendants" by Kaui Hart Hemmings
5. "Honolulu" by Alan Brennert
6. "Bird of Another Heaven" by James D. Houston

Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 19,240 times
Thanks very much!!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
Default Me, Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinky View Post
. . . I also recently read J. Marteen Troost's 2 books on living in Vanuatu, Kiribati, and Fiji called "Getting Stoned with Savages" and "Sex Lives of Cannibals" - both were very funny. I didn't learn much about Hawaii from them, but I got an interesting perspective about living in those areas of the South Pacific.

I recently read Troost's "Sex Lives of Cannibals" and "Lost on Planet China." While the latter has nothing to do with the Pacific, there were tidbits in the former that were very informative and familiar, probably more for areas of the neighbor isles than for Oahu.

I enjoyed Alan Brennart's "Moloka'i" for its turn-of-the-century imagined pictures of Honolulu and for its sympathetic fictional take on life at Kalauapapa. For nonfiction, I enjoyed Nathaniel Philbrick's "Sea of Glory," which only briefly mentions Hawai'i, but captures the spirit of adventure and exploration in the Pacific. And, to some extent, Mark Twain's "Following the Equator," which -- despite its blunt and outdated racial and social generalizations -- offers typical Twain-like insights (although he wasn't allowed to come ashore on Oahu on this particular sojourn).

I second "Jonah K's" lists for more specific Hawai'i reading.

Best of luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
"Culture Shock: Hawaii" by Brent Massey. I recommend it to anyone planning on moving or visiting Hawaii.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM

129 posts, read 535,560 times
I just finished "The Last Aloha" by Gaellen Quinn, and though it was terribly written, it had an interesting take on the overthrow of the Hawai'ian monarchy.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 PM

84 posts, read 152,369 times
Oh my gosh, I must say the first book by Kiana Davenport, "Shark Dialogues" is by far the best of her three books. Though I've reread them all. It has the most information woven into the story. Just a great read. "House of Many Gods" was really good too, but took place in Russia as well as Hawaii, so not as intensive in Hawaiian stuff. Also, anything by Lois-Ann Yamanaka (youth and adult books) is terrific. Especially if you want to get pidgin experience. Lots of luck to you with your move.

I've read most of what has been listed and way, way more. If you want a really long list, PM me. So much good stuff!!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
I read Ronald Wright's book On Fiji Islands after having made a visit there for five weeks. It was a very interesting read, mixing history, culture, travel, personal reflection and so forth into his narrative. He is a very good writer.

READ Magazine - RONALD WRIGHT (http://www.randomhouse.ca/readmag/page38.htm - broken link)

Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 14,654 times
Great list jonah K!

Btw, and meandering along in this literary groove, many folks looking at Hawai'i from afar view the S Pacific and Hawai'i as one, not so. Hawai'i is in the N Pacific and the S Pacific (Tokelau, Vanuatu, Fiji etc) lies below the equator. This misunderstanding arose partly through the writings of RL Stevenson, Jack London, Mark Twain et al. It was further idealised through the works of the Post Impressionist artists including Gauguin. Combined their work portrayed an "exoticness", an allure that unfortunately lumped together all the islands into a generic whole. Abetted later by the formulaic work of Michener and incidently the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein this misunderstanding lingers to this day.

It's only small change but for buffs of this oeuvre an intersting point. I might also add I'm a Maori from the real 'deep S Pacific'

Here's my addition to jonah k's list: Pass On, No pass Back: By Daryl Lum, a collection a local short stories that capture the flavor of growing up in Hawai'i in the 60's & 70's. One of the best that will get you grounded in Hawai'i and attuned to pidgin esp if you also get the tape that goes with it!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 PM

15 posts, read 84,794 times
Thanks so much to everyone who responded, and especially to moananui for your helpful and very insightful comments. I would be curious to know if you (moananui) went to school/grew up in Hawaii or elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: