Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,074,129 times

Advertisements

We should all have such problems. huh?

I've never taken even a two week vacation in my life. But my wife is doing a medical rotation so I decided to join her. We will be staying in a condo by Pearl Harbor but the vast majority of the time (sometimes days at a time) I'll be on my own.

Used to be that when I would go to a city I'd just hook up with locals (most of the time a girl) and get to do things with a native. But 'used to be' was when I was single and younger. It's not that I don't want to do the same thing, but a 50 year old picking up a twenty something girl is a little awkward (and creepy).

It's been strongly suggested that I leave my good friend and buddy (my dog) at home. So I'll be solo

I'll be 50 in a month, but in the mirror I still see a kid and act like a kid. I want to surf, sail, scuba, bike, hike, play volleyball on the beach and sit out all night and drink a beer and watch the stars.

Meetup.com is an idea, can anyone suggest others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:56 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,196 times
Why not volunteer for the beach clean up located around Nanakuli? Or the soup kitchen in China Town?
Or, if you're really bummed about not being able to pick up 20 yrs old chicks anymore, you could get some botox and hairplugs.
That will take your mind off you, your 50 year old azz and your dog.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 AM

53 posts, read 197,579 times
I could offer ideas in terms of places to go, but it seems like you are seeking someone to accompany you instead. Is your wife going to be okay about potential strangers taking you around?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,118 times
OP: Mind clarifying exactly what your intentions are? You will have no shortage of really outstanding things to do and experience on Oahu. But if one of them is to cheat on your wife, this is definitely not the forum to get that kind of advice.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,074,129 times
Cheating on my wife actualy never entered my mind.
I meant hang out with a fun group of people who are active and like to do things.
Maybe everyone there is active. That's not the way it is in the midwest. Especially in Ohio. I have no interest in shopping, watching sports, scrapbooking, playing video gamew or talking about the children.
Beach cleanup sounds good and a nice way to meet natives.

I didn't realize meetup.com was a pick up event out there.
So really, how do I meet fun people who are active and available during working hours?
It may sound silly to ask to ask but I don't know how to meetup with people who do stuff. I meant to be explaining that the old methods I used to use when not married would not be appropriate now.

Sorry to give the wrong meaning, I did not realize it would be read that way
(yeah, ok, now that you mention it, it does resemble a match dot com ad)
Dthraco, thanks for the benefit of the doubt.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:53 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,118 times
No worries.

I don't know of specific places to meet people, but I can give you some ideas of fun stuff to do.

I have no doubt you will easily achieve your goals: "I want to surf, sail, scuba, bike, hike, play volleyball on the beach and sit out all night and drink a beer and watch the stars."

Waikiki is alive with tons of people...great for people watching. The surfing is very fun with super long mellow rides. I was shocked the first time I surfed there.."I'm still riding this wave?" Board rentals (real fiberglass boards) are inexpensive.

If you like body surfing, Sandy's can't be beat. Just be VERY aware that you ride at an angle not straight..lots of people break their necks there. (I had a close call)

If you like swap meets there's one every weekend at the Stadium.

Diamond Head has quite the reward for such an easy hike.

Honauma (sp?) bay, while tourist focused, is still pretty fun for snorkeling.

Waiamea Bay...excellent boogie boarding.

My wife and I did the submarine ride outside of Waikiki, was very fun.

One thing you might do is to pick up a copy of Oahu Revealed. TONS of excellent info in that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu