Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 68,611 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am a 27 y.o. white female from NYC and am moving to Oahu by March if all goes according to plan. I bartend in Manhattan and am used to very crazy party scene. Is Waikiki and Honolulu similar? I've been to both on vacation but only for a week so I didnt really get much time to feel things out. Plus, we were too busy doing day-time activities like surfing and snorkeling to spend a lot of time experiencing the nightlife.

Would it be fairly easy to get a job bartending at a resort or a nightclub? I have years of experience and I am very friendly and not pretentious. Just like to have an all-around good time and show others a good time as well. Any advice? It would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little concerned because my boyfriend already has a good job lined up but I have to start fresh when I get there. Plus, I don't know if bars and clubs prefer natives rather than mainlanders behind the bar.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 12:16 PM

34 posts, read 135,529 times
you should check out craigslist to see what's available. there usually isn't too many bartending jobs posted and if they are, they go quickly. there's a few nightclubs but definitely not like NYC. i was looking for a p/t bartending job as well and haven't had much luck, although i haven't been trying super hard. your best bet would probably be to approach the places you'd like to work and see what they have going on. tourism is down quite a bit so the restaurants/clubs aren't really hiring much but you never know. you could also try cocktailing/bar backing just to get your foot in the door?

good luck in your search

Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Waikiki and Honolulu have no nightlife if you are comparing them to NYC.

Finding a bartending job will probably be difficult because of the downturn in tourism. Waikiki has most of the nightlife on Oahu although there are a few other bartending jobs at restaurants, hotels and such. Still, you only need one job, go to the different bars and things and see what they say. If you are there talking directly to them, they will be much more likely to find a spot for you if they like you than by sending a resume.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 68,611 times
yeah, waikiki is most likely where i will be looking. i spoke to my waiter at Lulus when I visited last month and he told me that its really hard to start out as a bartender most places will be more willing to hire as a host but then you work your way up fairly quickly. i'm not opposed to waitressing as i've done that before, but i'll miss being behind the bar...

well, in a few months i'll do the rounds and canvas craigslist as well and if i get lucky at a nice spot, i invite everyone to come drink.

amanda

Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 21,140 times
I love Waikiki much better than NY you get around much easier and anything goes and all u need is perseverance to work try cocktailing at first and definatly join the union.then come see me Markymark

Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 21,140 times
i was at hecock's
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaiasillo View Post
yeah, waikiki is most likely where i will be looking. i spoke to my waiter at Lulus when I visited last month and he told me that its really hard to start out as a bartender most places will be more willing to hire as a host but then you work your way up fairly quickly. i'm not opposed to waitressing as i've done that before, but i'll miss being behind the bar...

well, in a few months i'll do the rounds and canvas craigslist as well and if i get lucky at a nice spot, i invite everyone to come drink.

amanda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu