Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 33,293 times

Advertisements

I'm now living in Oahu and I'm originally from Phoenix. We had several Costco's in the Metropolitan Phoenix area. Every Costco had a jewelry section, but by far, the best jewelry section was at the Scottsdale, Frank Lloyd Wright location. We saw a 1-carat solitaire platinum setting, est. $4,999.00, brilliance cut. This was last month, we should have just bought it! But we're now in Hawaii.

So, my question is- of the 5 Hawaii locations, which does everyone think would have the best selection for an engagement ring? Or what does everyone think of the jewelry selection of each location?

1. Waipio (Oahu), 94-1231 Ka Uka Blvd, Waipahu (Oahu) HI 96797
2. Kapolei (Oahu), 4589 Kapolei Parkway, Kapolei (Oahu) HI 96707
3. Iwilei (Oahu), 525 Alakawa Street, Iwilei (Oahu) HI 96817
4. Hawaii Kai (Oahu), 333A Keahole Street, Honolulu (Oahu) HI 96825
5. Kauai - 4300 Nuhou St, Lihue HI 96766

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
You know, this may be the most unromantic post I've read in forever.

Lots of couples today are skipping the seriously outdated ritual of tying up money forever in a diamond ring and putting the money instead in a house fund.

But if you're committed to doing things the same way your parents did, why not check out some of the very fine jewelers that Oahu is known for? If you shop carefully, you should be able to match the Costco deal, and have a much better memory than that you bought a troth of your love at a discount store.

Personally I'd go for the house fund. I think diamond engagement rings are a silly cliche driven by a very effective marketing campaign by DeBeers.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 PM

119 posts, read 376,983 times
Diamond/jewelry doesn't hold its value, you can go to pawn shop and get a one carat diamond ring for the fraction of the price and then custom order the setting. My friend got an authentic Tiffany ring with certificate, one carat princess cut for $3k (the last time I check it runs more than 10k at Tiffany Co.). He spent another 1k for the setting because there were visible scratches and he also wants it to be customized for his bride with pink baguettes. Nevertheless the diamond itself is near perfect (clarity, color, cut), that you won't get anything like that under 6-7k even at 'discount' jewelry stores.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
I'll tell you what we did... we wanted to put most of the bucks into the house fund, but still wanted her to have a ring she would treasure. So we went to a very talented designer, and had a custom gold ring made that was far more personal and meaningful than some stock design. And she picked out a semi-precious stone she loved... a stunning black opal. In the end we spent maybe 20% of what a traditional diamond solitaire set would have cost, and she got a ring that not only was incredibly special to her, but that was a gorgeous ring that everyone noticed and asked about.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
We had a family heirloom ring resized to fit but since I don't want to damage or lose the stone, for everyday wear I have a carved Hawaiian gold band. It wasn't very expensive for either the gold band or the ring resizing. Spending a lot of money to get married can make your first few years much more difficult (paying back what you owe) than they need to be.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 PM

117 posts, read 545,488 times
of the four on oahu,i'd say iwilei

Old 01-08-2011, 02:55 PM

53 posts, read 135,649 times
This so amused me.. the first time I went to a Costco was with my MIL, she shops there all the time but we just had one open here. She always visits the jewelery section and there were so many huge diamond rings, one for 54,000. All I could think was, who would buy an engagement ring in Costco, so tacky. But hey, maybe if you are into spending that much and there is a serious savings there..

Make sure you educate yourself on diamond clarity etc.. and ask the right questions. A lot of the big ones at cheaper prices are very cloudy, not that you can see that under the super bright lights as easily as you will when it is on your finger.

And yes your ring will be worth very little once you buy it. Don't be fooled into thinking this is an investment!

If it was me I would check out individual stores, there are many jewelers who love their craft and you will be buying something more personal that way. Also possibly helping out a small business.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM

18,407 posts, read 19,036,217 times
I would not marry a man that bought me a ring from the same store you can get a 20 pound jar of mayo at if he did take that puppy out of the cost co box and never ever admit to it. set a budget, then as someone suggested go to some jewelery stores or a custom degin jeweler and get something with a little thought behind it other than a bargin...oh and pick me up a case of TP please

Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 33,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivorqt View Post
of the four on oahu,i'd say iwilei
Thanks, we'll look into it.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would not marry a man that bought me a ring from the same store you can get a 20 pound jar of mayo at if he did take that puppy out of the cost co box and never ever admit to it. set a budget, then as someone suggested go to some jewelery stores or a custom degin jeweler and get something with a little thought behind it other than a bargin...oh and pick me up a case of TP please
Well, I wouldn't (didn't) marry a man who would get me a ring at all... big fat waste of money, and I'm not a jewelry kind of chick. And I think anyone who cares where the ring comes from rather than the emotion behind it is kind of a shallow jerk.

But both of those facts are pretty irrelevant to the post at hand, no? I don't think the OP is proposing to you or to me, and his question was about which store had the better jewelry department. Your judgment isn't really relevant.

So, in answer to the OP: I second the vote for Iwilei, at least based on the two I've visited (that one and Hawaii Kai). But I'll also say the island is small enough to do quick trips to all of them to shop around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu