Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM

80 posts, read 956,678 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have planned to attend the University of Hawaii West Oahu campus in Pearl City. I've been looking on Craigslist at places to live and have found several places but don't know what would be the better choice. I'm currently looking at these areas: Mililani, Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, Waikiki, Moilili, Makiki, Aiea, Salt Lake, and Pearlridge. I've noticed a lot of affordable places in Makaha but I feel the commute to Pearl City would be too long, any thoughts? I'm a single young female so I would like to be somewhere safe, close to the beach, dining, shopping, and of course not too far from campus. Also a area with some employment opportunities is a plus. An area with a young crowd to make friends is a plus too. I live on the mainland but lived in Ewa several years ago. If anyone knows any info and has suggestions about the places I've mentioned it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Also, does anyone know anything about the Kamaka properties? Is it in a safe area? Here's the link, http://kamakaproperties.com/

Last edited by ck2007; 05-31-2011 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,305 times
I expect you are brining a car? Of those places you listed, I would say Pearlridge area or Aiea and Salt Lake to be the closest. All are pretty safe areas and have affordable places to rent. Makaha has great beaches, but the commute would be rough.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,560 times
I live in Makaha, and agree with jolie, depending on the time of day the drive can be torture. If your commute time does not fall into the daily rush hour drive it is not too bad though.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,211,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I expect you are brining a car? Of those places you listed, I would say Pearlridge area or Aiea and Salt Lake to be the closest. All are pretty safe areas and have affordable places to rent. Makaha has great beaches, but the commute would be rough.
Aiea is a nice place. Used to live on the 40th floor of a high rise overlooking Pearl Harbor, Arizona Monument etc.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 35,023 times
Makaha to Pearl City is a LONG drive in stop and go traffic.

Aiea/Pearl City would probably suit your needs. (Close to the campus and Pearl Kai, Pealr Ridge, Pearl Highlands)

Mililani/Waipio Valley/Wahiawa is also nice... about 8-10 miles to the college... and the north shore (Haleiwa about 12 miles from that for beach and surf.) Wahiawa is currently plagued with homeless...

Old 06-04-2011, 04:29 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,986 times
Aiea is a nice place, and IMO, pretty safe. Pearl Ridge mall is there, too. Bus Stops are readily available as well, if you have to utilize The Bus while waiting for your vehicle to ship over.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:54 PM

80 posts, read 956,678 times
Thank you everyone for the responses. I think I will stick to the Aiea area and look at living there. If anyone has any suggestions on some nice apartments or condos that would be great too thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu