Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 16,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
In Hawai'i, who one knows is more important than what one knows. There are thousands of unemployed and underemployed college graduates in Hawai'i with strong local ties that you will be competing against. Ironically, within Hawai'i business circles, a high school diploma from 'Iolani or Punahou can be more valuable than an MBA from Harvard or Stanford; however, as a malihini (newcomer) lacking both a Hawai'i high school diploma or a degree from any college or university, you will be at a distinct disadvantage. In addition, despite your extensive insurance industry knowledge and confidence, you don't that much about Hawai'i yet and will undoubtedly make mistakes on the path to success. You've already made gaffes in this thread, such as "Souther side of Oahu" and "Maloha." Whether you learn, adapt, and succeed quickly or slowly depends on you and the people that you come in contact with.

If you don't want to know about the potential negatives of your plan, that's fine. I won't tell you how lolo (crazy, stupid, dumb, etc.) it is to bring 30 shirts from Pennsylvania when most of the local businessmen in Hawai'i wear aloha shirts by Kahala and Reyn Spooner.

T-Shirts
haha well those 30 shirts are just t-shirt to wear to the gym/relax/play in..
I'm going to slim that down to my favorite and lightest ones
I don't have any Aloha shirt because well.. i live in Pennsylvania. I'll pick those up down there so they're the "right kind"
Those Reyn Spooner shirts are NICE!!! Thanks for the tip on those!!

"Dress Shirts"
I only have 3 solid color polos that i would be able to wear down there, due to the material, Clothes in Pennsylvania tend to be made "heavier" because of our weather.
I actually don't wear ties, i dress VERY business casual to keep my appointments/meetings in a very.. relaxed atmosphere/mood.

Pants
I'm bringing 6 pairs of my nice jeans and 3 pairs of dress pants

Shoes
I'm bringing 2 pairs of leather dress shoes (i know leather gets eaten alive but that's all i have), 2 pairs of athletic shoes and that's it.

So i gathered that i should go through ALL of my clothes and pick the 100% cotton and the lightest material ones.. Got'cha

I don't play on letting my clothes sit for a month, i just like having variety to pick from. Question though, is it true if you have a lot of clothes and they sit around they will mil-dew?

I learn from everything i do.. Such as I learned that it's Mahalo, not Maloha , leeward/windward.. I am VERY open to learning new cultures, ways to do things and vocabulary. Another reason i chose Hawaii is because i WANT to learn new things and broaden myself, i like learning new things

Thanks again guys, keep the tips coming!!

MAHALO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike13779 View Post
...30 shirts are just t-shirt to wear to the gym/relax/play in...
Honestly, I only have about 10 t-shirts. I rotate about 5 of them. That part really depends on your preference. Seems like a large quantity of shirts to bring, but you might be a bit more fashion savvy than this member.

Quote:
I only have 3 solid color polos that i would be able to wear down there, due to the material, Clothes in Pennsylvania tend to be made "heavier" because of our weather.
I actually don't wear ties, i dress VERY business casual to keep my appointments/meetings in a very.. relaxed atmosphere/mood.
Wear what you want. If you are used to dressing business casual, that works here too. You can always build up your aloha attire over time. Drop the long sleeve shirts, but you might bring a solid week or two worth of shirts for work.

Quote:
I'm bringing 6 pairs of my nice jeans and 3 pairs of dress pants
I have 2 pair of jeans. I have only worn them when I go back to the mainland. Everything else is dress pants for work, or shorts.

Quote:
I'm bringing 2 pairs of leather dress shoes (i know leather gets eaten alive but that's all i have), 2 pairs of athletic shoes and that's it.
Don't sweat the leather comments. My dress shoes are leather and do just fine. You will likely pick up a couple sets of slippers (sandals) once you are here. Tons to chose from, and most reasonably priced.

Quote:
Question though, is it true if you have a lot of clothes and they sit around they will mil-dew?
If they are damp, yup. Just like more humid climates, things tend to go bad sooner.

I keep an extra curtain hanger in the tub for board shorts / rash guard, etc. Works great till I wear them the 5th time...then they definitely need a wash.

Quote:
I'm in the process of looking up a cheap hotel to stay at while I'm running around to find an apartment. I wont be there for anything else then to sleep, suggestions??
expedia.com has some great deals usually. If you can stay in Waikiki, you'll have quick access to the beach and buses. And, of course, the friday night fireworks.

Quote:
I am holding off on a moped until I get a feel for what I need, I'm getting a monthly bus pass in the meantime
Smart.

Quote:
Thanks for your input, i knew there had to be someone who wasn't a debbiedowner
Some folks on here are a bit bitter, but have valid points. The 3rd friend of mine just moved back to the mainland yesterday. He just couldn't secure work in his field. He tried for almost 2 years, but finally decided that he wanted to stay in his field. Another couple that my wife and I know are moving this coming summer. People come and go here all the time. The bottom line is that living here is for some people and not for others. If you can adapt, you can adapt. Sometimes folks are put into positions that force them to leave, like my buddy that moved away. None of the people I have known that moved here and left ever regretted doing it.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 PM

756 posts, read 714,349 times
Wow, making the move with only about seven grand in the bank

Not much room for error there, Spike

Good luck, nonetheless, tho...

Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 46,850 times
Quote:
If you're going to try and act like my parent, don't respond. I AM doing this, I AM going to be succesful. I have my plan laid out and it's just the waiting game until I leave
So you basically don't want to hear about any significant problems you might encounter, but only words of encouragement? I thought you were asking for advice?

Keep in mind, seeing that you would be a twenty year old transplant, you will likely get asked many of the very same questions posters are asking here in your interviews - how you plan on being able to stay out here and support yourself given that insurance agents start out making peanuts. An employer doesn't want to hire someone who they believe may not be sticking around for very long, obviously. You may also get asked about your transportation - keep in mind that the bus usually takes about three times as long to get to a destination (plus wait times) than driving a car - for selling insurance, this may not be an efficient means of getting around.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhwarrior10 View Post
So you basically don't want to hear about any potential problems you will probably encounter, but only words of encouragement? I thought you were asking for advice?
like many, I dont think Spike was seeking advice but rather had all the answers (most made up in own head), had all the plans (have no idea realty from fiction but had the plan), and is so confident (that confidence is failing them where they are so off to Hawaii they go) that advice is not what they are seeking. Spike is seeking VALIDATION of the plans. You see this clearly when the only post that gets a positive response is one that agrees with their vision/dreams. You can say that 99% of new transplant "confident" insurance salemen fail on hawaii and show all the verified proof, but they will latch onto that 1% that says a insurance saleman will make $500,000 in the first week.

We all know the outcome of this so lets just give it 6 months or so. At that time Spunk most likely will be seeking advice on how to return to the mainland on $7.39 or where is the best homeless shelter. We can offer all the reality checks in the world but if they refuse to open their eyes, they will be another failure just like the failure they are that makes them want to come to Hawaii with nothing but some lame dream.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 PM

748 posts, read 820,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
like many, I dont think Spike was seeking advice but rather had all the answers (most made up in own head), had all the plans (have no idea realty from fiction but had the plan), and is so confident (that confidence is failing them where they are so off to Hawaii they go) that advice is not what they are seeking. Spike is seeking VALIDATION of the plans. You see this clearly when the only post that gets a positive response is one that agrees with their vision/dreams. You can say that 99% of new transplant "confident" insurance salemen fail on hawaii and show all the verified proof, but they will latch onto that 1% that says a insurance saleman will make $500,000 in the first week.

We all know the outcome of this so lets just give it 6 months or so. At that time Spunk most likely will be seeking advice on how to return to the mainland on $7.39 or where is the best homeless shelter. We can offer all the reality checks in the world but if they refuse to open their eyes, they will be another failure just like the failure they are that makes them want to come to Hawaii with nothing but some lame dream.
You hit the nail on the head. I wonder if the OP has ever even been to Hawaii or just has some kind of distorted utopian surfer dude mecca image of it. One can't run away from their troubles...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I'm betting on time share sales or door to door vacuum sales. There's always room for another sales guy to work commission out there somewhere. Course, he'll have to share a room with someone to make ends meet, but he's only twenty or so and it's a good time to get out into the world. Honolulu is a fun place to learn to swim. Or thrash about, anyway.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm betting on time share sales or door to door vacuum sales. There's always room for another sales guy to work commission out there somewhere. Course, he'll have to share a room with someone to make ends meet, but he's only twenty or so and it's a good time to get out into the world. Honolulu is a fun place to learn to swim. Or thrash about, anyway.
At least he will have plenty of shirts.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,602 times
Go for it Spike!! I think you will do fine! I think you might want to try another avenue of sales. Like someone mentioned earlier, once you sell one thing...you can sell anything!

I'm also looking to move from the east coast to Denver or Oahu within 3-5 months. I have friends in both places just not sure which one makes better sense. I was a chef and restaurant manager for 15 years and now I'm a food manufacturer rep for 6 years.
If I choose Hawaii I think my best bet is the hotel industry as a food & beverage director or something like that. Any thoughts? I would love to be a chef or bartender on the beach. I wouldn't mind a career change either.
I learned a lot reading this! Thanks everyone!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 16,121 times
Back from the grave!
Moderator cut: no libel posts here please

I am on Oahu, I got here January 9th. I'll give you a run down of what has gone on and happened..
Living situation
Initially I had a room in a house in Kaneohe lined up but 2 days before I left i got screwed out of it... With knowing I'd have to be hustling right at the get go I only brough a backpack with enough clothes for 2 weeks, I pack VERY WELL
I had booked to stay at the Waikiki Surf House for 7 days while I looked for a place. On the 3rd night I saw and killed a bed bug before bed, I was creeped out but went right to sleep. The next morning I woke up with 3 bites... I immediately went Craigslist and got the first place I could in Kahala. Was there for a week then I got into the micromanaging psychotic landlord who lived in the residence.
The day I got into it with her I was kicked out on the spot and had nowhere to go.. I was about to sleep on the beach when one of the guys from that house offered to let me sleep in the back of his pickup. The next day a couple I met on Craigslist offered their couch to me for 2 weeks for $23 a night. It was safer and cleaner than a hostel so I jumped on it.
At the end of 2 weeks I found a room in my current house, which was on February 1st. It's a 4/1 house on 9th ave in Palolo, that has a HUGE kitchen, fully furnished and all utlities are included + internet and I pay $760
Only downside is the landlord live ddownstairs and doesn't like me. She literally evicted me for no reason, so my last day is April 12th
I looking for my own place east of the Pali, I would prefer Kaimuki, diamond head or Manoa; Waikiki is nasty.
Work
I had 2 interviews lined up upon arriving, one was at AIL (American Income Life) and Honolulu Fish (phone sales). I declined both positions and then declined 2 more State Farm positions and a position to run a food truck business.
The reason I held off is because wanted to find the perfect fit and good pay. I knew it would pay and well.... It did.
Last Wednesday I saw a posting on Craigslist for an insurance producer position at an Allstate agency. I responded and moments later had a response to call tomorrow about an interview. Did the phone interview then an in person and both went AMAZINGLY. I was offered the Position today and I start Monday with a pay of slightly less than $36,000 + benefits + commission

I have been exploring the entire island on my moped (yes I wrecked already )
All in all
Hawaii is fantstic, I have had ZERO racial issues and I have been all over the island. The people are so friendly and laid back it's ridiculous. For the first time in my life , I am a minority AND I LOVE IT! Moving here has opened my eyes to so much, being a only child in an all white community with well off parents I had never had any financial/struggles growing up and had everything... Living here, I am riding the bus, shopping at goodwill, living modestly.. I have learned so much already in this short time it is unreal. I am truely blessed for how things have unfolded and fell in to place

Hawaii gets a 10/10 from me

Oh and to those of you that doubted me, I told you I could and would do it

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-06-2012 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu