Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,837 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I will be moving to Oahu in early '09 after I return from a deployment. We think we will be stationed near Wheeler Air Base or Schofield. I've heard that traffic is terrible and I'd like to avoid that if possible. We'd also like to be away from the crowds and be able to pretend we're not in the Military when we're not at work so can anyone suggest places to start looking for a nice condo or apartment - not opposed to renting a house - we have two cats so it would need to be cat friendly... anyway thought I'd see what I could turn up here?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 PM

32 posts, read 169,845 times
Good luck avoiding traffic and crowds I'm also in the military and live on the opposite side of the island so I can enjoy civilian life while I'm off, far away from my base. Kaneohe and Kailua have beautiful scenery and has some nicer places to live. The commute might take you a while, but you'll be heading away from the traffic jams, so you'll be able to go the speed limit the entire time. I would suggest staying away from the west side of the island and central Mililani is too hot for my comfort (too far away from the cool ocean breezes). The only other idea is around touristy Hale'iwa - actually, look into some places just west of Hale'iwa around Waialua, I've seen some beautiful condos there.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 AM

160 posts, read 631,583 times
I agree - good luck avoiding the crowds. However, we are an AF family living in Kaneohe and LOVE IT. Just like "pharaoh07" said - it may be a long drive (mile wise); however, you will be against traffic. Also, H-3 is usally not very busy. The traffic that you would encounter would be on H-1, but you would be driving against the traffic.

You may also consider the North Shore ?!?! Good luck.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 34,014 times
We just moved here. My husbands in the Navy. If you look very white, I suggest doing your best to NOT look military. Moderator cut: inflammatory statement My husbands Spanish and he keeps his hair longer than some military guys, so he doesn't get attitude too often. I'm a very white girl and I experience some negative attitude from the locals. I am actually scared to live here whenever my husband goes on deployment and I am hoping to get on-base housing before he leaves because I feel safer on base... ;(

After all that negativity-- ITS BEAUTIFUL HERE!!! A lot of people have jeeps, as there is some off-roading opportunity.. The beaches are beautiful and we have fun hiking and snorkelling. Its very hot and somewhat humid right now and most houses dont have central air. Our landlord lets us use our sole air conditioner only at night, as part of the lease agreement-- so base housing is an even nicer idea because you can run your air whenever you need to!

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-07-2007 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: "The locals hate the military and white people." edited. Opinions are accepted but let's watch how we word things

Old 09-05-2007, 05:52 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diapason05 View Post
We just moved here. My husbands in the Navy. If you look very white, I suggest doing your best to NOT look military. The locals hate the military and white people. My husbands Spanish and he keeps his hair longer than some military guys, so he doesn't get attitude too often. I'm a very white girl and I experience some negative attitude from the locals. I am actually scared to live here whenever my husband goes on deployment and I am hoping to get on-base housing before he leaves because I feel safer on base... ;(
I am sorry you are having a hard time, however it's not like that for everyone. One of my good friends is a military wife (Navy, both haole, she has blond/brown hair, her husband is blue-eyed with redish/brown hair, very military looking, so they don't blend in by their looks), they love it here. They have re-signed here 2 times, trying for a third. They were also looking to buy a house recently.

Plus not all locals hate military, although I do realize it happens.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh07 View Post
central Mililani is too hot for my comfort (too far away from the cool ocean breezes).
I used to live in Mililani and recall walking to my car early in the morning and the temp being in the high 50's! IMO - Mililani temperatures seem to be the coolest on Oahu. With that being said, you are right - there are probably other areas with a nice ocean breeze, since Mililani is in the middle of the island.

Personally I would recommend Mililani for anyone stationed at Schofield or Wheeler. I think it's a nice area and it's close to both bases. You won't really be in traffic driving to/from base.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM

32 posts, read 169,845 times
Actually, I was just in Waipahu (next to Mililani) and was thinking of your post. There are some VERY nice upscale houses and neighborhoods there...and ample shopping opportunities so you wouldn't have to suffer through traffic going anywhere else. It's quite a nice area.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:22 AM

9 posts, read 82,481 times
HIgirl,
I'm considering moving to Kaneohe, we are an Army Family. Do you have any middle-school age children. Have you heard anything about the local Middle School?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 PM
we4

14 posts, read 142,381 times
Smile Middle and High School in Windward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgirl View Post
I agree - good luck avoiding the crowds. However, we are an AF family living in Kaneohe and LOVE IT. Just like "pharaoh07" said - it may be a long drive (mile wise); however, you will be against traffic. Also, H-3 is usally not very busy. The traffic that you would encounter would be on H-1, but you would be driving against the traffic.

You may also consider the North Shore ?!?! Good luck.
Dear HIgirl: We visited Oahu last week and absolutely loved Kaneohe, Kailua, the windward side in general. We want to move to Oahu where we could find a good intermediate and high school, but I understand that there's none in Windward? We know there are good private schools but we want to explore public schools first. Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by we4 View Post
Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
If I were moving to Oahu with a family, I would base my choice of areas to live on...

#1 Best public school(s) for the children.
#2 Commute to work.

IMO - those are the top priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu