Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,738 times

Advertisements

We've been considering a move to Oahu for work. A company has offered me a job which pays more than I get here in Arizona. I read somewhere that the cost of living is 43.1 % more than Arizona (yikes!) and the median there is like... $71,000 or so. My questions are posed to those that have lived in Oahu or are currently living in Oahu:

1. How much do you think it would cost for food for a family of 6 per month? (4 kids, 2 adults)

2. Would it be difficult to find a rental house that accepts dogs? (we have a 4 yr old Lab/ Dalmation mix)

3. Am I crazy for even considering this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM

97 posts, read 279,554 times
I can't speak to the food costs on Oahu but it is going to vary greatly based on what your family typically eats/drinks. If you plan on keeping the same lifestyle, then think "a lot more" than you currently pay.

The public schools in Hawaii are not very good. I would seriously consider the impact this will have on your kids. You could send them to private schools but that is pretty expensive as well.

Moving a dog to Hawaii requires you to jump through a lot of hoops and requires quite a bit of lead time and cost. Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Best of luck on your decision.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandBum View Post
I can't speak to the food costs on Oahu but it is going to vary greatly based on what your family typically eats/drinks. If you plan on keeping the same lifestyle, then think "a lot more" than you currently pay.

The public schools in Hawaii are not very good. I would seriously consider the impact this will have on your kids. You could send them to private schools but that is pretty expensive as well.

Moving a dog to Hawaii requires you to jump through a lot of hoops and requires quite a bit of lead time and cost. [URL="http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info"]Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture[/URL]

Best of luck on your decision.

Thank you SO much. I work in the aerospace industry and got a job offer from a pretty nice company in Oahu. I have all girls so they eat like birds...but I'm not sure how much that will change once they become teenagers!

I used to work for K12 so I might just attempt homeschooling if we make the move.

The dog was the one I was a little worried about. I wasn't sure how pet friendly the island was and whatnot.

Thank you for the heads-up.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 PM

82 posts, read 205,804 times
You will need Costco and SAMs Club membership for food and gas. Houses are smaller, bunk beds for the kids. Pick an area that has "nicer" public schools. That's a separate topic. You should be able to find a single family home rental that will accept one dog. Hoping you and your spouse make at least six figures combined. Otherwise it's going to be a spartan existence with such a large family. And research the animal quarantine requirements too. Best of luck. Yes I grew up and currently live here on Oahu.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 AM
hln

14 posts, read 29,790 times
More than 40% of households in Hawaii have a dog. However, finding a place that allows dogs is very hard, at least in Honolulu. I speak from personal experience as a dog owner. Browse craigslist to get an idea of potential housing available.

Bringing the dog to Hawaii is the most complicated part of the move. You will need several months lead time if you don't want your dog in quarantine.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatTheSquirrel View Post
We've been considering a move to Oahu for work. A company has offered me a job which pays more than I get here in Arizona. I read somewhere that the cost of living is 43.1 % more than Arizona (yikes!) and the median there is like... $71,000 or so. My questions are posed to those that have lived in Oahu or are currently living in Oahu:

1. How much do you think it would cost for food for a family of 6 per month? (4 kids, 2 adults)

2. Would it be difficult to find a rental house that accepts dogs? (we have a 4 yr old Lab/ Dalmation mix)

3. Am I crazy for even considering this?
Before we tell you that you are crazy , let's cut to the chase, what kind of household income are you expecting in Hawaii - 6 people quite frankly seems to me you'd have to have $125K+ household income minimum as a gut feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu