Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

I just did a search for Honolulu in the city vs city.

Seems like most people associate Honolulu vs Miami more than anywhere else.

Seems like a fair 'battle'...from an outsider perspective.

On the other hand, the two cities couldn't be further away in their many differences. I've also never heard anyone from Honolulu express interest in Miami, in particular. Probably a bit too similar, weather, tourism, etc., with few of the benefits - better paying jobs, etc.

That being said, there could be a small contingent of people on Hawaii who do end up moving to the Mainland, and consider Miami as one of their options?

What's the general assessment of Miami from a Hawaii/Honolulu perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just did a search for Honolulu in the city vs city.

Seems like most people associate Honolulu vs Miami more than anywhere else.

Seems like a fair 'battle'...from an outsider perspective.

On the other hand, the two cities couldn't be further away in their many differences. I've also never heard anyone from Honolulu express interest in Miami, in particular. Probably a bit too similar, weather, tourism, etc., with few of the benefits - better paying jobs, etc.

That being said, there could be a small contingent of people on Hawaii who do end up moving to the Mainland, and consider Miami as one of their options?

What's the general assessment of Miami from a Hawaii/Honolulu perspective?
From a Honolulu resident who has done a lot of work in S. Florida/Miami, I'd consider Miami as an option to live but the cities are almost complete opposites.

Honolulu doesn't get anywhere near the humidity of S. Florida.
While a remote chance, Hawaii is constantly barraged by tropical storms.
There is no latin influence in Hawaii. No Asian influence in Miami.
Hawaii is not dominated by a retiree community.
Hawaii does not get "snowbirds" on the scale of Florida.
The occassional winter chill/freeze never happens in Hawaii.
No gambling in Hawaii. No spring Training.
etc, etc, etc

While still not similar, I could probably compare Honolulu more with San Diego than Miami.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:46 PM

270 posts, read 506,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
From a Honolulu resident who has done a lot of work in S. Florida/Miami, I'd consider Miami as an option to live but the cities are almost complete opposites.

Honolulu doesn't get anywhere near the humidity of S. Florida.
While a remote chance, Hawaii is constantly barraged by tropical storms.
There is no latin influence in Hawaii. No Asian influence in Miami.
Hawaii is not dominated by a retiree community.
Hawaii does not get "snowbirds" on the scale of Florida.
The occassional winter chill/freeze never happens in Hawaii.
No gambling in Hawaii. No spring Training.
etc, etc, etc

While still not similar, I could probably compare Honolulu more with San Diego than Miami.

Florida also has more tornadoes and lightning than Hawaii. I saw this too:
Interesting United States Weather Facts and Extremes

10 hottest US states
Mean annual temperature, F
entire 50 state rank

1. Hawaii 71.61
2. Florida 70.73
3. Louisiana 66.39
4. Texas 64.83
5. Georgia 63.51
6. Mississippi 63.35
7. Alabama 62.77
8. South Carolina 62.42
9. Arkansas 60.42
10. Arizona 60.31

Top 10 Earthquake prone states
# of earthquakes in the last 30 years
centered in the state

1. Alaska
2. California
3. Hawaii
4. Nevada
5. Washington
6. Idaho
7. Wyoming
8. Montana
9. Utah
10. Oregon
10 wettest states

Avg annual precipitation in inches
entire 50 state rank

1. Hawaii 63.70
2. Louisiana 60.09
3. Mississippi 59.23
4. Alabama 58.28
5. Florida 54.57
6. Tennessee 54.22
7. Arkansas 50.78
8. Georgia 50.72
9. North Carolina 50.45
10. Connecticut

Yes Florida also has snowbirds each year from Canada usually in the Hollywood Ft Lauderdale area . Honolulu has about the cleanest air, and breezes, Miami overall is the more
uncomfortable weather with heat and humidity definitely. Miami and Miami Beach are connected by McArthur Causeway but the short drive does not bring ocean breezes once on
Ocean Drive. Looking right , at cruise ships passing in Government Cut towards docking, may be the only breeze you get all day. LOL. However, autumn does bring much needed relief and humidity
is far less and quite nice October to the next springtime.

Last edited by Jeepers Creepers; 10-22-2011 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 03:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Tiger Beer, if you talking about the "gnerals & feel" instead of the exact techincals of the two places, yes, Honolulu generals is like Miami with Waikiki being like Miami Beach. Of course things like temps, earthquakes, tusnamis, humidity, license plate differences, highways etc will not be the same cause they ain;t the same places, but for the general nature of the two, they are close cousins.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Yes Florida also has snowbirds each year from Canada usually in the Hollywood Ft Lauderdale area . Honolulu has about the cleanest air, and breezes, Miami overall is the more
uncomfortable weather with heat and humidity definitely. Miami and Miami Beach are connected by McArthur Causeway but the short drive does not bring ocean breezes once on
Ocean Drive. Looking right , at cruise ships passing in Government Cut towards docking, may be the only breeze you get all day. LOL. However, autumn does bring much needed relief and humidity
is far less and quite nice October to the next springtime.
If I remember right, you once lived in Miami?

What made you go there, and what made you leave? General assessments while there, and afterwards?

Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Agree

Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
If I remember right, you once lived in Miami?

What made you go there, and what made you leave? General assessments while there, and afterwards?

Miami Beach in the early 90s was fairly quiet and beginning to explode area, with Art Deco small hotels along ocean drive, as well as, larger ones. I watched the total renovation of the causeway between the beach and Miami near the Miami Herald newspaper building, and the renovation of the old Sears building across the street from it. Trees and power line poles along the causeway were removed , and then (now) you can "see" as you drive the causeway, both areas parallel. Palm Island, Star Island, Government Cut cruise ships, etc. For me, too flat and densely populated with high traffic and commutes. Palm trees (plants) grown in a nursery and plopped into the ground anyplace. Rare large "trees". Make no mistake, very pretty all over and nice places to go. BUT, too many people. Living near the beach was nice but if you are west of I-95, you may as well be in the midwest. What is the point of being there if not close to the beach? Many varied cultures there too. Listen to no one telling you that it is NOT varied, it IS !! A great feature of Miami is the cruise ships there that take you so many places!!! On New Years Eve from Ft Lauderdale, you could take a 6-7PM cruise until 3-4 AM off shore to nowhere, full buffet, entertainment, breakfast, dancing, etc for far less than a club and driving hassle on shore!! Average cost about $110.00 per person
Parking garage right there at the dock!! I left the area to live less crowded and similar weather w/o needing to drive the length of the long state just to get out of it! Living permanently on Islands? No way. All are immediately a hassle for travel OUT/IN and getting costly shipped goods. ALL of them. USVI, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Bermuda or Bahamas. PS: Easy to take day cruises to Bahamas from Miami too! Housing in South Florida is not cheap either. If so, it will usually be very far from the beach; so, why be there at all? Exceptions too; as some places CAN be found depending on your taste. Overall, I would definitely choose S. Florida over Hawaii. Humid? Yes. Hot, yes. But not all year either, From about fall until late spring, very comfortable and pleasant. Rarely "cool" for a light jacket or sweater. But invigorating too !!

I have been to Japan and relate Tokyo to Miami in a FEW ways, such as density and diverse things to do. But, Tokyo was expensive and crowded. Nice people there! Of course, weather is different too. But, S. California is also too crowed! LOL

Last edited by Jeepers Creepers; 10-27-2011 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,468 times
Hey guys I live in Miami (born and raised) and I have been looking all over for threads on Miami vs Hawaii because I am planning to move to Hawaii for UH I think its a great opportunity and I feel a lot more comfortable after reading about clean air and less humidity ! if any one as anymore info to share negative or positive about Hawaii please let me know thank you !

Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Miami Beach in the early 90s was fairly quiet and beginning to explode area, with Art Deco small hotels along ocean drive, as well as, larger ones. I watched the total renovation of the causeway between the beach and Miami near the Miami Herald newspaper building, and the renovation of the old Sears building across the street from it. Trees and power line poles along the causeway were removed , and then (now) you can "see" as you drive the causeway, both areas parallel. Palm Island, Star Island, Government Cut cruise ships, etc. For me, too flat and densely populated with high traffic and commutes. Palm trees (plants) grown in a nursery and plopped into the ground anyplace. Rare large "trees". Make no mistake, very pretty all over and nice places to go. BUT, too many people. Living near the beach was nice but if you are west of I-95, you may as well be in the midwest. What is the point of being there if not close to the beach? Many varied cultures there too. Listen to no one telling you that it is NOT varied, it IS !! A great feature of Miami is the cruise ships there that take you so many places!!! On New Years Eve from Ft Lauderdale, you could take a 6-7PM cruise until 3-4 AM off shore to nowhere, full buffet, entertainment, breakfast, dancing, etc for far less than a club and driving hassle on shore!! Average cost about $110.00 per person
Parking garage right there at the dock!! I left the area to live less crowded and similar weather w/o needing to drive the length of the long state just to get out of it! Living permanently on Islands? No way. All are immediately a hassle for travel OUT/IN and getting costly shipped goods. ALL of them. USVI, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Bermuda or Bahamas. PS: Easy to take day cruises to Bahamas from Miami too! Housing in South Florida is not cheap either. If so, it will usually be very far from the beach; so, why be there at all? Exceptions too; as some places CAN be found depending on your taste. Overall, I would definitely choose S. Florida over Hawaii. Humid? Yes. Hot, yes. But not all year either, From about fall until late spring, very comfortable and pleasant. Rarely "cool" for a light jacket or sweater. But invigorating too !!

I have been to Japan and relate Tokyo to Miami in a FEW ways, such as density and diverse things to do. But, Tokyo was expensive and crowded. Nice people there! Of course, weather is different too. But, S. California is also too crowed! LOL
Yours is an interesting post. It sounds like you do prefer S. Florida over Hawaii than.

I do agree with you about the inaccessability of beaches if living in S. Florida. It seems, if a person is young, you could live near the beach somehow, in S. Florida. But once with a family, you get pushed out to the further suburbs out near the swamps and such. I'd imagine it's much more difficult to enjoy the beaches.

One thing I quite liked about Hawaii, is beaches always seemed nearby, wherever you were at. I also liked that Waikiki had so many activities that were kid-friendly. So people with kids, can still have their fun, and get their kids out in the evening too, and all have fun at the same time.

I just remember Waikiki Beach having lots of live performances on the beaches, where everyone, young people, and people with kids, and everyone else would sit around and just enjoy. If I remember right, there was even a movie night on Waikiki...although maybe I'm wrong on that. There was definitely plenty of live performances, with the ukulele and other types of events.

On the other hand, those accessable to many Carribbean Islands of South Florida certainly sound interesting. Not that Hawaii wouldn't have a few other islands nearby as well, but something interesting about going to another country altogether.

(As you can tell, I'm attracted to both areas, for different reasons)

Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Yours is an interesting post. It sounds like you do prefer S. Florida over Hawaii than.

I do agree with you about the inaccessability of beaches if living in S. Florida. It seems, if a person is young, you could live near the beach somehow, in S. Florida. But once with a family, you get pushed out to the further suburbs out near the swamps and such. I'd imagine it's much more difficult to enjoy the beaches.

One thing I quite liked about Hawaii, is beaches always seemed nearby, wherever you were at. I also liked that Waikiki had so many activities that were kid-friendly. So people with kids, can still have their fun, and get their kids out in the evening too, and all have fun at the same time.

I just remember Waikiki Beach having lots of live performances on the beaches, where everyone, young people, and people with kids, and everyone else would sit around and just enjoy. If I remember right, there was even a movie night on Waikiki...although maybe I'm wrong on that. There was definitely plenty of live performances, with the ukulele and other types of events.

On the other hand, those accessable to many Carribbean Islands of South Florida certainly sound interesting. Not that Hawaii wouldn't have a few other islands nearby as well, but something interesting about going to another country altogether.

(As you can tell, I'm attracted to both areas, for different reasons)
I hope not to give a unilateral viewpoint but there is a lot to say about South Florida. Beaches are really not hard to access, but not geographically "as close" as in Hawaii, simply due to the overall size involved. Still. beaches are fairly near to all but driving is needed, and distance is not so much the issue as traffic density. Having said that, it depends on the individual as to what you prefer and can accept. Even those I knew right on a given beach, may not go more than once a week due to work, kids, etc. Too, there are choices and varied activities as well. But, one must appreciate that the entire area is filled with people and that is the point. Any specific location has advantages or not. Lastly, the access to driving down to the Keys is nice too. I have driven years ago, first, when the 7 mile bridge (old one no longer used) that appeared in the "True Lies" film in segments that remain, was so narrow that you got goose bumps passing oncoming traffic. LOL. THAT older road bed was built on the railroad supports built by Flagler for his rail line to Key West. Now, a much better road but still "busy" and beautiful drive. I await the opening of Cuba and its' "freedom" and am sure it will be the destination of choice in a decade or less. Then, Las Vegas will wither. Cuba is simply too close to the east Coast and given an economic choice, most will head to Cuba! It will be cheaper and much more interesting with vast beaches and super friendly/industrious people. Many in S Florida still have family in Cuba too. "Film at Eleven" on that aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: