Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,653 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

First of all, would like to thank all the previous posters to these threads. As a "lurker", I've been able to do a lot of research. Here goes....

Later this year, I've been offered a fantastic job opportunity in Honolulu. My family & I are extremely excited to get away from the East Coast rat race and will embrace the Island lifestyle. I'm actually making a final "decision-making" trip there at the end of June, so feedback so I can prep for this trip would be fantastic. I've got 2 kids (12 & 9) who are making the move with myself & my wife. Here's my two questions (although they're related) - any advice would be greatly appreciated:

-What general area(s) should I look at for residing in ? I know this is an generic question and I also know all about the private/public school debate, but since we're moving mid-year, it may be impossible to get into a private school. Thus, what neighborhoods contain a great lifestyle, good elementary/middle schools and a less than miserable commute into the city ? I'm going to be comfortable financially based on this new position, so I'm open to any locations that would be best for my children.
- If anyone has any specific neighborhoods/school systems they can recommend, I'd also like to hear as I'll be able to visit those areas in June.

That's it. Looking forward to this "Fact-finding" trip in late June, and any advice you all can provide would be deeply appreciated. Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
If money is no object - then check out Hawaii Kai/Portlock, Kahala, and Kailua.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Thanks. Will check out those areas. More concerned with public schooling for my kids than anything else. How do those areas rate for public schools ??

Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Try this:

Hawaii State Elementary Schools - HI School Rankings

Though not always the case - follow the wealth. Often in wealthier areas parents with their $$'s can prop things up.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Where is your new job located?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 AM

34 posts, read 86,563 times
Have you or your family been to Hawaii before? It is quite different from New Jersey.
You may experience some culture shock.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:02 AM

6 posts, read 8,065 times
Salt Lakes and the Moanalua areas, are worth a look, may depend were work is located.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Hi everyone,

Just back from trip (thanks for all the good points) and absolutely loved it. Explored most of the island and kept coming back to Kailua. Really enjoyed the laid-back beach town atmosphere there. Looks like we'll be moving there late this year / early next. Does anyone have any good sources for executive long-term rentals (6-12 months) while we find a permanent location ? Thanks all.......

Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 PM

38 posts, read 96,475 times
Just curious -- where will you be working? I'm going through much the same process as you (sans kids), have a house-hunting trip in 2 weeks. Also looking for a 6-12 month rental while assessing if we will stay for a longer term or not.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBears View Post
Hi everyone,

Just back from trip (thanks for all the good points) and absolutely loved it. Explored most of the island and kept coming back to Kailua. Really enjoyed the laid-back beach town atmosphere there. Looks like we'll be moving there late this year / early next. Does anyone have any good sources for executive long-term rentals (6-12 months) while we find a permanent location ? Thanks all.......
Since you're coming for a job, is there someone there who can help with this? I moved here for a job, and was assigned a "kokua" (someone to help me get settled & oriented to the area). He (& his wife) answered lots of email questions about locations, went and looked at a couple of apartments for me, and put me in touch with a realtor since I was planning to eventually buy a place once I was settled. The realtor actually found my first apartment for me (it wasn't on craigslist), helped me negotiate a lease where I could leave after 6 months if I found a place to buy, and was just super helpful. She did all of that knowing that if / when I bought a place, I'd use her as a buyer's agent (and I did). Since then, I have been a "kokua" for two other folks moving to work in my department. I've done the same thing (sans realtor contact) in helping out their apartment hunt.

If there was someone where you're going to work that you hit it off with during the interview, maybe contact that person directly and ask for soe help. If not, maybe contact your boss and ask if they can suggest someone who would be willing to help you with this stuff.

Best of luck on the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu