Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 PM

49 posts, read 105,282 times

Advertisements

Oi gente,

Meu marido e eu estamos pensando em mudar para o Hawaii. Eu sou Brasileira de um tipo morena clara e o meu marido Indiano.
Eu queria saber, honestamente, como os Brasileiros/Latinos e tambem Indianos, sao tratados ai. Eu ouvi ja de muito preconceito e estou realmente tentando fugir disso pois aonde eu moro as pessoas sao MUITO preconceituosas e nao quero que meus filhos crescam em um lugar assim.
Moro ja nos Estados Unidos 20 anos. Alguem ai ja mudou da mainland para o Hawaii e achou melhor, mais aceitos, etc.
Como e a cultura, da para se acostumar?
Obrigadao viu!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Oi, tudo bem! Muito interesante!

I use to live in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro for six months, many years ago, teaching English.

Now I see you completely differently! Not Portuguese-Portugual-American ethnicity....but actually Brazilian with the language intact as well. Even if 20 years in the U.S. Have you been living in the 'South' the entire time? Does Florida include being in the South?

Most Brazilians seem to favor Florida, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and to a lesser extent somewhere like Georgia or possibly Texas.

I'm not aware of any Brazilians on the Hawaii forum, although I imagine Brazilians in general, might search city-data occassionally, and might come across your post. Might be worth an interesting shot! You never know who is out there, and might have experience with what. Boa Sorte!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 PM

Hey Tiger Beer,

Legal que voce fala Portugues! Eu estou morando em Texas fazem 3 anos. Antes eu morava no Northeast---eu gostava de la, mas ja algum tempo pensava em mudar porque o frio era muito forte. Mas la eu quase nao tinha problemas com esse tal de racismo ridiculo que tem em muitas partes dos Estados Unidos. Aqui aonde moro em Texas e' meio barra pesada com o tal do racismo, entao por isso, estamos pensando em mudar, e como queremos um lugar quente, nos resolvemos que vai ser ou California ou Hawaii. Entao estamos pensando qual seria o melhor lugar. Hawaii e mais quente e bem mais bonito entao prefiro la.
Bom falar com voce!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Sorry, you guys, but the Terms of Service here require all posts to be in English.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry, you guys, but the Terms of Service here require all posts to be in English.
Desculpe, você caras, mas os Termos de Serviço aqui exigir que todas as mensagens para ser em Inglês.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by know2walk View Post
Oi gente,

Meu marido e eu estamos pensando em mudar para o Hawaii. Eu sou Brasileira de um tipo morena clara e o meu marido Indiano.
Eu queria saber, honestamente, como os Brasileiros/Latinos e tambem Indianos, sao tratados ai. Eu ouvi ja de muito preconceito e estou realmente tentando fugir disso pois aonde eu moro as pessoas sao MUITO preconceituosas e nao quero que meus filhos crescam em um lugar assim.
Moro ja nos Estados Unidos 20 anos. Alguem ai ja mudou da mainland para o Hawaii e achou melhor, mais aceitos, etc.
Como e a cultura, da para se acostumar?
Obrigadao viu!
Sorry for being a little unclear, but when I insert your post in a google translator it looks like this new thread asking basically the exact same question you just asked in your "Would I be a Haole" thread ? Or am I misunderstanding because you posted in a language I am unfamiliar with?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Well, to be fair....having lived in Brazil, and just seeing how different it is there...it's phenominally different.

Not that Brazil doesn't have racism, it does, it's just more institutional, but not all that there socially whatsoever.

I was blown away in BRazil, to regularly see mixed blacks and whites absolutely everywhere all the time. Yeah, in the U.S., we have many 50/50 black white cities...but mostly blacks only hang out with other blacks, and whites only hang out with other whites. It's weird.

When I lived in NYC, I went into a black bar, and people thought I was a Sociologist there to study how black folks live. It's just that different.

So, yeah, I get where you are coming from. In general, the black/white divide is nothing short of enormous across the entire United States, particularly in comparison to Brazil.

That being said, it seems the West Coast has a ton more mixes of all of all races going on all the time. So, right away, that'll be significantly different than anywhere you've spent out East (or TX or South, etc.).

Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Tiger,
Totally agree with you. That's very interesting
And funny about the NY bar! Yeah Brazil doesn't have much racism but there is a lot of discrimination towards class--people will be treated very different based upon how they present themselves--if they" look like "they have money or not. I'm sure you noticed that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu