Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
I just saw this posted comment below,
Heck, if you want to read wacky comments about Hawaii, just go to our home-grown version in the comments made about the daily newpaper (SA) articles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 PM

258 posts, read 421,934 times
Wow that was quite the comment! Geesh! My assumption is it's from someone who has never actually lived there, because otherwise they just called themself an imbecile.

Seriously though, not all of us require high end, brand new everything. Some of us are happy with a roof over our heads, a beach, a job, and our cats LOL. And a couch, IDK why but having a couch really just makes all the difference for me.

Actually was doing some googling last night and found Hawaii Academy.... there's either an adult class or open gym 5 nights a week! I LOVE gymnastics and my gym here cancelled their adult class this winter while I was out with the flu (lame) so I've been sad ever since. Now I find out not only will I have the opportunity to work on my gymnastics 5 nights a week, but it will cost me less for more time! NICE. When I read that my mind said "Can we move NOW??" Seriously THAT is my idea of heaven! Warm weather, and lots of opportunity to flip around.

Maybe their idea of paradise is Greenwich, CT. But that's probably too overpriced for them, too. Can't please everyone!

~Katy

Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
The weather here will spoil ya!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The weather here will spoil ya!
So I hear, I'm looking forward to it! It's been nice and hot here lately and the humidity is killer.

-----------------------

We've got the first of the cats in at the vet, got her an updated rabies shot (seems the last vet gave her a 3yr one but wasn't supposed to... so they can't count it. Sigh.)... have her scheduled to be spayed and microchipped in about a week, and the other cats are going in on Saturday to get their shots updated and microchips for the ones that don't already have them.

We are looking at getting a grill and a chest freezer sometime in the next year or so... and I am wondering, considering the move is paid for and we aren't anywhere close to the limit for weight we can ship, would it make sense to buy those here rather than waiting until after the move?

~Katy

Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 PM

44 posts, read 64,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Being the cat lover you must be, you may find the feral cat population in need of a hand instead of bringing all your cats. If you could rehome them you will not be lonely, there are many feral cats that need a lot of help. I know it would be really hard to rehome them, I couldn't do it, but if you can't find a home to rent what will you do?

Feral Cats a Concern for Oahu
Feral Cats a Concern for Oahu - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

CatFriends (CF) is a 501c3 (non-profit) all volunteer organization
HI CatFriends
We have 4 cats and I promise you we will not be taking them with us is if I end up relocating to Oahu. Hopefully we will find a way to rehome them. Two of them are good mousers and squirrel hunters.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Hard question: grill and chest freezer. On one hand, you can get anything here for next to nothing from people relocating - if you don't mind whatever degree of used the item is. On the other hand, you might not find something when you're looking for it. You might compare the Home Depot prices here to there. If it's the same then it might be less hassle to deal with. I was just thinking how many appliances are on porches here. Don't assume you'll have room for a chest freezer! And that makes me wonder about power outages. Why not get a generator for your freezer?
I haven't seen any power outages yet (in 7 months). Just heard the stories.
If you get it moved for free.... I just don't know.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM

431 posts, read 940,037 times
The prices are NOT the same here as they are on the mainland.
Example: I looked at a Maytag chest freezer online, plugging in the Honolulu zip code, and the price came up as $499. I then plugged in a NY zip code and the same freezer cost $50 less than it does here. Try it.

Home Improvement Made Easy with New Lower Prices | Improve & Repair

Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 PM

Hmmm I wonder how often there are actually power outages, and how long they typically last. We already have a generator, one more thing we could just bring with us rather than selling before we go. One of the many decisions to make.

I'm fairly sure we'd have space for a freezer. We'll be looking for somewhere with a garage, we'd likely be able to put one there. We've been talking about getting a feezer for a while now, because we go through so much chicken it would be better to buy it in bulk but we don't have the freezer space to do it. I also will chop up a bunch of fresh veggies to stir fry that we store in the freezer, and fresh fruit we chop up and freeze for smoothies. Most of what we eat comes out of the freezer not the fridge.

~Katy

Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
The prices are NOT the same here as they are on the mainland.
Example: I looked at a Maytag chest freezer online, plugging in the Honolulu zip code, and the price came up as $499. I then plugged in a NY zip code and the same freezer cost $50 less than it does here. Try it.

Home Improvement Made Easy with New Lower Prices | Improve & Repair
It looks like the freezers that are available in store are more expensive in Honolulu, and the ones that you can have shipped say they cost the same but aren't available to be shipped to Honolulu. I'll have to look into Amazon, too, we have Prime which will be nice.

~Katy

Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 PM

Welp just wanted to update that my husband has a report date! Unless he convinces me to stay behind until he returns home from a deployment, which is unlikely, we will be there by April! I started going through my long sleeve shirts the other day and have got a pile to get rid of already. It's warm enough here that I don't need many to get me through the winter before we go.

Cats all have their first round of shots and the last one gets her microchip tomorrow when she gets spayed. We should have plenty of time to get everything done.

Hopefully this weekend we can start combing through things to decide what to get rid of so we can start with a garage sale.

Random question, where to get the best, least expensive papayas on the island??

~Katy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu