Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Interesting to see so many people give thoughtful answers to what is obviously a fake story. Cmon, folks - if you give the time of day to these fake threads they'll just keep popping up. Sentence #1 was a giveaway and it went downhill from there. These fake threads aren't even getting imaginative anymore.
First of all its not a fake thread, I have been intensely fascinated with Hawaiii since I have been a child. I don't know about you, but I don't have much time to devote towards making up lies or being rude online. The reason why I posted was to get input.

Now to everyone else, thanks for your advice. Its a treasure trove of information. I will look into the remote work suggestion as that could perhaps be a more accessible way to get on the island with a JOB. Our other option postgrad was to look into perhaps settling in the Texas Triangle where housing costs are cheaper but there's still a fertile tech scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 AM

152 posts, read 372,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Interesting to see so many people give thoughtful answers to what is obviously a fake story. Cmon, folks - if you give the time of day to these fake threads they'll just keep popping up. Sentence #1 was a giveaway and it went downhill from there. These fake threads aren't even getting imaginative anymore.

Ditto. I am surprised that some business has not begun selling clothes named " Fake Threads" for
wear in " Paradise". Hawaii is not James Michener's 1959 novel or the 1966 film with Julie Andrews.
It is a state, and mainland is a term for the CONUS (continental USA). " Once upon a time..." may be a good start, but not if you plan to live somewhere.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 AM

258 posts, read 421,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGradHonolulu View Post
First of all its not a fake thread, I have been intensely fascinated with Hawaiii since I have been a child. I don't know about you, but I don't have much time to devote towards making up lies or being rude online. The reason why I posted was to get input.

Now to everyone else, thanks for your advice. Its a treasure trove of information. I will look into the remote work suggestion as that could perhaps be a more accessible way to get on the island with a JOB. Our other option postgrad was to look into perhaps settling in the Texas Triangle where housing costs are cheaper but there's still a fertile tech scene.
Texas may be a better bet, at least at first. Your money that you have saved up will stretch MUCH farther there and then you should, best case scenario, not need to use up much of it before you can start to save even more. Use some ofthe money to take trips to Hawaii, get to know the area, and see if you really like it there enough to suck up the cost of moving and living there or if you're content with visiting.

~Katy

Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Sure, OP, give it a try. You'll have a financial cushion. If you and your partner can't find work before the money is all gone, you can head back to the mainland.

At this point, you don't have a lot of responsibilities, no kids to consider.

Be aware that you might find you don't even like Hawaii. It's not like the fantasy of the tropics that some people seem to have. But you are young and have some cash, so go ahead and do it. If it works, good. If it doesn't work, buy a plane ticket and head back home.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Texas has much lower home / apartment costs and NO state taxes either. Also Austin has a college environment and New Braunfels has October fest each fall, super fun. San Antonio has a great vibe and the Riverwalk as well. As stated by some, you can always use that lessor living costs to save and travel to Hawaii as you want yearly or more later. Keep in mind the possible oil pipeline from Canada when you chose your area, plus the source of water is from the Edwards underground aquifer.
There is also a nice array of military at Ft Sam Houston , Randolph AFB at Universal City north of San Antonio too.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Rentals typically require a deposit plus first and last months rent upfront, so you have to drop a lot of cash to get started. This is not always true, but I found it to be pretty common.
Not so in Hawai'i. State law limits landlords to first month's rent and a one month security deposit. It's illegal for them to accept more, and can cause all kinds of problems later on if they do. - Note: starting in November it will be legal to collect an additional deposit of up to a month's rent if you want to have a pet. This is supposed to give some relief to people with pets, who currently find it very difficult to find "pet-friendly" rentals.

Quote:
Always have a backup plan and a way out if things don't pan out the way you think.
I prefer calling it an exit strategy, because it seems a little more down to earth to me, a little more nitty-gritty. It's the plan you make about how to get out and back to wherever you came from if things don't work out for you in Hawai'i, no matter what the reason.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
Texas has much lower home / apartment costs and NO state taxes either
To be accurate, Texas has no state Income tax. It does, however have all kinds of other taxes, icluding sales taxes, plus killer property taxes in many areas.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
To be accurate, Texas has no state Income tax. It does, however have all kinds of other taxes, icluding sales taxes, plus killer property taxes in many areas.
Yes, and thank you for that clarification, important !

Old 08-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGradHonolulu View Post
Since it's always the same small number of posters here claiming other people are fakes, I have to wonder why they are so obsessed with fakes?

Personally I'm not interested in such accusations. It's easy enough to ignore a post if you think it's a fake.

I also see value in answering questions here openly and in a straightforward manner, because the stats say that something like 500 people on average read each of these threads, so the answer you give today could benefit someone, say, 3 years from now. And I mean that literally. I've recently received thank you messages from people for things I posted that long ago. That's pretty neat, to be able to help lots of people with what we post here.

So I hope what I post is useful to you, or to whomever has posted whatever I am responding to. But if not, no matter, the odds are it will be useful to someone, sometime. And that's reason enough for me to take your questions at face value.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Since it's always the same small number of posters here claiming other people are fakes, I have to wonder why they are so obsessed with fakes?

Personally I'm not interested in such accusations. It's easy enough to ignore a post if you think it's a fake.

I also see value in answering questions here openly and in a straightforward manner, because the stats say that something like 500 people on average read each of these threads, so the answer you give today could benefit someone, say, 3 years from now. And I mean that literally. I've recently received thank you messages from people for things I posted that long ago. That's pretty neat, to be able to help lots of people with what we post here.

So I hope what I post is useful to you, or to whomever has posted whatever I am responding to. But if not, no matter, the odds are it will be useful to someone, sometime. And that's reason enough for me to take your questions at face value.
It was definitely useful, thank you. As for your and okfine's point about property taxes, we're both probably going to be renting for the long-term, (at least until our thirties when we probably settle down with our respective families) so we wouldn't directly be paying property taxes anyway. Well I'm glad I have two years to go before I move anyway, but after reading all the posts here it does seem like a better long-term strategy would be to try Texas or somewhere in the southwest with affordable housing, establish ourselves, add to our savings, and then try to make the leap to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu