Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 PM

87 posts, read 133,241 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few Hawaii Life type shows, where the gyst is that you should come live in Hawaii because there are jobs and the islands want you.

When I lived in honolulu I was employed, but I distinctly remember that the hiring market was very insular and definitely was not geared towards mainlanders showing up and getting jobs over local.

Also there never seemed to be a dearth of workers- like when the new Target opened I think, and there were literally THOUSANDS of people who showed up for basic level jobs.

So I don't understand this sort of thing I see lately on TV. hawaii has enough workers already and land is not cheap. But the show and other ads I've seen, says Hawaii has a growing economy in need of workers, and you should make your home here..what is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
I have seen a few Hawaii Life type shows, where the gyst is that you should come live in Hawaii because there are jobs and the islands want you.

When I lived in honolulu I was employed, but I distinctly remember that the hiring market was very insular and definitely was not geared towards mainlanders showing up and getting jobs over local.

Also there never seemed to be a dearth of workers- like when the new Target opened I think, and there were literally THOUSANDS of people who showed up for basic level jobs.

So I don't understand this sort of thing I see lately on TV. hawaii has enough workers already and land is not cheap. But the show and other ads I've seen, says Hawaii has a growing economy in need of workers, and you should make your home here..what is that?

The Mainland media doesn't really care if you move to Hawaii or not. The just really care selling advertising time during their Television time slots. And there are many people who dream about moving to Hawaii and love watching those shows. So, since people watch them, advertisers buy time and the world keeps spinning.

Sometimes there are two motives in play. For example the show Hawaii Life is developed by a local Real Estate Company. So they are producing the show to help them market and sell their Real Estate Company and the services they can provide in helping people buy homes in Hawaii. And the Mainland Media company is also selling the advertising time because so many people fantasize about Hawaii and living on a beach rather than being stuck in a mainland rat race.

Of course, the shows never show the potential rat race you can also fall into when you live and work in Hawaii. They like to show the beach and all the outdoor activities. But in large part, most people still need to get up every morning and commute to work, work all day, commute home, cook dinner, do laundry, pay bills, go to the grocery store, etc.

But if they showed that stuff, very few people would tune in to watch.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM

431 posts, read 939,730 times
ITA with WB's post.
Vicarious fantasy fulfillment, plain and simple. The grass is always greener and Paradise is just a wish away.
The sad part is that there will be some who take these shows to heart and sell everything, pack up their five kids, two dogs and three cats, and haul ass on over with stars in their eyes and no jobs.
That "Hawaii Life" dude oozes slime. "You don't have to be rich to live in Hawaii, you just have to WAAANT it!"
:::Shudder:::
His agents must do real well. Selling to people when they arrive and collecting another commission when they leave two years or so later. Gotta love it.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM

67 posts, read 159,173 times
Maybe the producers have found a way to live and work in Hawaii all expenses paid? And really, Hawaii's beauty and diverse lifestyles makes for good television. It doesn't have to be true, just entertaining enough to sell soap.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,715 times
I enjoy watching the Hawaii Life series. It's interesting to see the different housing options available. Sometimes its surprising which houses are selected by the clients. The show is geared for the people that are still in their working years, many have several kids and usually a dog or two.

It's true that that they don't talk about the daily commute between leward oahu and Honolulu. A lot of other negatives are not mentioned. One walk through any grocery store is a huge negative. But there are many positives about living in Hawaii. I think it works best when you are retired, have a high net worth, and a retirement income stream over $100K. You don't have to rich to live in Hawaii, but it helps if you're not poor!

Old 02-16-2014, 02:13 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Well there's this:

Magnum P.I. - Opening - YouTube

And this:

Hawaii Five-0 Theme Song - 1968 version - YouTube

and, finally, this

Hawaiian Eye Intro - YouTube

Old 02-16-2014, 04:05 PM

431 posts, read 939,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I enjoy watching the Hawaii Life series. It's interesting to see the different housing options available. Sometimes its surprising which houses are selected by the clients. The show is geared for the people that are still in their working years, many have several kids and usually a dog or two.

It's true that that they don't talk about the daily commute between leward oahu and Honolulu. A lot of other negatives are not mentioned. One walk through any grocery store is a huge negative. But there are many positives about living in Hawaii. I think it works best when you are retired, have a high net worth, and a retirement income stream over $100K. You don't have to rich to live in Hawaii, but it helps if you're not poor!
Nope, they never mention the horrible commute, the cost of utilities, the price of food. No mention of the terrible problems with health care (especially on the islands other than Oahu), probably because no one ever gets sick in Hawaii (TIC).
It's all "Pollyanna's Most Wonderful Life In Hawaii."
Good for the scenery and a laugh or two but not much more.
And oh, about the scenery. Please note: Lanikai is not in Kapolei. The Ko'olau Mountains are not on the Big Island. Chinaman's Hat is not off Ewa Beach. Kailua Town is not in Hau'ula. And professional performers from a commercial luau are not to be found in full costume sitting on the side of the road as you drive to Kaneohe. Just sayin.'
Yep, good for more than a laugh or two.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM

79 posts, read 231,040 times
European networks have been flooding the airwaves with Hawai'i as well in the past few months, apparently.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
And oh, about the scenery. Please note: Lanikai is not in Kapolei. The Ko'olau Mountains are not on the Big Island. Chinaman's Hat is not off Ewa Beach. Kailua Town is not in Hau'ula. And professional performers from a commercial luau are not to be found in full costume sitting on the side of the road as you drive to Kaneohe. Just sayin.'
Yep, good for more than a laugh or two.
My favorite episode was when they were talking about about the beautiful view from Haleakala on Maui. However, the view they showed was from Diamond Head on Oahu!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quite frankly, they do it because they know it is a popular fantasy, with a built in audience. Eyes on the screen translates to money. That's why they do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu