Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 04:06 AM
md7 md7 started this thread

28 posts, read 36,818 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a new phase 2 house there, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on that development.

Who lives there? Retired people? Young families?
Do things like papaya trees grow in your backyard without irrigation?
Any HOA meeting recurring complaints?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Do you live on Oahu now? You should visit the area to ensure you will like living there. Need a little more information to give you better information.
Scott

PS old Makakilo some of the older homes had bigger lots, and Papaya trees in the backyard don't know about DR Horton homes probably not, smaller lots.

Last edited by ScottStielow; 03-14-2014 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md7 View Post
Hi,

Do things like papaya trees grow in your backyard without irrigation?
No. Not in Makakilo. That is an area with very little rain.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM

Looks like drip irrigation then. Also, the soil @ Kahiwelo looks like clay/poor draining to me, so another possible issue for papaya.

I first visited in 2007 during phase 1 (sales rep was originally from from TX, if I remember right). Info from then was that many retired transplants bought there. But on my last visit a few weeks ago, I see many young families (not as desirable because little cute kids will turn into troublesome teens).

Over the years, I watched the development from the highway (didn't exit as I was planning to buy in Hawaii kai then). Always a good impression (I dislike small frontages because guests have to park far away). But prices being what they are, I'm ok with it.

The location is good as I had a good time surfing at that power plant beach and I think I can be happy surfing there more often. And I noticed that there's even an archery range in Kapolei (perfect for me). Wife dislikes Waikiki and Honolulu (me too, way too crowded and nothing to do there), so traffic won't be too big an issue (I'll be working from home if I move to HI).

An older Makakilo home has bigger lot and a view, but I think they are over priced (plus I don't feel like doing a knockdown and rebuild in HI). Being mostly starter homes there, I'm going to bet that future buyers will care more about price and house age than lot size and view.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 AM

I'm still deciding on Kahiwelo, so the papaya issue is a negative for Makakilo.
Hey, I picked my college based on its bicycle path... so don't underestimate the importance of papayas

Old 03-15-2014, 01:15 PM

170 posts, read 292,253 times
I'm sure they have a sprinkler system in those new homes. Every other house in my neighborhood in Ewa Beach has papaya trees. I don't think they need much water.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:53 PM

I can almost live off papayas; watch, once I move to HI I'll be colored yellow from eating one too many.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md7 View Post
I can almost live off papayas; watch, once I move to HI I'll be colored yellow from eating one too many.
I second that you can grow papaya trees in Makakilo without irrigation. I live in a fairly dry area and many of my neighbors don't have problems with growing papayas. I don't care for the orange fleshed papaya.
Have you tried the red fleshed Sunrise papaya? It's ono!

Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
OP, in answer to your question about the HOA meetings, I Googled the subdivision name and found the HOA website. They do have some meeting minutes posted, but either the Board doesn't meet very often or the website is not current, because the last minutes posted were from November. Still would be a good source of information for you to look around the website.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
I lived in the Ewa Plain and I know for a fact that a few of my neighbors had Papaya trees in their yards. I'm sure there was irrigation. So if really dry Ewa plain can grow them, I'm sure Makakilo can do the same,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu