Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 02:10 AM

100 posts, read 138,667 times

Advertisements

How can everything in a Honolulu Safeway be so inexpensive? It's like I've died and gone to supermarket heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:28 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
I'd like a kilo of whatever you're smoking.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:59 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
How can everything in a Honolulu Safeway be so inexpensive?
If you buy only things with sales on the Clubcard - and compare the price to Foodland, Times, and Whole Foods, I'd agree. Then add the gas rewards - that also helps.

Compared to the Mainland or things not on sale - then not so much.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Compared to the Mainland or things not on sale - then not so much.
Mainland? Why are we comparing prices with the Mainland? I'd suggest using other Pacific Islands as a frame of reference. Honolulu is a bargain on just about everything except beachfront huts.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Mainland? .......... using other Pacific Islands as a frame of reference. .........
Are we comparing to Tahiti?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Tahiti (and all of French Polynesia) is pretty expensive on everything, with the possible exception of French wine, but I had no specific location in mind.

Being from New Zealand, my comparisons start there...but New Zealand is cheap (for food and other consumables) when compared against its smaller neighbors. Kiwis bring coolers full of meat when they go to the Cook Islands because 1) we're allowed to and 2) NZ is where the food comes from anyway.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Mainland? Why are we comparing prices with the Mainland? I'd suggest using other Pacific Islands as a frame of reference. Honolulu is a bargain on just about everything except beachfront huts.
Why? Because the overwhelming majority of visitors to Hawaii (and transplanted residents) come from the mainland.

Perhaps your original post should have given a frame of reference for your comparisons. Then the rest of us would have understood.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 PM

170 posts, read 292,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I'd like a kilo of whatever you're smoking.
+1. I've never looked at Safeway coupons and used Just for You since I've moved here. On sale items here are regular price items on the mainland. I try to purchase most of my food at Costco and go to Safeway for the non bulk items.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:

I can see why most of us compare Hawaii to the mainland. However, you make a very good point. We really should be comparing it to other Pacific Islands.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

I can see why most of us compare Hawaii to the mainland. However, you make a very good point. We really should be comparing it to other Pacific Islands.
As soon as other Pacific Island groups get retail establishments from the continental United States, such as Safeway, Whole Foods, Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, etc., a true comparison can be made. For instance, New Zealand's "New World" supermarket chain (that has around 140 stores) isn't really directly comparable to the Safeway chain (that has around 1,324 stores in the continental United States and 21 Hawaiʻi) because of "economies of scale" and supply chain differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu