Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 11,425 times

Advertisements

Hi there, i am a 22 year old female from Banff, AB and i am very interested in moving to Hawaii for the summer to learn how to surf. I would be coming out the beginning of June until sometime in the fall (I wanna make it back in time for snowbaording season back home.) I have dual citizenship and so i dont need a working visa.

A couple questions i have....

From what i have read so far Oahu seems to be the place to go?
(I have only surfed once before so i need somewhere that has alot of beginners..)

Is there somewhere that has alot of seasonal work?

Is there such thing as Staff Acommadation?

Is there somewhere that it is not impossible to find living?
(I am willing to sign a 6 month lease and pay 500-750 for a room per month to rent a room)

I just want to learn to surf and be under the sun for a whole summer!

thanks for any answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM

82 posts, read 365,246 times
I'm sure you could find something in Hale'iwa(North Shore) at a restaurant or boutique without any problem. As far as housing with work, there is a YMCA camp on the North Shore, here is a link to jobs with Honolulu YMCA YMCA of Honolulu - Careers, but I can't help but think given its location, it probably has a waiting list for employees. Check out craigslist for rentals or rommates wanted, and maybe even check out housing swap if you own a home in Banff, I imagine people here would love to change it up for a while. Good luck, I think with some digging and research, you will be able to find something that suits your needs, especially since you are starting early.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBClem View Post
Hi there, i am a 22 year old female from Banff, AB and i am very interested in moving to Hawaii for the summer to learn how to surf. I would be coming out the beginning of June until sometime in the fall (I wanna make it back in time for snowbaording season back home.) I have dual citizenship and so i dont need a working visa.

(I have only surfed once before so i need somewhere that has alot of beginners..)

Is there such thing as Staff Acommadation?

Is there somewhere that it is not impossible to find living?
(I am willing to sign a 6 month lease and pay 500-750 for a room per month to rent a room)

I just want to learn to surf and be under the sun for a whole summer!

thanks for any answers!

there should be beginners' beaches on all islands. but, i'm no expert. just pay heed to the warning signs. several people were swept out into the ocean by rip tides/currents. one person died the other day. experienced surfers had to rescue several others and they also brought in the person who died. supposedly this happened on maui and there wasn't a lifeguard on duty.

you should also check out the honolulu star bulletin and advertiser papers for rooms to rent. i don't think you would have a problem! there's plenty of sun and waves to catch right now!

Old 02-27-2008, 02:52 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBClem View Post

The place with the most surfing beginners, and therefor the most teachers, is Waikiki Beach. If you don't want to pay a teacher, I think you could learn a bit by just watching a lesson from a distance, but I would ask one of the teachers if that is frowned on.

Waikiki Beach also has pretty gentle surf most of the time, ideal for beginners. A wide reef protects it. The North Shore surf can be very big, and dangerous.

I would think that Waikiki would have lots of seasonal work, but that's just a guess.

Hank

Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
I would think that Waikiki would have lots of seasonal work, but that's just a guess.

Hank
Tourist Season, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu