Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 PM

308 posts, read 410,536 times

Advertisements

Hello and/or Aloha :-);

I am a middle-aged person, and new to this forum. My father was stationed in the Army, at the army base on Oahu, in the '50s. His time was up and he was discharged in Sept. of 1959--2 months before I was born, and he and my mother headed back to small-town Oregon, where I was born in late November of the same year.

Fast forward 5 1/2 decades. My father died about 5 years ago. My mother passed away a year ago near last Christmas. Amongst their belongings, I found a beautiful wooden photo album filled with photos from their time on Oahu. In addition, the original envelopes, with negatives (which I will be having re-printed sometime soon), were stashed in the back of the album, and on those envelopes is an address. I've tried Googling it, but find nothing, so I wonder if it still exists. The envelopes also have the "Hawaiian Army and Air Force Exchange Photo Lab APO 958" stamp on it, so I figure that the address on the envelope either is or was an address on Oahu, and perhaps on the Army base. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this address still exists? It is 411 Hohurm Lane. No state or zip code given, so I can't be absolutely sure it's even IN Hawaii, but given the Army/Air Force photo lab stamp, I'm presuming that it is. The photo envelopes date from between December '58 and April '59.

I'm just curious about the place where they lived (perhaps I'll scan some of the old photos so local people can ID some of the places in them) during Dad's time being stationed on Oahu. I never saw this album while they were alive, so never had the opportunity to learn anything about the photos. Of course, I grew up hearing how much they loved SCUBA diving, and how much my dad loved surfing near Waikiki (did I spell that correctly?) during their free time there, and that my mother loved the geckos that lived on and in their house, and how dearly she would have loved to be able to return. My dad did some sort of "secret" radio stuff, there, and was also a pilot who did some flying, I believe for the Army, although I'm not certain.

Finding this photo album a few months after my mother's passing (found it this past June), I have been curious about this small, undoubtedly very trivial, bit of family "mystery". If the address and a home or base housing still exists, I'd love to be able to see photos of what it looks like now.

Sorry to be so long winded. Any information is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
411 Hohurm Lane is not in Hawaii. Nor does it come up as a US address.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 AM

Hmmm.... OK. I wonder where "Hawaiian Army and Air Force Exchange Photo Lab APO 958" is, then? I don't even know where to go from here, since the album photos are definitely in Hawaii--I recognize some of the architecture and statuary, and the envelopes with their negatives match the photos. The photos were developed at that photo lab during the time I know he was stationed on Oahu. Which is why I figure the address was, at one time, at least, a valid Hawaiian address, possibly on the Army base. I wonder if it could have existed at one time, but development over the decades has deleted the street/lane? It would be nice to have a little bit more info. Most of my family older than my sister and I are dead--I have one Aunt-in-Law who has no clue, and one remaining Uncle (not the one who was married to my Aunt mentioned just now). Uncle verifies that Dad and Mom were in Hawaii at that time, but that's all he could tell me. All of my grandparents are deceased (my last remaining grandfather died 4 days before this past Christmas), so I have nowhere else to turn. Not that it's important in the scheme of things. I just wanted to find out more, since I miss my parents, and I never had the opportunity to ask about the pics in this album, having never seen it until after my mother had been dead several months.... *le sigh*

Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Just a guess. It may be too small a road to be on a map or no longer a road most likely at Fort Shafter. Try ebay for an old map of Fort Shafter or try calling the base.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Sherwoody. I'll give both a try. Is Fort Shafter a real name? I saw Scofield base, I think. I didn't see a Fort Shafter on the maps.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, Sherwoody. I'll give both a try. Is Fort Shafter a real name? I saw Scofield base, I think. I didn't see a Fort Shafter on the maps.
Sherwoody had a great ideal, i was going to add to his good suggestion by saying call the main post office in Oahu to. No one would know addresses better.

Further, since your talking about wantting to kinda get in touch with your parents experiences of Oahu? Might i suggest taking a look at this thread. Thou some of the era film wasn't the greatest it still gives you a glimpse of history.

So you want to move to Oahu or haved lived on the island for a short while? A must see, an interesting perception.

Good luck and Aloha

Old 02-23-2015, 06:51 AM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Could it be a misspelled address? Perhaps someone wrote out the address like it sounded to them but not how it was actually spelled ?

I only ask because there is a Hobron Lane in Waikiki. 411 Hobron Lane is now a high rise Apartment Building built in the 1970's. Don't know what was there before.

Long shot, but possible. Especially if he liked surfing in Waikiki.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
Well, this is kind of a long shot but there is a 411 Hobron Lane in Honolulu...a possibility if the stamp is distorted. https://goo.gl/maps/8v22W

oops! see poster above.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:46 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Quote:
Sorry, I posted this 2 min before I was asleep so is the result of a one min. search. lol I'll bet WaikikiBoy has the answer but it wouldn't hurt to call Fort Shafter.

There are a few CD members here that spent time in the military in Hawaii back in the day. Maybe they will chime in with first hand knowledge of the bases.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
Yes, Fort Shafter exists. Here is it's location on google maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on....classic&dg=brw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: