Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:22 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No, I wouldn't. Personally, I think graveyards just make for a lot of wasted space. Cremation makes so much more sense. When you are dead - you are dead, it doesn't matter.

Besides, since they were already paved over long ago, nobody knows who they are anyway.
Some cultures prefer cremation, some prefer burial. My opinion is that we should respect the cultural practices of the indigenous people. Some people actually think the indigenous people just want to disrupt progress when in reality these people are very much moved and affected by the lack of respect for their iwi kupuna. You may not agree with their cultural practices or values but you should at least respect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 03:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Some cultures prefer cremation, some prefer burial. My opinion is that we should respect the cultural practices of the indigenous people. Some people actually think the indigenous people just want to disrupt progress when in reality these people are very much moved and affected by the lack of respect for their iwi kupuna. You may not agree with their cultural practices or values but you should at least respect them.
Sometimes wars get started due to beliefs or cultural values. Doesn't mean they are right. Think back 70 years ago.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Sometimes wars get started due to beliefs or cultural values. Doesn't mean they are right. Think back 70 years ago.
Not disturbing kupunu iwi is not going to start wars. It respects and preserves the cultural values of the indigenous people. I'm the least religious person on the planet... but that doesn't mean I should write off the beliefs of others as folklore and silliness, particularly the indigenous people that we share this island with. As long as their beliefs are not infringing on my ability to maintain a fair standing in society, I have no problem standing side by side with them in full respect of their cultural beliefs.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
If someone bought land legally they shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of bones hundreds of years later.

If you were putting in a pool and they found a bone, you'd just walk away from the property?

Old 03-16-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
If someone bought land legally they shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of bones hundreds of years later.

If you were putting in a pool and they found a bone, you'd just walk away from the property?
If I found human remains on my property I would immediately contact the authorities. From there I would do whatever it took to oblige by state laws in place. The remains would be moved off site to a suitable location. And I'd then go out of my way to have the property blessed (hocus pocus stuff to you, I know) and would invite family members if it was even possible to ascertain kinship.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
If I found human remains on my property I would immediately contact the authorities. From there I would do whatever it took to oblige by state laws in place. The remains would be moved off site to a suitable location. And I'd then go out of my way to have the property blessed (hocus pocus stuff to you, I know) and would invite family members if it was even possible to ascertain kinship.
Just wondering, do you think that you would be allowed to move the remains off of your property?

When we were getting our lot cleared to build our house, the workers uncovered a rock wall. Some of the locals thought that it was an ancient wall and called in the state DLNR. We had to hire an archeologist ($1,500), who found out that the wall was actually built in the 1970s and was not ancient. While his investigation was being conducted, we were told by the locals that our property was an ancient worship site and we would never be allowed to build there. Thank goodness the DLNR (and the locals) accepted the archeologist's findings. Although even five years later people tell us that we built on top of an ancient heiau.

We did have the lot blessed before the clearing started, and we had the house blessed before moving in. We have never seen the "thousands of night marchers" that we were threatened with.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Just wondering, do you think that you would be allowed to move the remains off of your property?

When we were getting our lot cleared to build our house, the workers uncovered a rock wall. Some of the locals thought that it was an ancient wall and called in the state DLNR. We had to hire an archeologist ($1,500), who found out that the wall was actually built in the 1970s and was not ancient. While his investigation was being conducted, we were told by the locals that our property was an ancient worship site and we would never be allowed to build there. Thank goodness the DLNR (and the locals) accepted the archeologist's findings. Although even five years later people tell us that we built on top of an ancient heiau.

We did have the lot blessed before the clearing started, and we had the house blessed before moving in. We have never seen the "thousands of night marchers" that we were threatened with.
Yes, there are provisions for moving them to another location (or another spot on the property that is not to be built on). Bones don't necessarily have to come from Hawaiians hundreds of years ago. Maybe a missing person from a crime committed in the 70's. You never know.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu