Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 03:50 AM

48,571 posts, read 34,949,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
And you romanticise capitalism, presently ignoreing all the bad things currently to justify whats going on today. Its like a form of denial. Aye, USA and mainland #1 land of the free but ignoring that we have more of our population in prison then even communist china for example or that we have the highest wealth inequality etc. Hawaii needs more walmarts, 700ft towers, superfarry because it works but conveniently ignoring that same system has creatted the highest homeless population levels in Hawaii and prison population (but hey everyone elses problem has risen too so its all cool)
You know next to nothing about me. I hardly spew paragraph after paragraph on every thread. At best you have a couple of my opinions on specific items.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You know next to nothing about me. I hardly spew paragraph after paragraph on every thread. At best you have a couple of my opinions on specific items.
Hmm whats there to know Mikala43? Its not too difficult to determine where one stands in philosophy. All one has to do is observe where they stand on some issues to know, right?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:49 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,688,891 times
HBH, you go on and on about how the locals are the ones who are into protecting the aina, but from my own personal experience that doesn't really happen. I live here on the Big Island and I know what I see on a day to day basis.

The locals are the ones who camp out on the beaches, and it's the people like me and my friends (those dreaded mainland transplants) who go out and pick up all the trash left behind. I'm talking beer bottles and food and diapers and anything that the campers don't feel like taking back out with them.

Even though the dump is free and will take almost every kind of trash, it appears that it's too far for many people to drive to. My husband and I were exploring in our 4-wheel drive recently and found this place that was PILED with garbage, trash, furniture, appliances, etc. Some of the local people who live there would rather foul the aina then have to drive ten miles to the dump.

The Volcano National Park bought a section of land that had used as ranch land. The locals who owned it previously had cleared all of the native vegetation from hundreds of acres to make grazing pastures for cattle. Now that the Park owns it and the cattle have been removed, the native plants are starting to grow back. My husband and I are part of a group that spends one day a month planting ohia and koa and other native plants so that the land can go back to it's natural state and people that come to the park can see what a Hawaiian forest looks like. And, take a guess as to who is out there working with us, giving this love and respect to the aina?

Yes, Hawaii is a beautiful place to live, and there are many many people, locals and haoles alike, who care about preserving the culture and respecting the land. But it's not the fairy tale land that HBH seems to remember from 40 years ago.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:45 PM

^^^

But its ok Dreaming of Hawaii i used to think like you then i startted reading other books and having other experiences. So many people move to hawaii to make it their paradise instead of loving Hawaii for what it already is. Aloha

Old 04-20-2015, 12:54 PM

242 posts, read 392,239 times
I would have thought that HBH would be in favour of the Superferry. After all, he keeps advocating for the "old Hawaii". Back in the "old Hawaii" days, there were no planes, so getting from Island to Island would be by boat - the same mode of transportation that the Superferry would offer.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,477 times
Quote:
But its ok Dreaming of Hawaii i used to think like you then i startted reading other books and having other experiences.
The thing is Hawaiian By Heart, she isn't just reading about it, she is living it.
Sometimes I wonder if you actually read what others write before you reply. Dreaming Of Hawaii speaks the truth. Sadly, I have seen it for myself. I really wish you would go and see things for yourself. If you did, I think many of your opinions would change.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
The thing is Hawaiian By Heart, she isn't just reading about it, she is living it.
Sometimes I wonder if you actually read what others write before you reply. Dreaming Of Hawaii speaks the truth. Sadly, I have seen it for myself. I really wish you would go and see things for yourself. If you did, I think many of your opinions would change.
Hmmm interesting then how past decades/generations its the locals who cared and tried to protect the aina in Hawaii. And now your saying that isn't the case today? Hmmmm wonder why dat is? What changed then?

I could ask the same thing do others read my post b4 responding. Because this is what i postted http://www.city-data.com/forum/39289231-post18.html

An opinion. Just like being old dose not make one wise or Kupuna. Just like showing up for church every sunday dosnt make one a christian. Understand?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 04-20-2015 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 04:54 PM

181 posts, read 274,483 times
Quote:
And you romanticise capitalism, presently ignoreing all the bad things currently to justify whats going on today. Its like a form of denial. Aye, USA and mainland #1 land of the free but ignoring that we have more of our population in prison then even communist china for example or that we have the highest wealth inequality etc. Hawaii needs more walmarts, 700ft towers, superfarry because it works but conveniently ignoring that same system has creatted the highest homeless population levels in Hawaii and prison population (but hey everyone elses problem has risen too so its all cool)
The simple fact that you have a computer, electricity and Internet access makes you a hypocrite. You condemn capitalism, yet support it when it brings you what you want.

Do you live in a thatch hut? Live only on what you can gather from the soil, with a spear or using a gill net? Walk everywhere you go? If not, then you enjoy the wealth inequality that separates you from about a billion of the other people currently on the planet. You're just greedy, and jealous that others have more than you do.

Does smallpox terrify you, or did you get the inoculation, which was developed by greedy corporations so that you would live longer and keep buying their products?

Most of the people in prison got there because of their own actions. They like to hurt people, or they steal what they want. Yes, we have more people in prison than the PRC does, but that's because most of their convicts are on work farms, while the PRC only reports those prisoners who are in cells, while we report even those on work release, wearing ankle bracelets or on parole as being imprisoned until their sentences are up.

Just because YOU don't need an inter-island ferry doesn't mean that a lot of other people DO, and you have no right to make decisions for them.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM

960 posts, read 1,218,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post
Just because YOU don't need an inter-island ferry doesn't mean that a lot of other people DO, and you have no right to make decisions for them.
I think we'd both agree that everyone at least has the right to hold an opinion regarding a ferry system and a right to voice that opinion. I believe a ferry system is financially unsustainable in Hawaii without substantial government subsidies. Either it needs to be government run and at a huge loss and expense to the taxpayers. Or it would need to be licensed to a private company to operate but financially subsidized by the State. And there is not a valid State interest to justify a state run ferry system and no private company that would likely want to run one without heavy State backed financial guarantees.

It been tried many times and failed many time because there is not enough rider support to cover the costs. And it's not the governments business to provide and subsidize low cost inter-island transportation.

It's argued that the people want it. Well, the people have had a ferry system many times in the past. And even super low unprofitable fares could not get enough of them to actually buy a ticket.

Sure people like the "idea" but not enough to pay for tickets to ride.

The biggest beneficiaries of a government subsidized ferry system would be tourists. And unfortunately if the state continues to ever expand the number of tourists coming to islands, they will eventually destroy all that about the islands that currently draws tourists. I believe the residents have shown they support the idea in general, but not enough to buy a ticket enough tickets to make it sustainable. And making it easy for tourists to over-run all the neighbor islands with their cars will destroy those island eventually.

But bottom line for me is that it's not the states business to be subsidizing tourist travel around the island and residents have shown they won't buy enough tickets even at low prices to make this a profitable venture.

Just my option and I do respect your right to hold and voice your own on this issue.

Last edited by WaikikiBoy; 04-20-2015 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 06:49 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,113,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post

And I don't want to pay higher taxes to subsidize a luxury we clearly don't need and one that will have negative impacts on our environment and way of life for rural residents.

My goal is to stop the selfish/clueless public from pushing an idiotic idea forward and increasing the taxes I already pay.

Most of us sensible people have had enough with rail as it is. We don't need another white elephant stealing money from us hard working, tax-paying people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu